SCANDAL

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who watched it and what did you think? :)

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
Short: Saw it. Not impressed.

Long: Overly long, awkward, unbelievable info dumping dialogue trying to establish who the characters were and their relationships. MC, Olivia Pope, is too much of a Mary Sue, though that might will change in later episodes (hopefully). Predictable plot "twist" that genre savvy viewers can see coming in the first 20 minutes, but you still have to sit through 30 more minutes for the characters to catch up.

*Sigh* I really wanted to like this one. I'll give it one more episode.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
The promos I saw made it look like the show follows the exploits of one of those PR firms that specialize in making sure famous people never have to deal honestly with the consequences of their idiotic behavior. Is that about right, or did I misinterpret?

K. Taylor

Bah Humbug
Registered
Reaction score
Website
carlakrae.blogspot.com
Confession: When I watched the first episode of Shonda Rhimes' new ABC series Scandal, I liked it. But it didn't blow me away. And then I got my hands on screeners for the rest of the season and two to three episodes in…Kaplewey! I. Was. In. Pieces.
This new drama series, about a professional scandal "fixer" Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington), gets so dark, gritty, shocking and twisty, it reminds me of the best episodes of 24—coupled with the kind of romantic tension that makes you scream at your TV (I did).
I chatted with Shonda herself about what's ahead, and the most important thing she wants you to know is…

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't expect to like it because Kerry Washington is a really bad actress, IMO. After watching the first two episodes (ABC has next week's episode online), I'd probably tune in again and give the show another try. It's OK.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
The only place I remember Kerry Washington from is Boston Legal, which I loved and was secretly hoping Scandal would be similar to (controversial topics, making bad people look good, or good people look bad, witty/clever/"rapid-fire" dialogue :D ).

Hopefully this week's episode will be better.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
So no one else is watching season 2? Anyone? Bueller?

*Guilty confession*: I'm completely sucked into it, at this point.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I'm hooked! Washington's acting is cringe worthy, especially her emotional, teary eyed scenes, but the writing and storyline are excellent.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
What I really care about right now is Huck teaching Quinn to be a cleaner - it's complex and problematic and tragic and horrible, all at once. But Fitz, smothering the Supreme Court Justice, before she could come clean, then being all injured and holy?

Holy CRAP this is some serious-ass writing! It's nuanced, and original, and doesn't insult my intelligence.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
What I really care about right now is Huck teaching Quinn to be a cleaner - it's complex and problematic and tragic and horrible, all at once. But Fitz, smothering the Supreme Court Justice, before she could come clean, then being all injured and holy?

Holy CRAP this is some serious-ass writing! It's nuanced, and original, and doesn't insult my intelligence.

Hmmm. Sounds like I've missed quite a bit of stuff.

Maybe I shouldn't have given up on it after the first season.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I just watched last week's yesterday.

I LOVE this show! I think Kerry Washington is brilliant. The writers keep me guessing...and I was surprised this thread isn't busier!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
This is our favorite show (well, along with The Amerikans and Southland). I can't wait to see Quinn and Doyle in a room together...altho I suspect other characters (and the writers) shall conspire to keep their interaction to a minimum.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
This is our favorite show (well, along with The Amerikans and Southland). I can't wait to see Quinn and Doyle in a room together...altho I suspect other characters (and the writers) shall conspire to keep their interaction to a minimum.

Oh yeah. That's coming at some point. It will be interesting to see what develops between those two.

I'm also interested for the writers to expand upon Harrison's character a bit. He's so blindly and fiercely loyal to Olivia. I want to know what she did for him to make him that way.

(as a side note, my husband likes The Americans. What season is it on? Maybe I'll catch up (he started watching the series without me))

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Oh yeah. That's coming at some point. It will be interesting to see what develops between those two.
Hopefully tonight, when Doyle's daughter is "kidnapped".

Also, I want David to join the firm, but then I think it sets them up as taking in all the strays...So, I'm torn.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
David totally needs to join the firm, and be all conflicted and angsty, which sets up a terrific betrayal-gone-horribly-awry.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah, Mac. Definitely! It's only a matter of time before he does. I have to try to watch last night's episode tonight.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh! I just started this last week and am about 5 episodes into season 2 now. LOVE it. I know it's not perfect, but I can't stop watching. My favorite character is Huck. Oh man.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you caught up, CrastersBabies? I just watched the season finale today. Oh. Em. Gee. Didn't see that one coming!