Critical Situation in Costa Rica

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Greetings, fellow AWers!

I hail from Costa Rica and we are going through a very critical artistic situation and I want the world to know. Right now, there is no legal entity that controls what artists can do, which I find to be the right decision, but the government wants to create a Professional Artists Union which would control what artists can say or do.

Also, which is reason for concern, is that they will ask for degrees in writing if you want to publish, for degrees in Painting if you want to paint and so on.

This worries me because it's an oppressive behavior that contradicts our so called "democratic" country.

This just for you to know that happens in our country.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
OMG! That is horrible. I love your beautiful country and people so much.

You should contact PEN.org, an organization that cares very much about situations just like this.

Nimram

sometimes woefully inaccurate
Registered
Reaction score
Are you sure that's the case? Because the term "Union" doesn't sound like government. More like an association of people with a common profession.
We have them in Romania too and they have their own publishing houses and galleries. However, they cannot stop anyone from publishing or showing art outside those venues.

bmadsen

I hate mayo
Registered
Reaction score
Well, we call them Professional Colleges I just was lacking the right word. We have one that's called the CFIA which dictates the rules for engineers and architects and they want to the same with artists.

LarryT

Registered
Reaction score
What ultimately happened? Other than what appears to be oppressive behavior, are there benefits to publish in Costa Rica? Do you know the endgame for government action like this?