UK: Email and web use 'to be monitored' under new laws

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I was going to rage now, but then i remembered what day it is.

Trust no one.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17576745
The government will be able to monitor the calls, emails, texts and website visits of everyone in the UK under new legislation set to be announced soon.

Internet firms will be required to give intelligence agency GCHQ access to communications on demand, in real time.

The Home Office says the move is key to tackling crime and terrorism, but civil liberties groups have criticised it.

Tory MP David Davis called it "an unnecessary extension of the ability of the state to snoop on ordinary people".

But... my instinct to rage does bring up a salient point.

Is it not indicative of our times when you had to think two, three and four times about whether this was actually real news or not?

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It has already been tried before during the previous Labour government, under Home Secretary Jacqui Smith. It was then ferociously resisted by the current coalition.

It seems suicidal for the current coalition to bring it forward now. But then again, it wouldn't be the first time this coalition has made a u-turn.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
April the First?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all got enough government yet?
Gerald R. Ford said:
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have.
Once again, I'd like to thank TPTB for their selfless dedication in promoting the concepts of personal freedom, limited government, and suspicion of authority. :)

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Y'all got enough government yet?

Once again, I'd like to thank TPTB for their selfless dedication in promoting the concepts of personal freedom, limited government, and suspicion of authority. :)

How many times do we have to tell you, Don, but Gerald Ford is not the source of that quote.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually a true story. As I recall, this coalition's beef against Labour was its authoritarianism.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Nah, Xelebes is right. Robovowels has pointed that out several times before, but I never can remember who the original is. We old dogs have trouble learning new tricks, apparently.

Gerald Ford did say it, but he wasn't the first.

Only other attributions to that quote I've ever seen are Thomas Jefferson and Barry Goldwater and both are incorrect.

Being a stickler for accuracy and primary sources, I'd be interested to know who the originator of the quote is...if it can ever definitively be proven.

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Only other attributions to that quote I've ever seen are Thomas Jefferson and Barry Goldwater and both are incorrect.

Being a stickler for accuracy and primary sources, I'd be interested to know who the originator of the quote is...if it can ever definitively be proven.
Found it. Paul Harvey in a book in 1952. Which explains my problem. I heard Jerry Ford say it, but I was born the year Paul Harvey wrote it, and not yet reading. :)

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Is this not a joke story? I mean, it can't possibly be for real, right?

Found it. Paul Harvey in a book in 1952. Which explains my problem. I heard Jerry Ford say it, but I was born the year Paul Harvey wrote it, and not yet reading. :)

I'm confused. That quote is ascribed to a book published by the Heritage Foundation in 1952. The only Heritage Foundation I know of is a conservative think-tank founded in 1973. What's this?

That quote is looking more and more obscure.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Is this not a joke story? I mean, it can't possibly be for real, right?

I'm confused. That quote is ascribed to a book published by the Heritage Foundation in 1952. The only Heritage Foundation I know of is a conservative think-tank founded in 1973. What's this?

That quote is looking more and more obscure.
I'd guess it's a reprint edition.

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm afraid it's true. Here it is in the Guardian, and also in the Scotsman.

It's horrific, especially as this government objected to Labour trying the exact same thing. Usual excuse of 'national security', of course.

The optimists will take comfort in the fact that a) it's not been passed yet and is likely to have a hard time doing so, and b) it only demands addresses, times and durations and gives the government no right to actually listen to a call or read the content of an e-mail. Personally I still think it stinks.

The only meagre consolation I can find is that at least they're doing it in the open and allowing the national press to report on it as much as they like. But as the OP suggests, what kind of world is it when this is the best crutch we can find?

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
The only meagre consolation I can find is that at least they're doing it in the open and allowing the national press to report on it as much as they like. But as the OP suggests, what kind of world is it when this is the best crutch we can find?

And what kind of world is it when the very government who claim to be fighting 'terror', who tell us over and over that the terrorists will not win, are using that same nebulous concept to exercise power we'd never allow them to have in 'peacetime'?

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
The optimists will take comfort in the fact that a) it's not been passed yet and is likely to have a hard time doing so, and b) it only demands addresses, times and durations and gives the government no right to actually listen to a call or read the content of an e-mail. Personally I still think it stinks.

It won't pass. I doubt it will even get scheduled as legislation:

A new law - which may be announced in the forthcoming Queen's Speech in May - would not allow GCHQ to access the content of emails, calls or messages without a warrant.

or it may get shelved just like it did when Labour had similar thoughts.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
It might not be a coincidence they announced it on April 1. People are distracted and those noticing might wave it away thinking it is a joke.

On the other hand, it's not a good sign when you announce a new policy and people can't work out whether it's an April Fools joke.