• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

First Reader for Science Fantasy 140k?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
Yo. I've just finished my first full manuscript, and I'm in craving need of a first reader to give me impressions on readability, holding interest... just giving it a bit of a light shake to see if anything is broken where I can't see.

The story is 140k words, and definitely in the realm of science fantasy, adventure/epic - dragons, gods, space stations, AI holograms, ghosts, possession, hacking... the works. At this point, I can't place it in either science fiction or fantasy alone. It has some gory violence, possibly disturbing/offensive content by way of some mythologies and religions, but very little offensive language. No sex.

Also, if the word count isn't warning enough, I tend to ramble and write long.

I have the first ~2k words posted in SYW here

Thanks!

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd get more responses if you cut the story down. 140k is probably what's scaring people off. Not only that, you admit that it has science, fantasy, adventure, etc. all in there and you "can't place it in either science fiction or fantasy," a telltale sign that the story might not be ready to beta. It sends up a red flag that you don't even know what type of story you've written.

In addition, you say, Also, if the word count isn't warning enough, I tend to ramble and write long.

This sounds like you're actually warning people not to read your work. I think you should narrow your genres down. Just say it's an epic fantasy or something.

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
I will give it a shot. Pm me if you are still looking.

UrbanAmazon

It must be Thursday.
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd get more responses if you cut the story down. 140k is probably what's scaring people off. Not only that, you admit that it has science, fantasy, adventure, etc. all in there and you "can't place it in either science fiction or fantasy," a telltale sign that the story might not be ready to beta. It sends up a red flag that you don't even know what type of story you've written.

In addition, you say, Also, if the word count isn't warning enough, I tend to ramble and write long.

This sounds like you're actually warning people not to read your work. I think you should narrow your genres down. Just say it's an epic fantasy or something.

Thank you for the advice. This is my first finished manuscript, but it's also my first time attempting to reach out for input in this way, so I'm grateful for any insight you can give. The length, I feel, is a weak spot of mine, but I've been working on this thing to the point of having a difficult time trying to find where I can try cutting it down.

The genre thing is something I know is going to give me trouble. Out of what I listed, I think I'd feel most confident keeping just 'science fantasy', given the content. I know it's not a common area, but that's what I feel I've written.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
If you'd like another reader for your manuscript, I'd be happy to help. I've never alpha/beta read before, but I've read plenty of published fantasy novels.

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
I'll do it...and I'd also like for someone to take a look at my 100,000 word fantasy manuscript as well. It's nicely polished but its never been read before.

Jon King

less princes, more giant swords
Registered
Reaction score
Yo. I've just finished my first full manuscript, and I'm in craving need of a first reader to give me impressions on readability, holding interest... just giving it a bit of a light shake to see if anything is broken where I can't see.

The story is 140k words, and definitely in the realm of science fantasy, adventure/epic - dragons, gods, space stations, AI holograms, ghosts, possession, hacking... the works. At this point, I can't place it in either science fiction or fantasy alone. It has some gory violence, possibly disturbing/offensive content by way of some mythologies and religions, but very little offensive language. No sex.

Also, if the word count isn't warning enough, I tend to ramble and write long.

I'd be happy to take a look if you're still looking for readers, I made it through all 1300+ pages of A Dance With Dragons in one piece! PM me if you'd like.

Krazykat

Positivilly Movillis . . .
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like you've got lots of takers, but just thought I'd suggest that another thing that might help when you're starting out like this is to find someone to thoroughly edit 10 or 20 pages for you. Then they give it back to you and say, "Okay, now you try to do the same thing with the rest of the manuscript." Getting that fresh perspective can really help you get 'unstuck' so you can see what needs to be worked on and the kinds of edits and corrections you need to look for. That way you can start getting a good sense of the revising process yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.