• Total voters

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
My father was a man of absurd excesses. When my sister and I were little, whenever he ran errands, he would bring us back a surprise. Eight times out of ten, it was a big bag of nastyass circus peanuts and hardly a surprise at all. We always ate them, because we didn't want to hurt his feeling.

I think they gave me brain damage, but that's beside the point.

I have to know, does anyone actually like circus peanuts?

Poll to follow

Last edited:

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I *lovelovelove* circus peanuts. There's nothing quite as awesome as legume-shaped lumps of pure straight-up sugar with orange coloring to ruin my daughters' day.

Meaning, of course, that I love to give 'em to the babies. Great fun ensues, especially when I save THAT little present until right before they get in the car for the four-hour drive back to Kentucky. Occasionally, I'll have one myself and then I spend the next week writhing in agony while my molars protest.

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
They're OK if I can't find any styrofoam packing peanuts and I have something fragile to ship. Other than that, no.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I must have lived a sheltered childhood, as I've never had a circus peanut before. Didn't even know what it was until I looked it up just now.

Doesn't appear too appetizing, so maybe I didn't miss out on much...

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:Jump:

Circus Peanuts!

My recollection was of a much softer confection than the hard ones I find nowadays.

*sigh*

But I do still buy them on occasion. Brach's is the only brand I see on store shelves locally. Bland, more of a funky puffed candy of sorts.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
I adore circus peanuts. In fact, just the other day, I ate an entire bag of them (in two sittings). And now that I'm thinking about them, I'm considering making hubs drive to the store and get me some more.

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
Poor Silver! Obviously that particular candy has built-in appeal for children, and not so much for adults.

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
http://nuts.com/chocolatessweets/old-time-candy/circus-peanuts/original.html?gclid=CIvW59vHoa8CFQ4zhwod6CfIZg

They are orange marshmallow candies.

I use to like them, but only if fresh. When old they get hard.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm amazed nobody has commented on their patently imitation banana flavor. It seems to be a unique part of the foamy orange circus peanut experience.

I kind of liked them as a child, but now I find the idea of eating one repellent.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Aw! They are very nostalgic for me, so yes, I do like them.

My paternal grandmother, a very austere woman, always had either orange circus peanuts or sugar 'orange slices' in her candy jar. You'd think that getting caught with your hand in the candy jar would be a bad experience at her place, because she was so incredibly rule-based. Nope. It always made her smile this sneaky smile :D

They were her favorites! That always cracked me up. Her, too.

KatieJ

I think I'm back....
Registered
Reaction score
I love them, probably partly because my great grandmother had them on a dish in her room. We couldn't eat candy, so my cousin and I would go visit her almost every day to have a circus peanut.

I haven't had one of those things in years! :)

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
the last argument my husband and i ever had was over circus peanuts. swear to god. he had a bag of those nasty pastel colored ones hidden from the kids--it was easter and they were on a peeps, jelly egg and circus peanut binge. i came across the bag and ate it out of sheer boredom. he was pissed because he loved them and i don't even like them. so he proceeded to eat my white choc bunny's nose for spite. --good times, good times--s6

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I loved those things as a kid, but they were different then. Most everything I remember from my childhood has changed in some way, and not for the better. As SWest mentioned, they were definitely softer and memory (the tricky devil) says they tasted better than they do now. So, I voted I'd eat them if I was starving.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Having googled them, I think I've seen those things. I don't think I've ever eaten one.

L.J.

Registered
Reaction score
I like circus peanuts. I haven't had them in a long time. I also like candy corn and orange slices, none of which I've had in a long time.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It's like eating slightly mummified, banana-flavoured nougat.
Um. Well. Gotta get me summa that, then. Ahem.

So...it sounds like these things are akin to those mysterious orange Hallowe'en blobs that come in waxed paper wrappers and are oddly addictive despite being utterly revolting in flavour.