PDA

View Full Version : SCANDAL

Lavern08
04-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Who watched it and what did you think? :)

Little Ming
04-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Short: Saw it. Not impressed.

Long: Overly long, awkward, unbelievable info dumping dialogue trying to establish who the characters were and their relationships. MC, Olivia Pope, is too much of a Mary Sue, though that might will change in later episodes (hopefully). Predictable plot "twist" that genre savvy viewers can see coming in the first 20 minutes, but you still have to sit through 30 more minutes for the characters to catch up.

*Sigh* I really wanted to like this one. I'll give it one more episode.

Manuel Royal
04-07-2012, 06:12 AM
The promos I saw made it look like the show follows the exploits of one of those PR firms that specialize in making sure famous people never have to deal honestly with the consequences of their idiotic behavior. Is that about right, or did I misinterpret?

K. Taylor
04-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Confession: When I watched the first episode of Shonda Rhimes' new ABC series Scandal, I liked it. But it didn't blow me away. And then I got my hands on screeners for the rest of the season and two to three episodes in…Kaplewey! I. Was. In. Pieces.
This new drama series, about a professional scandal "fixer" Olivia Pope (Kerry Washington (http://www.eonline.com/celebs/Kerry_Washington/113475)), gets so dark, gritty, shocking and twisty, it reminds me of the best episodes of 24—coupled with the kind of romantic tension that makes you scream at your TV (I did).
I chatted with Shonda herself about what's ahead, and the most important thing she wants you to know is…

Read more: http://www.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/scandal_scoop_from_shonda_rhimes/306829#ixzz1rKlAT9p6

BarbaraSheridan
04-07-2012, 06:48 PM
I liked it enough to give it another look.

Lavern08
04-07-2012, 07:43 PM
I liked it enough to give it another look.

Me too, but the "rapid-fire" dialogue is very annoying. :flag:

escritora
04-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I didn't expect to like it because Kerry Washington is a really bad actress, IMO. After watching the first two episodes (ABC has next week's episode online), I'd probably tune in again and give the show another try. It's OK.

Little Ming
04-10-2012, 04:47 AM
The only place I remember Kerry Washington from is Boston Legal, which I loved and was secretly hoping Scandal would be similar to (controversial topics, making bad people look good, or good people look bad, witty/clever/"rapid-fire" dialogue :D ).

Hopefully this week's episode will be better.

MacAllister
03-23-2013, 08:16 AM
So no one else is watching season 2? Anyone? Bueller?

*Guilty confession*: I'm completely sucked into it, at this point.

escritora
03-23-2013, 08:31 AM
Oh, I'm hooked! Washington's acting is cringe worthy, especially her emotional, teary eyed scenes, but the writing and storyline are excellent.

MacAllister
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM
What I really care about right now is Huck teaching Quinn to be a cleaner - it's complex and problematic and tragic and horrible, all at once. But Fitz, smothering the Supreme Court Justice, before she could come clean, then being all injured and holy?

Holy CRAP this is some serious-ass writing! It's nuanced, and original, and doesn't insult my intelligence.

Silver-Midnight
03-23-2013, 11:04 AM
I've been watching since Season 1. I'm watching Season 2 now as well.

I really like it. I think it's awesome.

Did anyone watch this week's episode?

BarbaraSheridan
03-23-2013, 03:45 PM
What I really care about right now is Huck teaching Quinn to be a cleaner - it's complex and problematic and tragic and horrible, all at once. But Fitz, smothering the Supreme Court Justice, before she could come clean, then being all injured and holy?

Holy CRAP this is some serious-ass writing! It's nuanced, and original, and doesn't insult my intelligence.

Hmmm. Sounds like I've missed quite a bit of stuff.

Maybe I shouldn't have given up on it after the first season.

Silver-Midnight
03-23-2013, 08:49 PM
Hmmm. Sounds like I've missed quite a bit of stuff.

Maybe I shouldn't have given up on it after the first season.

I (personally) think it's a lot better this season honestly. There probably still some problems. But overall, I really like the show still.

Lavern08
03-24-2013, 01:49 AM
So no one else is watching season 2? Anyone? Bueller?

Nope Mac, it just didn't rope me in. :Shrug:

MacAllister
03-24-2013, 07:14 AM
Did anyone watch this week's episode?

I did, yes - but I haven't checked to see what the rooms spoilers guidelines are, yet, so was trying not to ruin it for anyone who hadn't, yet. :D

Alpha Echo
03-25-2013, 09:43 PM
I just watched last week's yesterday.

I LOVE this show! I think Kerry Washington is brilliant. The writers keep me guessing...and I was surprised this thread isn't busier!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-27-2013, 05:46 AM
This is our favorite show (well, along with The Amerikans and Southland). I can't wait to see Quinn and Doyle in a room together...altho I suspect other characters (and the writers) shall conspire to keep their interaction to a minimum.

Alpha Echo
03-28-2013, 07:46 PM
This is our favorite show (well, along with The Amerikans and Southland). I can't wait to see Quinn and Doyle in a room together...altho I suspect other characters (and the writers) shall conspire to keep their interaction to a minimum.

Oh yeah. That's coming at some point. It will be interesting to see what develops between those two.

I'm also interested for the writers to expand upon Harrison's character a bit. He's so blindly and fiercely loyal to Olivia. I want to know what she did for him to make him that way.

(as a side note, my husband likes The Americans. What season is it on? Maybe I'll catch up (he started watching the series without me))

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-29-2013, 03:29 AM
Oh yeah. That's coming at some point. It will be interesting to see what develops between those two.

Hopefully tonight, when Doyle's daughter is "kidnapped".

Also, I want David to join the firm, but then I think it sets them up as taking in all the strays...So, I'm torn.

MacAllister
03-29-2013, 03:33 AM
David totally needs to join the firm, and be all conflicted and angsty, which sets up a terrific betrayal-gone-horribly-awry.

Alpha Echo
03-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Oh, yeah, Mac. Definitely! It's only a matter of time before he does. I have to try to watch last night's episode tonight.

cmi0616
04-01-2013, 03:56 AM
I caught an episode of this last week. It looked really good, I'm going to have to go back and watch them when I get a chance.

CrastersBabies
04-17-2013, 03:18 AM
Ahh! I just started this last week and am about 5 episodes into season 2 now. LOVE it. I know it's not perfect, but I can't stop watching. My favorite character is Huck. Oh man.

Alpha Echo
05-18-2013, 11:06 PM
Have you caught up, CrastersBabies? I just watched the season finale today. Oh. Em. Gee. Didn't see that one coming!

CrastersBabies
05-18-2013, 11:08 PM
Alpha, I am totally caught up. I'm worried about Quinn! And Yeah, big twist at the end there. Holy cow.

I loved Rosen's final "GOTCHA." He's definitely on par with the big boys now.

Alpha Echo
05-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Oh, good! I was hoping it wasn't just me who was SHOCKED that he is her dad! LOL And yeah. Rosen's play was awesome. I was impressed. He's evolved from...at the beginning, a strong lawyer firmly believing in what's right and seeing a clear line between right and wrong, to then sort of weak (and who wouldn't be) after being used and destroyed...and now he's back! But that clear line is blurred (which is best for TV!)

I have a girl crush on Olivia Pope, I have to admit. She's such a strong, hard woman, but also vulnerable. And of course, she's gorgeous.

CrastersBabies
05-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Kerry Washington is amazing. I had no desire to see Django Unchained (just kind of over Tarantino at the moment) but knowing Washington is in it, I'm going to get on that. Hardcore.

Alpha Echo
05-21-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah. She was great in it. Not a major roll (not a lot of screen time but an important character), but she's just such a very intense actor, you know? Does that make sense? Rich. Deep. Like the difference between yummy mashed potatoes and then REALLY yummy mashed potatoes with all the ingredients (cheese, garlic, onion...)

I'm hungry, I guess. LOL

Or just tired. I was going to go for a literature simile, but I couldn't think of one.

Silver-Midnight
05-22-2013, 11:11 AM
That season finale left me speechless for a minute. I'm being honest. I just....Just wow.

However, again, my favorite scene, in the season as a whole I think, was the whole thing at Olivia's apartment that had "I think you think I'd never choose you". Ugh, that scene. I just like it so much. (It was from the episode about two episodes before the finale ).

Alpha Echo
11-26-2013, 11:38 PM
Anyone still watching this show? And loving it?

thebloodfiend
11-27-2013, 07:29 PM
I watched season 1 and 2. It was okay. Pretty much what I expected from the creator of Grey's Anatomy.

I've watched too many investigative/procedural shows so I was never exactly surprised by any of the plot twists or reveals. Kerry Washington is better than she used to be. Though, I'm sorry, but the romance just bothers the shit out of me. The will they/won't they here is worse than that between McDreamy and Meredith. Which is mostly why I haven't been watching season 3.

Putputt
11-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Ahh, is season 3 out? Mr. Putt and I watch, but we're not in love with it. I think the problem is that we also watch The Good Wife, which is about 2137381241987 times better than Scandal when it comes to character depth. Given that both shows include a heavy dose of law and politics, we can't help but keep comparing the two. I hate the melodramatic way Kerry Washington talks in Scandal. I just want to take her hand and say, "You know you can convey intensity and excitement even in hushed tones, right?"

I think the other problem for me is that I don't really like Fitz. The only time I liked him was when he killed the Supreme Court Justice. Loved that. All other times I felt he was about as interesting as a boiled egg, so the whole "will they/won't they" thing just doesn't grab me.

All in all, good enough to watch when there's nothing else on. :/

escritora
11-27-2013, 07:42 PM
Anyone still watching this show? And loving it?

Yes!!! The twist. The rape. The question about who's the father. The relationship with the president and his wife is what I find most interesting.

Kerri Washington's storyline... well, I've said it before. Her acting is bleh, IMO. And I do think the adultery plot is getting tired. I don't care whether or not she ends up with the president.

Alpha Echo
11-27-2013, 07:56 PM
Yes!!! The twist. The rape. The question about who's the father. The relationship with the president and his wife is what I find most interesting.

Kerri Washington's storyline... well, I've said it before. Her acting is bleh, IMO. And I do think the adultery plot is getting tired. I don't care whether or not she ends up with the president.

The bolded I agree with...but I also find the Huck/Quinn line. THAT is getting crazy! Did you watch last week's yet? I knew Huck would know she killed the guard. He is way too smart for that, and she is way too careless.

I think Millie is getting more and more interesting. I can't quite get a read on her. I can't decide whether or not she ever loved Finn or whether she's always used him. But yes, the rape surprised me and sort of explained some things.

As for the affair...there is still a part of me that wants them together. I can't help it. I don't know why. I know it's old, and sometimes it annoys me, and I thought it was over when she destroyed the phone. Oh well.

I love this show, and I think Kerri Washington is a good actress. I will admit, grudgingly, that she seems to have one emotion. It's rare to see her happy or anything other than...distraught. Then again, her character's story kind of calls for that. I don't think I'd be happy if I had her father and life either.

escritora
11-27-2013, 08:45 PM
but I also find the Huck/Quinn line. THAT is getting crazy! Did you watch last week's yet?

I did, and I'm glad Huck is on to her because I don't want the plot line to go into unbelievability land.

I can't quite get a read on her. I can't decide whether or not she ever loved Finn or whether she's always used him.

I think she loves him, even today.

Ha, ha. Talking about them as though they are real people.

I don't think I'd be happy if I had her father and life either.

This season Shonda Rhimes is showing a different side of the father, I think. He's still rough around the edges, but it seems that he saved his wife life. I'm interested to find out more about him as his character develops.

Alpha Echo
11-27-2013, 09:52 PM
I did, and I'm glad Huck is on to her because I don't want the plot line to go into unbelievability land.

Yes. But beyond that, it would be unbelievable if Huck WASN'T on to her. I'm not so sure his tools are necessary, though. Damn. I have never really liked Quinn, and she was pissing me off. So I can't wait to find out what happens.

I think she loves him, even today.

Ha, ha. Talking about them as though they are real people.

My sister and I talk about Scandal every week. Except she's behind a couple episodes right now, and I'm dying! LOL

This season Shonda Rhimes is showing a different side of the father, I think. He's still rough around the edges, but it seems that he saved his wife life. I'm interested to find out more about him as his character develops.

Yeah...I think you're right. But if he knew the plane was carrying explosives or whatever BEFORE his wife got on the plane...why not take care of the plane before it takes off and save everybody's life?

Do you think CIA operatives are really like that? Or that we have some underground spy ops that no one knows about at all, training people to follow directions and be like Huck? Scary thought.

Oh, and I was totally grossed out by Olivia's mom biting her wrists. I don't think I've ever seen anything like that on prime time. Had to look away and gagged a little.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
03-31-2014, 01:08 PM
Come on! I can't be the only one still suffering as the Pope-Cycle revs its engines at the side of the shark tank!

No one's discussing this show any more.

Alpha Echo
04-01-2014, 10:49 PM
I'm still watching it! But I need to catch up on last week's episode still. I love it!

bluelight
04-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Come on! I can't be the only one still suffering as the Pope-Cycle revs its engines at the side of the shark tank!

No one's discussing this show any more.

Kind of a newbie around these parts but I love this show! Am I the only one completely grossed out by Huck and Quinn? I thought it would stop with him licking her face last season, but I should have known better. Watching them suck each other's faces these past two episodes was gross beyond belief.

Hopefully Mellie can keep getting some side action with the VP. She's too good for Fitz. Olivia is too, but for some reason I still want them to end up together. I don't know why. If she were my friend I would not be hft mess.

Alpha Echo
04-04-2014, 11:03 PM
Ack! I have 2 weeks to catch up on now!!!

Welcome bluelight! :) I actually HATED Mellie until this season. This season, for some reason, I really like her, and I like her with the VP running mate too. I like Fitz less and less. I used to really want him and Olivia together, but now...I'm not so sure. I'd rather see her with Jake.

Of course that's a whole other mess!

bluelight
04-05-2014, 12:17 AM
Ack! I have 2 weeks to catch up on now!!!

Welcome bluelight! :) I actually HATED Mellie until this season. This season, for some reason, I really like her, and I like her with the VP running mate too. I like Fitz less and less. I used to really want him and Olivia together, but now...I'm not so sure. I'd rather see her with Jake.

Of course that's a whole other mess!

Hi Alpha! Wait til you catch up with the past two weeks. They're all such a hot mess. It's crazy!

I've always like Mellie, but I'm definitely in the minority. Fitz becomes less sympathetic and likable each passing week.

Alpha Echo
04-07-2014, 08:33 PM
I am caught up! I'm not even sure what to say. The kids...Mellie getting caught. I wish she would just tell Fitz what his dad did to her.

And Olivia's mom!!! Yeesh!

kej115
04-14-2014, 06:27 AM
Ugh, I'm so annoyed because I got addicted to Scandal from Netflix, finished the first two seasons that are on it, and now I really want to see the third season...only its not on Netflix of course! Not online, either. Don't know how I will survive ahhhhh haha

Alpha Echo
12-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Wow...is anyone watching this anymore? Because I just have to say...WOW. This season has ROCKED! And the mid-season finale...OMG!

Maryn
12-02-2014, 01:15 AM
Interesting, in that we had the opposite reaction. Every week we'd vow that if it got any sillier we'd stop watching it, but we haven't, watching right up to the finale.

I had a lot of trouble suspending my disbelief about multiple circumstances and character behaviors--as in, nearly every character's backstory makes his or her present actions implausible.

But hey, if you loved it, that's great. Share what you loved most? Maybe with spoiler warnings for those yet to catch up.

Maryn, who'd have dumped Fitz ages ago, and later, dumped Jake

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
12-02-2014, 04:56 AM
Maryn, who'd have dumped Fitz ages ago, and later, dumped JakeYeah, what is up with women on tv lately? I begin to suspect that I am the biggest feminist I know and I'm a gay dude.

Between Olivia Pope's lips quivering atop her glass of wine as she tries to decide which of the alpha males in her life (including her father) should be the one telling her what to think, do, and feel to Daisy Grant (I know, I'm referencing other shows, other networks...in this case, Madam Secretary) kissing that idiot Matt as a reward for proving that she has no agency, what are these female characters thinking??? (and the MS episode was written by a woman!).

Um, okay, rant done. I confess I haven't actually watched the last episode of Scandal, but yeah, the whole B6 (B16?) story about a superpowerful government agency which answers to no one and "defends the republic" has always been too pandering for my tastes and I wish they'd finish it already.

CrastersBabies
12-02-2014, 05:31 AM
The dialogue is getting to me.

(spoken in an Olivia Pope voice...)
Because it is repetitive. Repetitive and over-annunciated. Repetitive and intense and ongoing and using a lot of 'ands' and that is why it's bothering me. THAT is why I'm struggling. Struggling to ignore the patterns. Patterns that you CAN'T ignore anymore. Because ignoring... ignoring.... it's impossible. So impossible that no matter how hard you try to engage, how hard you try to set it aside, how hard you try to move it out of your brain, you can't. You CAN'T. You can't because it won't let you, because it just won't let you. Because when you sleep at night, you can't forget. You can't ignore.

(Okay, I can't Shonda-out on you anymore. My brain just exploded.)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
12-02-2014, 07:21 AM
The dialogue is getting to me.We call them arias around our house (How to get away with murder has them too). They are arias rather than monologues because they're operatic: histrionic and self-indulgent.

CrastersBabies
12-02-2014, 07:44 AM
Ooo, arias. I like that!

Alpha Echo
12-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Yes. I do completely agree that Fitz should just go.

Let's see...I just think it's insane. No, it's not believable. The characters...sometimes I wish they would smile. There's so very little smiling.

BUT...this show just has me hooked. I can't believe that Olivia actually took a shot at her father, but conversely, I can't believe her father was surprised. He's become so horrible to her. There were times I really thought maybe he loves her, but if he does, it's with a new definition of love.

But then, Olivia's version of love is really twisted too.

I DO like; however, that she decided to "choose me." Meaning - she want's Fitz, and she wants Jake, and she's going to be happy, dammit!

At the very end of the last episode, Olivia is with Jake. He's told her he loves her, and she's told him she wants him AND Fitz. Jake's still willing to stay. He's so excited running through the house for something (I can't remember what), and the music was building, and I had butterflies, and I knew something bad was going to happen. I didn't think it would be that Olivia was kidnapped.

[QUOTE=CrastersBabies;9194314]The dialogue is getting to me.

(spoken in an Olivia Pope voice...)
Because it is repetitive. Repetitive and over-annunciated. Repetitive and intense and ongoing and using a lot of 'ands' and that is why it's bothering me. THAT is why I'm struggling. Struggling to ignore the patterns. Patterns that you CAN'T ignore anymore. Because ignoring... ignoring.... it's impossible. So impossible that no matter how hard you try to engage, how hard you try to set it aside, how hard you try to move it out of your brain, you can't. You CAN'T. You can't because it won't let you, because it just won't let you. Because when you sleep at night, you can't forget. You can't ignore.

(Okay, I can't Shonda-out on you anymore. My brain just exploded.)

OMG, this completely cracked me up! I do love the show, but you are spot on!

Alpha Echo
12-02-2014, 11:52 PM
It took a minute for me to remember everything (too many mid-season finales in my head).

The scandal with Cyrus - for those who don't know, he had an affair with a male prostitute (if you can call it affair). The man was actually working for the Vice President and spying on Cyrus. Long story short (I think), pictures of the two of them leaked. Cyrus was ready to resign, but Olivia forced him to stand up like a man...and marry the prostitute (who actually seems to have feelings of some sort for Cyrus and agreed, for a fee). I was glad though. Cyrus' strong personality had been fading.

Then we've got the craziness with David and Quinn. Their relationship is messed up, to say the least. David actually was contracted to kill Quinn (B613 now basically consists of Rowan only, and he's out to kill everyone who knows anything about everything he's done.). Quinn found out though, and they had a fighting brawl...both are still alive.

I love Abby in her new position in the White House, and I think she's good for Millie (whom I didn't like at first...then I did...then I didn't...now I do again. LOL)

OMG speaking of whom...Millie is (for those who don't know) having an affair with the VP. The VP is also having an affair with the chairwoman of the Republican National Committee (she also commissioned the prostitute). Mille's last words to the chairwoman were priceless.

Maryn
12-02-2014, 11:58 PM
Talk with me, fellow viewers. Am I not the only person who thinks that, in light of
the fact that Fitz and Jake were once very close,
Jake and Fitz both love the same woman, and that
Olivia says she wants them boththe things that need to happen are
Fitz needs to find and jail Olivia's father for treason,
Fitz needs to free Jake and ensure no prosecution can take place,
Fitz needs to resign for "personal reasons",
Fitz needs to file for divorce, being very generous to Melly and accepting blame for the marriage's failure, and
Olivia, Jake, and Fitz need to have a three-way relationship which includes time in the house Fitz had built and on the tropical island.
That would totally work. Of course, it won't stop the speeches or make Olivia seem actually happy, but then, nothing will.

Maryn, solving all the problems

Alpha Echo
12-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Maryn, I agree 100%. That's what needs to happen.

Except then...what would happen to the show?

I am curious what will happen once Fritz' second term is up, though. Will they end the show?

I really don't want them to.

CrastersBabies
12-03-2014, 12:49 AM
I love Cyrus. He must never be killed off. EVER!

Or Mellie.

Alpha Echo
12-03-2014, 06:14 PM
I agree, Crasters. I'm also really digging Abby.