PDA

View Full Version : [Internship] Research Assistants needed for signatory film company

M. Scott
04-04-2012, 09:17 PM
I've recently started working for BDE Entertainment in Beverly Hills. Now, before anyone bumps into the old location problem, you can do this from ANYWHERE. It doesn't matter if you've never worked on movies before. All we need is people capable of following directions and getting results.

Here's the deal:

BDE is owned by movie producer Bob DeBrino, who worked on Find Me Guilty with Vin Diesel. He's worked with Tom Sizemore, Gary Busey, and others. In the same building is Gray Frederickson, who's done some historically noteworthy work.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0292875/

So, since we're starting up in a new office, we're going to need some people to take the pressure off us when it comes to research. We'll give you a name, maybe some exact sources to track down, and you prepare it for us in workable formats (word documents, etc). You'll report primarily to me. Though the hours are basically part time, we need to be able to reach you during the day over the phone.

Then there's the lingering question - pay. This will be treated more like an internship. You'll get hours in with a signatory movie company, which can be very helpful when getting into the business. You type out your hour sheets to send to me, and it can be applied towards guild membership and the like.

If this interests you, respond below. You can communicate with me via e-mail at Matthew.S.Surprenant@gmail.com. I ask that you send a resume along, just to get an idea of who you are as a person. Provided you appear to be capable, I'll give you the e-mail address of Bob DeBrino himself, and someone (if not him directly), will get in touch with you. He can be firm, but, in my experience, he's quite reasonable.

Many thanks!

M. Scott
04-05-2012, 12:19 AM
I've recently started working for BDE Entertainment in Beverly Hills. Now, before anyone bumps into the old location problem, you can do this from ANYWHERE. It doesn't matter if you've never worked on movies before. All we need is people capable of following directions and getting results.

Here's the deal:

BDE is owned by movie producer Bob DeBrino, who worked on Find Me Guilty with Vin Diesel. He's worked with Tom Sizemore, Gary Busey, and others. In the same building is Gray Frederickson, who's done some historically noteworthy work.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0292875/

So, since we're starting up in a new office, we're going to need some people to take the pressure off us when it comes to research. We'll give you a name, maybe some exact sources to track down, and you prepare it for us in workable formats (word documents, etc). You'll report primarily to me. Though the hours are basically part time, we need to be able to reach you during the day over the phone.

Then there's the lingering question - pay. This will be treated more like an internship. You'll get hours in with a signatory movie company, which can be very helpful when getting into the business. You type out your hour sheets to send to me, and it can be applied towards guild membership and the like.

If this interests you, respond below. You can communicate with me via e-mail at Matthew.S.Surprenant@gmail.com. I ask that you send a resume along, just to get an idea of who you are as a person. Provided you appear to be capable, I'll give you the e-mail address of Bob DeBrino himself, and someone (if not him directly), will get in touch with you. He can be firm, but, in my experience, he's quite reasonable.

Many thanks!

cjcurrie
04-05-2012, 12:37 AM
Can you clarify on the research? Are your freelancers "digging", looking for scoops, doing general historical research, or what?

M. Scott
04-05-2012, 03:29 AM
What it tends to be is the exploration of a specific person. For instance, let's say we've optioned a film on Sammy Gravano (which we haven't. Our topics tend to be lesser-known stories we're trying to bring into the mainstream, most of them with a crime orientation).

What we'd do is find out a few specific articles or footage we'd want you to track down. It could be as simple as searching online. In other cases, you may need to send requests to libraries. If a magazine or paper is out of print, request a microfilm copy from the library of congress. When it comes to old footage, get an internet link or contact studio archives. Nothing is absurdly time intensive, but requires using the networks people established by libraries and companies. It may go as far as talking to an agent or PR representing whoever holds the rights to a footage. There is no punishment if you can't find a source, but we expect you to push a bit.

In certain cases, we'll give you a name and tell you to dig up whatever you can. If we gave you the name of a CEO who broke the law, we'd want to know the history of that person: the company (s)he got his foot in the door with, noteworthy facts about their youth, how they got into the larger company and the foundations of that company, and maybe where that person is now.

The benefit of this is getting industry contacts and experience. I hate to say it, but positions in this business start with internships. What you're getting is the opportunity to say your work went towards a commercial feature film in a resume/IMDB profile. It's a foot in the door.

M. Scott
04-09-2012, 03:45 AM
All applications can be sent via e-mail to Matthew.S.Surprenant@gmail.com . If your situation and skills look good, I’ll give you the producer’s direct e-mail.

BDE Entertainment with Bob DeBrino (Find Me Guilty, The Vatican Connection) is seeking research assistants to help take the load off of current staff. This can be done at home, via computer, from anywhere. Yes, that means you don’t have to be in California. Time involved is logged and can be applied towards guild membership. If you're the kind of person who wants to get into the industry through connections, this is a good opportunity. Just a few points:

1. We'll try to be flexible with your availability. What matters is that we can reach you during the day now and then. Work ranges 2-5 days a week, 2-8 hours per day. Just let us know what works.

2. If you’re interested in looking up data with a crime orientation (mafia, etc), you’ll have fun with what we throw your way.

3. Requires some aggression and persistence. If we want you to look for articles/footage, you'll likely have to contact local libraries, the library of congress (for older material), or publication companies to get archived materials. We'll handle the licensing, unless otherwise discussed.

4. We ask for loyalty, honesty and respect. Non-circumvention agreements are signed and data must not be shared with industry contacts outside the company.

5. Though the assignments may be minimal, they are important. The information you provide has a domino effect and can affect whether or not a film is greenlit.

6. Be aware that, if we give you the names of industry contacts to work with, please focus on the duties assigned, not pitching your scripts directly to them.

7. If at any point you feel this kind of work isn’t for you, let us know. Plenty of people are vying to get into the industry, we want people willing to keep getting work done.