Navy ranks

bjcox

Registered
Reaction score
Are Petty Officer 1st 2nd and 3rd class ranks all referred to as Petty Officer?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Depends where and when I suppose. In Canada nobody calls them "Petty Officer" they're just called PO.

Though we don't have the same gradations as the US system.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Short answer: yes. Everything in the military has an acronym-version, but that's basically it.

FabricatedParadise

Can be bribed with circus peanuts
Registered
Reaction score
Not true. You have to know their rate. For instance, my husband is a construction mechanic -- that's his rate. So a petty officer 3rd class who was a construction mechanic would be referred to as cm3 [insert last name here], and it's always the last name. They can actually be penalized if overheard addressing each incorrectly.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've lost me here, FP.

Any petty officer I ever encountered was simply PO. That's years ago- maybe things have changed -and it was in the UK.

Not true. You have to know their rate. For instance, my husband is a construction mechanic -- that's his rate. So a petty officer 3rd class who was a construction mechanic would be referred to as cm3 [insert last name here], and it's always the last name. They can actually be penalized if overheard addressing each incorrectly.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score
In formal situations the CM3 is about right ... I VERY formal situaions they might be introduced as "Petty Officer 3rd class Name

Usually it is Hey, Jones.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
Which Navy are you asking about? US, UK or other? The ranks may differ according to country.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score

US Navy submarine force for 7 years. In "professional" situations (i.e. department training) we referred to each other as "Petty Officer" all the time. Assigning duties for the day, roll call... all kinds of times.

bjcox

Registered
Reaction score
I am talking US Navy. I do not mean what would your buddy that is the same rank as you call you, but what would an NCO or Officer call you. In the Army, if you were a Private, or Private First Class, you were called Private.

bjcox

Registered
Reaction score
US Navy submarine force for 7 years. In "professional" situations (i.e. department training) we referred to each other as "Petty Officer" all the time. Assigning duties for the day, roll call... all kinds of times.
Thank you for the info. That is what I figured, but I want to be as true as possible. just need someone to second the motion.

PorterStarrByrd

nutruring tomorrows criminals today
Registered
Reaction score

Either the navy has changed since I was in ... or they do it differently in the boats ... you guys do run a bit tighter ship than we do on top of the waves.

Never addressed anyone by rate or rating during normal work day, especially at sea, unless it was a formal situation as you described and on on land away from the ship. Rank, of course, refers to officers and we did generally use that. At sea salutes were delivered 01 level and above first time of meeting in the day which means nobody saluted in the afternoon except when formal ... my time was Viet Nam era. Bad habit when you have to get some quick action in combat situation to spit out all those extra words or have someone on edge because you didn't.

BRDurkin

Trigger-Happy Pyromaniac Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bryanrdurkin.blogspot.com
When I was in the Navy, the only time I was called "Petty Officer" were during extremely formal occasions. Award ceremonies and the like, in which my full rank and name were given. When passing anyone of any rank in the corridors of my ship, they always addressed me as "GM2" (Petty Officer 2nd Class in the Gunner's Mate rating). Those who knew me better would call me "Gunner."

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
I am talking US Navy. I do not mean what would your buddy that is the same rank as you call you, but what would an NCO or Officer call you. In the Army, if you were a Private, or Private First Class, you were called Private.

Any place "official." On watch, we'd use names all the time. Except with officers. That was actually a big deal.

I was a "nuke," one of the engineering department taking care of the reactor. But it was true all across the boat. Day-to-day stuff, enlisteds used last names (a habit I never understood nor explored, and in which I happily participated) all the time with each other. In situations a bit more formal, it was "Petty Officer." Like training, or muster for duty.

I was never called "EM3" (or EM2 later), except when I specifically was being formally called out for something (i.e. when I was promoted to second class).

bjcox

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all. To be more specific, an officer is going to address a Petty Officer in a formal manner.