Last edited by a moderator:

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I am less and less keen on Amazon every day. Monopolists AND monopsonists: very unhealthy.

Bizarre that so many people are apparently fine with one business running the whole book trade and can't wait for the ecosystem of many distinct rival publishers to burn to ashes.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Everything is changing so fast in the world of books.

I noticed that as soon as ereaders started to gain some popularity the price of ebooks skyrocketed. The one thing that always appealed to me about ebooks was the lower price. Other than that, I'd rather have a hard copy any day of the week! The only benefit I ever saw to having an ecopy was the cheaper price. I got a kindle fire, got all excited to go download some new titles from my favorite authors and saw the pricetags. About dropped my drawers. And frankly, it wasn't Amazon that was jacking up those prices, it was big publishers.

I personally think there is a lot wrong with the ebook industry at the moment. I also think its to be expected to a degree. This is newly discovered territory. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

NOW...im gonna follow that link and go check out that article. Thanks for posting it!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Everything is changing so fast in the world of books.

I noticed that as soon as ereaders started to gain some popularity the price of ebooks skyrocketed. The one thing that always appealed to me about ebooks was the lower price. Other than that, I'd rather have a hard copy any day of the week! The only benefit I ever saw to having an ecopy was the cheaper price. I got a kindle fire, got all excited to go download some new titles from my favorite authors and saw the pricetags. About dropped my drawers. And frankly, it wasn't Amazon that was jacking up those prices, it was big publishers.

I personally think there is a lot wrong with the ebook industry at the moment. I also think its to be expected to a degree. This is newly discovered territory. It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.

NOW...im gonna follow that link and go check out that article. Thanks for posting it!

Here's what happened. Ebooks used to be sold on the reseller model - I sell Amazon an ebook for £2.50, they resell it to the public for £5.00.

Amazon then wanted market share for Kindle, so they started cutting the prices of ebooks. They'd sell them for, say, £2.00, deciding to take a loss on each sale in order to corner the ereader market. The low-cost books were selling the hardware.

Publishers then said, hang on, we'd prefer that everyone didn't get used to buying ebooks for less than the cost of actually making them. So they moved over to the agency model - where the publisher gets to set the price. That's where your 'skyrocket' is coming from.

Broadly speaking, if the ebook price is set by the publisher it's pegged to the print price. But because Amazon is a reseller of print books, and can choose what they sell them at, they like to cut the price of the print book to lower than the ebook, purely in order to make the publisher look bad.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Bizarre that so many people are apparently fine with one business running the whole book trade and can't wait for the ecosystem of many distinct rival publishers to burn to ashes.

Amazon's feeding a lot of egos and dreams at the moment.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon's feeding a lot of egos and dreams at the moment.

Could not be better stated.

I suppose I am one of those dreamers. I just want to know I can share my writing. Without Amazon, I might not have gotten that chance. I have a sneaking suspicion however, that given the number of people taking advantage of the KDP program, it won't last forever. Right now it costs you nothing to put your work out there, I just don't see that lasting given the numbers of people that are doing it.

Fins Left

Registered
Reaction score
There's a simple solution. Publishers are not required to list their books on Amazon. Buyers are not required to buy from Amazon. How is this any different than Walmart or any other major retailer?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Because for epublishers--not traditional publishers releasing a book in print and digital formats--Amazon is where we get the majority of our sales. That's where the CUSTOMERS are going to get their ebooks. We get sales at our site, of course--but not at the volume we do at Amazon. So sure--we could opt not to sell our books on Amazon...and then we could watch our company's (and our authors') finances plummet.

Status
Not open for further replies.