Story withdrawal etiquette

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
I've seriously messed up - I've submitted a story that needed to be held for a contest in December :(. So - my dilemma. This story has been under consideration at a pro market for a while - it's obviously receiving some serious thought. Would it be inconsiderate for me to withdraw it at this point? (For the first time in my life I'm hoping for an R.)

Thanks!

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
I think it would depend on the market that's reviewing it, but the first thing I'd do is email Ken at ST (sending him a PM on their forum would probably be best, since the contest takes place there) and explain your misconception to him. I'm sure he'd understand, and I'm guessing he'll tell you that to have a chance at being in ST, it'll need to remain unpublished when the judge decides. Or if you do publish it elsewhere, I'm guessing he might use the second-place winner from January's contest. (I'm doing a lot of guessing here.)

Then if he recommends/you decide upon withdrawal of the story from the market that's looking at it, you can always explain the situation to them as well. I don't see why the market would be upset as a result of you misunderstanding something.

Good luck with your decision!

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, O'Dandelo! I'll pm Ken - I'm not so much worried about missing a chance at being published in ST as I am at the idea of being rude to ST or the other market. Sheesh - what an idiot.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
Nah. If you explain yourself, you won't come across as rude. If you were withdrawing from either because of a sale, that might be seen differently. But nipping it in the bud before that happens should put you in the clear.

O'Dandelo

Registered
Reaction score
To clarify what I wrote earlier, I'd leave the decision up to Ken. Your story was with ST first (even if it's in a year-long limbo before being up for possible publication), so etiquette would be on ST's side here. At least in my opinion.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think ST is actually holding those stories, tho. It'd be unfair to expect someone who won at the very start of the year to wait until the very end for a 1/6th chance of publication. I'd let them know of course, that the story has been accepted elsewhere, otherwise, it's a typical, "Hey, I'm withdrawing my story" situation.

I doubt they'll hold it against you, and more likely, will be happy for you. :)

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think ST is actually holding those stories, tho. It'd be unfair to expect someone who won at the very start of the year to wait until the very end for a 1/6th chance of publication. I'd let them know of course, that the story has been accepted elsewhere, otherwise, it's a typical, "Hey, I'm withdrawing my story" situation.

I doubt they'll hold it against you, and more likely, will be happy for you. :)

This.

I agree 100%. I'd check with Ken, but I also wouldn't want to withdraw it from the market you currently offered it to, as that would be wasting their time as well. If Ken would rather you didn't submit it elsewhere, I'd hold the story IF and AFTER this market rejects it. If they accept it, c'est la vie. But I suspect Ken will tell you to go ahead and shop the story around.

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, everybody! Yeah - I pm'ed Ken, and he was very nice (not surprising, as they seem to be very nice at ST). He said it was no problem - it would just take me out of competition for the year-end thingy if I get accepted elsewhere, which would be better for everybody else :tongue. Whew, what a relief.

Thanks!

Last edited: