A different R & R etiquette question

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeffreyhowe.wordpress.com
I got a wonderfully useful R & R from one of the three agents looking at a manuscript of mine, one which I intent to apply with gusto.

Should I withdraw the manuscript from submission to the other agents in the meantime? And when the R & R is done, it seems only proper that the agent who gave me the suggestions get a right of first refusal--is that how it usually works?

Thanks all.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
No. You can keep the others out in the wild until you hear (or don't) back from the agents reading. Unless the agent in question asked for an exclusive, an R&R usually doesn't imply one.

One of the others might like the MS as is, or also ask for an R&R, in which case you can send them the newer version

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Follow up! Said agent also indicated interest in reading other work from me if and when available. I let him know I had another manuscript close to being ready, and could ship it his way at the end of May.

The end of May is near, and the ms. will be ready by Friday. Do I need to send along the rest of the normal submission packet with the novel, or just the email trail reminding him of the exchange? I was thinking of doing the latter and offering the former if he wanted it.

Again, thanks in advance.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Is it by email? I'd reply to the original string with the ms attached.

::crossing fingers::

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Little confused. Did you finish the r&r for the first novel and send it? Do they want to see a second before you do that?

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The R & R for the submitted novel is ongoing. The agent in question expressed an interest in seeing anything else I had as well, including (when I mentioned it) the WIP I'm finishing up at the moment.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I would attach it to the same thread of emails, but I think I would also include a pitch/summary/query so the agent knows what they're getting.

Axordil

Is this thing on?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the advice and well wishes, all. Attached to the email chain with a queryish summary, and an offer of a synopsis, which was accepted. Now he reads and I...go on vacation for a week to distract myself. :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!