mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Chappy Chanuka everybody!

There are some wonderful books about Chanuka for kids and adults. I thought this thread might be a place to share what folks like (and don't like) about literary traditions around Chanuka.

We're giving my son this book (also here), which comes with a CD of the stories. I really enjoy NPR's Susan Stamberg, so I'm looking forward to listening to this too.

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I realize this is a bit late for this thread (the OP was made almost a year ago) but I just wanted to wish you all a Happy Hanukkah as well.

For me, this Hanukkah is my first celebration of the holiday. I don't know if I'm supposed to light the first candle tonight or the second one (Hanukkah, here, began last night at sundown), but I presently have two tea lights on a plate lit, with six more waiting to be lit. It is the only "Menorah" (sp?) I could get on such short notice.

I'm not exactly sure what I am doing, which I am sure could be a story in and of itself. But as Hanukkah is the first of the Jewish holidays to occur since I decided to follow the G-d of Israel, I find this a highly special occasion for me personally. In fact, I decided upon my path this very evening. I have taken what I understand to be a Gentile path to righteousness with the G-d of Israel, because I was born a Gentile. But I do not wish to ignore the wonderful things my Bible tells me G-d has done for Israel over the millennia.

I wish you all a Happy Hanukkah, and peace in all your habitations.

smiley10000

What do we do? We write...
Registered
Reaction score
You can pick up a menorah at most gift stores. Tea lights are fine though.

The lights should be lined up in a straight line all at an equal height. One extra light is used each night to light the others called the "Shamash". This light should be higher than the others (maybe put it on an upsidedown cup or something...)

You can light the candles if it helps your spirituality.

Each night you add one light.
For more information on how to light check here:aish.com

This is what a Kosher menorah would look like:
chanukiah.gif

Or a homemade one like what you were describing:
candles2.jpg

Happy Chanukah everyone. I'm off to make latkas...
:hooray:10000

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Big thanks for sharing, mommie!

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website