Someone who speaks Sanskrit

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hey all!

I need someone to translate a phrase into Sanskrit that I'm not entirely sure can be directly translated.

The phrase is: "Don't tread on me!"

Thanks in advance!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

You might check in the International District section of this site. You might ask Aruna.

One problem you may have: I may be wrong about this, but I don't think so: Sanskrit is primarily a ritual language, used by Brahmins. It's not a common spoken language.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! I was under the impression it was a spoken language, but I wasn't sure if it was the ritual one or the spoken one...

In which case, I need to find the right language :)

EDIT: Actually, thinking about it, I think that having it be in Sanskrit might still work, considering the culture I'm trying to portray. I think I should find out how to translate it in Sanskrit and Hindi

Last edited:

Deleted member 42

Thanks! I was under the impression it was a spoken language, but I wasn't sure if it was the ritual one or the spoken one...

Sanskrit is an historical language, used for religious and scholarly purposes.

Pretty much any large research university university with Indo-Iranian studies, or Indo-European studies, or a graduate level religion department will teach Sanskrit.

I'd offer to help but haven't even thought about Sanskrit since 2005, and all my books are in storage.

You could try this scholar though. She's a super teacher.

O'Malley

Registered
Reaction score

Yes, it was, 3,000 years ago.

Thai language is full of Pali and Sanskrit. It came with Buddhism. I don't understand Sanskrit enough to form a sentence, but words.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Think of Sanskrit as something like Latin.

What's the context of "Don't tread on me!" ?
Is it like "Back Off!" or is it like "Ouch"?

Is it a male or female speaker?

I don't think you can translate it directly into Sanskrit, it'll just sound funny. But you could do an equivalent in Hindi. To get a reasonable translation would need the context, though.