How do you indicate a pen name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loiterer

Registered
Reaction score
How do you indicate a pen name in your query submissions and pages submissions? Both email & snail mail, if they are different.

ccbridges

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ccbridges.net
In my cover letter I usually include a paragraph that says "I've been writing as *pen name* and published the following..."

I also list it under my real name on the cover pages of the manuscript.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I only put it after my name in the signature of the letter (e- or snail-):

Real Name, writing as Pen Name

You would (physically) sign only your real name on the snail-mail versions.

If your sample pages include your name anywhere, such as a byline under the title, it's fine to have that be only your pen name. My sample pages don't have my name, so I don't have to worry about that, although if I'm sending an attachment, I make sure the author name in the file properties is my pen name, not my real one.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use my real name for all correspondence. (My genre, it's nearly all pen names, FWIW.) I don't mention my pen name in queries until I get to publication credits, and there I give only one or two of the pen names used.

The cover page of a novel, or upper page of a short story, shows my real name, contact info, word count, rights offered, all the usual stuff. The title is in caps, the word by below it, and below that, my pen name.

The slugline for each page of the manuscript is a header consisting of my pen name's last name, my real last in parenthesis, a one-word abbreviation for my title, and the page number, i.e., Twain (Clemons), FINN, 26.

Maryn, who's not yet had anybody mix up who to make the check out to or which name goes with the story

Status
Not open for further replies.