Finding a Proofreader

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustJas

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a couple of books on Amazon and it's come to my attention that I need a proofreader. I really shudder when I find typos in my books because they seem to confirm all the negative things that are said about indie authors.

I plan to write mainly novellas up to around 20,000 words and I was hoping someone could tell me roughly how much I should expect to pay for professional proofreading?

Last edited:

J. Tanner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorjtanner.wordpress.com
I've seen several proofreading rates in the .0025-.0050 per word range so for your length in the $50-100 range. Some of these are also per-word estimates based on actual hourly rates so extremely shoddy mss could be cost outliers since they will require more than typical editing.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the UK's Society for Editors and Proofreaders: you'll probably find people there who could help you; and you might well find a similar organisation which is more local for you, if you look around.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone add themselves to that list on the Kindle Boards, Parametric? Because if so, there's no indication that anyone there offers a good service and I'd be concerned using it as a resource.

Yes, I know I'm an old stick-in-the-mud: but I've seen so many self-published books which have apparently been "professionally edited" which are full of errors and problems that I'm now very skeptical of the standards of many of the editing services available.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone add themselves to that list on the Kindle Boards, Parametric? Because if so, there's no indication that anyone there offers a good service and I'd be concerned using it as a resource.

Yes, I know I'm an old stick-in-the-mud: but I've seen so many self-published books which have apparently been "professionally edited" which are full of errors and problems that I'm now very skeptical of the standards of many of the editing services available.

You're not a stick-in-the-mud! You look out for writers, and I value that. :Hug2:

Yes, anyone can add themselves to the list, and caveat emptor does apply. I wouldn't suggest hiring anybody without checking their experience and getting a satisfactory sample edit. (I have also seen some terrible books which have supposedly been edited, so I know whereof you speak.)

I'm saving up to join the SfEP and take their proofreading classes. I got hooked while interning at H0dder. Stacks of page proofs. Stacks! :D

JustJas

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, it's very important to make sure someone can actually deliver on what they promise as its so easy for anyone these days to claim to be a proofreader / editor. Thanks for the links as these are good places to begin :)

Status
Not open for further replies.