Is the US the new Middle East?

sulong

It's a matter of what is.
Registered
Reaction score
No, I don't think so. For me, it takes more than one or two years to make something like this a trend.
On the other hand, why do we need Iraqi or Iranian oil? Other than to corner the market of course.
Bloomberg notes
“The U.S. has become the fastest-growing oil and natural- gas producing area of the world,” Edward L. Morse, Citigroup’s New York-based head of global commodities research, and half a dozen colleagues wrote in the report. Greater output from Canada and a rebound in Mexico point to bigger increases in North American production “than all of OPEC can sustain.”

If the North American output of oil products become greater than that of the middle east, what then becomes of the middle east? Surly not back to the camel days, but what will they do for money? Fire sale their remaining oil stock?

So far, I haven't heard of countries within OPEC retooling for building up other economic sectors.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
While it certainly won't happen to all the Middle East countries, some will become extremely impoverished one their oil supplies are gone.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
While there's always tourism! I hear Mecca's divine in the Spring.