PDA

View Full Version : 1982 - Greatest Summer Movie Season Ever

Jcomp
03-31-2012, 02:11 AM
I am known to jokingly denigrate my city pretty frequently, but one of the undisputed joys of living in San Antonio is that we have multiple Alamo Drafthouse locations, and it might be the best damn theater chain in the world. This summer they're running movies from what they've deemed "The Greatest Summer Movie Season Ever": 1982.

Here's a rundown of movies that were released in the summer of '82:

E.T.
Wrath of Khan
Conan the Barbarian
The Road Warrior
Tron
Blade Runner
Poltergiest
The Thing
Fast Times at Ridgemont High

and what the hell... just to throw it in... Rocky III

That's a pretty damn good lineup that covers a great range. Blockbusters, classics, sci-fi, comedy, fantasy, action, horror, and a signature "event movie" in E.T. On my old blog I once did a list of the worst summer movie seasons ever. Never thought about what the best might be, though. I'm going to see how others match up, but 1982 is going to be hard to top.

leahzero
03-31-2012, 02:39 AM
'Twas a pretty good year. :D

*born in '82*

MattW
03-31-2012, 03:08 AM
I'm perusing film lists as far back as 1975 (because Jaws is a good place to argue as the start of the summer blockbuster era). And using Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends as the bookends, I see some intersting stuff - mostly that there were fewer movies released the farther back you go, but proportionally many more that hold up (IMO).

1980 had some great summer releases:
Friday 13th (on May 9th)
Empire Strikes Back
The Shining
Mad max
Blues Brothers
Airplane!
Caddyshack
The Octagon (for Chuck Norris fans)

1984 isn't too shabby either:
Ghosbusters
Temple of Doom
Gremlins
Karate Kid
Purple Rain
Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai
Last Starfighter
Red Dawn
Revenge of the Nerds
Top Secret
Sixteen Candles

shawkins
03-31-2012, 03:44 AM
While I agree with everything in this thread so far, I'm seriously liking the looks of 2012 as well. Batman? Joss Whedon (FFS!) does the Avengers? Ridley Scott goes back to the Alienverse? Hell, even the year's presumptive biggest bomb (john carter) was friggin great.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the golden age of nerd.