PDA

View Full Version : Exo-Geologist and/or Orbital Mechanic requested

BillPatt
04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
Situation: Low density waterworld (10% land), stable orbit in the lifezone, 0.7g, recently acquired (2Mya) nickel-iron asteroid as moon. The moon is dense (6g/cm2), in a highly eccentric orbit. The moon's orbit is coplanar with the ecliptic (or close enough). The sun is in the G range, similar to ours. The planet is relatively earth-like in climate, but that damn moom screws things up.

I am looking for the following effects as a result of the moon's tides on the planet:
1. At apogee, the surface winds exceed 300kph as a result of the atmospheric tidal bulge.
2. At apogee, the tides run 300 meters above mean sealevel.
3. At perigee, the winds and tides are much lower than Earth's.
4. At intervals, the combination of solar and lunar tides jacks up the tides. I know, solar tides are dinky on Earth.

Here's the question: Can someone give me the general orbital elements of the moon? (semi-major axis, eccentricity, orbital period.)

Wind and water are the major effects. Anyone else have some other effects I am not thinking about? (other than cool eclipses!)

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it - some of these will take a chunk of your time to calculate - and I will definitely rep those who do reply.

Cath
04-03-2012, 01:37 PM
The OP won't be reading his replies, so I'm closing this one too.