The keys to epublishing success 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,all,

I've posted another analysis of successful epublishing authors for 2012. This one looks at 78 authors who have sold more than 50,000 ebooks.

http://derekjcanyon.blogspot.com/2012/04/keys-to-epublishing-success-2012.html

Quick story: 54% of the authors write in the romance or thriller genres, while 75% have 6 or more etitles available.

71% published their first ebook in 2010 or later.

Check out the blog for the nifty charts.

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
Does paranormal really outsell science fiction by 2:1? Whoa.

Cheers for the post.

DerekJCanyon

Registered
Reaction score
Kiwi, remember, my analysis is based on incomplete data. I can only analyze the authors that publicize their sales numbers. Having said that, paranormal does seem to be outselling scifi, unless scifi authors are staying mum about their sales.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
We also don't know what the people epublishing and not selling well look like. Data is good, but you have to be careful not to over stretch it. That said, it looks intuitively about right to me.

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
Kiwi, remember, my analysis is based on incomplete data. I can only analyze the authors that publicize their sales numbers. Having said that, paranormal does seem to be outselling scifi, unless scifi authors are staying mum about their sales.

Fair enough. Wasn't disputing it, just registering my surprise.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score

Cheers for the post.

I'm not surprised. I frequent the query letter section here in AW and I'm always surprised at the number of people writing paranormal/urban fiction.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
These books are self-published, not epublished. A title change might be in order for this thread.

I see your concern, but I think it being in the self-publishing section is enough, isn't it?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com

Cheers for the post.

I have no doubt that paranormal outsells SF at 2:1. However, in my strange, very strange case, my latest SF release has outsold my paranormal at a rate of 3:1. I attribute 85% of my sales to the free trials of the book and a prequel short story on Amazon.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
We are in the self-publishing forum and the title identifies the subset of epublished within self-published. Seems clear to me.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
These books are self-published, not epublished. A title change might be in order for this thread.

We are in the self-publishing forum and the title identifies the subset of epublished within self-published. Seems clear to me.

I've looked at the blog post in question and it's clearly discussing writers who have self-published electronic versions of their books. That they've self-published doesn't mean that they can't use the term "e-published", especially when it's correct (as it is in this case).

I do understand that e-publishing does not always equate to self-publishing but often it does. Sorry, mscelina, but I'm with veinglory here.

Status
Not open for further replies.