PDA

View Full Version : A different R & R etiquette question

Axordil
03-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I got a wonderfully useful R & R from one of the three agents looking at a manuscript of mine, one which I intent to apply with gusto.

Should I withdraw the manuscript from submission to the other agents in the meantime? And when the R & R is done, it seems only proper that the agent who gave me the suggestions get a right of first refusal--is that how it usually works?

Thanks all.

Cyia
03-28-2012, 10:10 PM
No. You can keep the others out in the wild until you hear (or don't) back from the agents reading. Unless the agent in question asked for an exclusive, an R&R usually doesn't imply one.

One of the others might like the MS as is, or also ask for an R&R, in which case you can send them the newer version

Axordil
03-29-2012, 01:06 AM
Thanks, Cyia. First time I've gotten this far with a novel, so I'm trying to avoid missteps.

stormie
03-29-2012, 01:13 AM
Cyia's right. Don't withdraw the ms. from the others. There's the chance this agent might pass or you might get offers of representation from the others and you get to choose. :)

heyjude
03-29-2012, 02:45 AM
+3 to Cyia and congratulations, Axordil!

Axordil
05-22-2012, 05:02 PM
Follow up! Said agent also indicated interest in reading other work from me if and when available. I let him know I had another manuscript close to being ready, and could ship it his way at the end of May.

The end of May is near, and the ms. will be ready by Friday. Do I need to send along the rest of the normal submission packet with the novel, or just the email trail reminding him of the exchange? I was thinking of doing the latter and offering the former if he wanted it.

Again, thanks in advance.

heyjude
05-22-2012, 05:06 PM
Is it by email? I'd reply to the original string with the ms attached.

::crossing fingers::

Axordil
05-22-2012, 05:53 PM
Email at this point, yes--the original sub was snail mail, but it's been all email since.

popmuze
05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
Little confused. Did you finish the r&r for the first novel and send it? Do they want to see a second before you do that?

Axordil
05-22-2012, 06:41 PM
The R & R for the submitted novel is ongoing. The agent in question expressed an interest in seeing anything else I had as well, including (when I mentioned it) the WIP I'm finishing up at the moment.

Becca C.
05-25-2012, 04:26 AM
I would attach it to the same thread of emails, but I think I would also include a pitch/summary/query so the agent knows what they're getting.

Siri Kirpal
05-25-2012, 05:38 AM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just cheering you on and holding the good thought!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Axordil
05-26-2012, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the advice and well wishes, all. Attached to the email chain with a queryish summary, and an offer of a synopsis, which was accepted. Now he reads and I...go on vacation for a week to distract myself. :)

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

heyjude
05-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Best of luck, Axordil! Keep us posted!

Smiley0501
05-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Good luck, Axordil.