ARC vs. Galley Proof - difference?

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Just a quick question, based on idle curiosity...

I work with several different e-publishers. Some of them send me ARCs for review, others send Galley Proofs.

Are these just different words for the same things, or is there a subtle difference that I'm missing?

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but doesn't a Galley come out before the ARC?

Galleys are generally for the author to go over and approve before it goes to production.

An ARC is an advance readers copy, usually used for reviewers and advance readers to find any mistakes that got past the Galley...

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I thought ARC was Author Review Copy...

Aaargh! Terminology overload!

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Galleys always used to be flat unbound sheets, whereas an ARC takes the form of a bound book. Neither will have gone through the final proof-reading stage, and will have errors in them.

Can one have a set of galley-proofs for an e-book? I wonder. I suppose so; they could be the text after editing and typesetting, and before it's been poured into an e-reader.

Deleted member 42

Can one have a set of galley-proofs for an e-book? I wonder. I suppose so; they could be the text after editing and typesetting, and before it's been poured into an e-reader.

Typically the ebook after pouring and section breaks (i.e. at least place holder text for frontmatter and chapter breaks) are set functions as a galley, though it is usually identified as the alpha version, after software conventions.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Ooh, I wonder if I'm getting galley proofs from my publishers who do print versions as well, and ARCs from my publishers who are strictly e-book? But they're both in electronic version when they come to me.