PDA

View Full Version : Looking for beta reader. REVISED POST.

kkbe
04-06-2012, 04:19 AM
Caution: Adult theme, some sexually explicit scenes, language.

I'm revising this post to clarify the plot. The description I provided in my original posting, from a query I was working on, didn't do it.

I'm looking for a beta reader for my novel, CHERRY, 68,500 words. I've posted the first 950+ words (Prologue and 1/2 of Cpt. One) on SYW Contemp. Fiction, http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241915. I hope to post a little more to give you a clearer sense of story, writing style, etc.

David Brandt is a suicidal college professor whose life changes the night he meets Cherry.

Cherry, an eighteen-year-old prostitute, is a loveable nutcase with a whacked, unshakeable belief system: he believes he's destined to die before he reaches nineteen. Meanwhile, he lives his life according to his "moral code": a set of rules given to him by the ghost of his mother when he was twelve.

David can't help it, he's falling for the kid, whom he might not be able to save in spite of his best intentions. As D-Day approaches, Dave's inner turmoil magnifies: he's trying to save a kid who doesn't want to be saved, and he's grappling with the possibility that there's no point in living if the damn kid dies.

I'm looking for general impressions relative to plot and characterization. Also, if the dialogue rings true (heavy on dialogue), how everything flows, glaring gaffs, thoughts on the ending. . .

Thank you very much for your consideration.

kkbe
04-07-2012, 05:25 AM
Keep the faith.

Fallen
04-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't mind reading the first chapter to see if we gel. Just give us a pm when you're ready. ;)

Edit: I don't beta work on site, hence why I'm not following any links.