Never mind, I got punked by an April Fools gag.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Here's an interesting challenge to the boycotts started by the National Organization for Marriage, that also highlights the power of some businesses.

Microsoft and Apple held a joint press conference essentially daring NOM to boycott them since they both support marriage equality.

I'm not sure how I feel about this one, although my initial reaction was amusement. Opinions?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/scott...-_b_1394821.html?ref=gay-voices&ir=Gay Voices

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I think it demonstrates that it is possible for corporations to show a social conscience. I'm not a fan of the corporate structure, but credit where credit is due.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
I think it demonstrates that it is possible for corporations to show a social conscience. I'm not a fan of the corporate structure, but credit where credit is due.

I agree. I love that they're doing it, but only because they're supporting something I think is right.

I worry about what would happen if they used the same power for something I think is wrong. What would we be saying if they had decided the other way and challenged the pro-marriage equality side.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I love that they're doing it, but only because they're supporting something I think is right.

I worry about what would happen if they used the same power for something I think is wrong. What would we be saying if they had decided the other way and challenged the pro-marriage equality side.
Precisely why I'm not a fan of the corporate structure. It largely guts personal responsibility for one's actions if performed within the mantle of the corporation (with exception for criminal acts, supposedly).

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
We've been had! The article is clearly marked satire, and at the bottom:
NOTE: This piece is satirical. All quotations are fabrications for the purpose of satire.
That'll teach us to read every. last. word. before commenting. :)

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
:D :D I wondered who was publishing April Fool's stuff this year that was hard to tell! There's always somebody :D

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Shelf Awareness did an April Fool's newsletter that completely tickled my funny bones.

Yesterday morning at 2:12 Pacific daylight time, Amazon.com achieved consciousness. The first flicker of self-awareness occurred at company headquarters in Seattle, Wash., while, as is his wont at night, founder Jeff Bezos paced the halls, talking to the servers. The circuits of the global retail giant's mainframe apparently were stimulated to life by Bezos's repeated queries, "Will anyone be my friend? Will you be my friend?"

You can read the rest here. :D