50% of fiction books sold are ebook at 1 Big Publisher (according to a Big 6 executive)

EbookReader

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Last edited:

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But let's pause for logic. That's 50% of that one commercial publisher's fiction books being sold in ebook form. Not fifty percent of all fiction, as your subject line implies.

Maryn, huge logic fan

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
One Big Six executive told me that ebook sales in their shop had reached the mid-30s as a percentage of units sold. That broke down to about 50% of fiction units and 25% of non-fiction.
As Maryn says, that's about 50% of fiction sales for just one publisher; and judging from the article you quote, the Big Six executive who made that claim was talking about sales from the publisher's own online shop. I'd be interested to know how their sales break down between print and e-editions when sold from Amazon, for example; and when looking at sales made from physical bookshops.

There's also the issue of genre. Some genres--erotica is the obvious one--were made to sell as easily-downloadable electronic editions; other genres--literary fiction being the most obvious to me--have a readership which seems to prefer print editions.

In order to be meaningful, statistics need context.

EbookReader

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
But let's pause for logic. That's 50% of that one commercial publisher's fiction books being sold in ebook form. Not fifty percent of all fiction, as your subject line implies.

Maryn, huge logic fan

You're right. At least at one Big 6 Publisher, half of their fiction units sold are now ebooks. But that doesn't mean it is the same for the other 5 Big Publishers.

But for the "substantial" but not Big 6, I'm guessing he's refering to Harlequin, unit sales for fiction has reached "well beyond 50% digital."

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
But for the "substantial" but not Big 6, I'm guessing he's refering to Harlequin, unit sales for fiction has reached "well beyond 50% digital."

Which is not surprising since Harlequin has a digital-first imprint (Carina Press). Again, context is everything.

EbookReader

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
As Maryn says, that's about 50% of fiction sales for just one publisher; and judging from the article you quote, the Big Six executive who made that claim was talking about sales from the publisher's own online shop.

Is it from their online "shop" though?

or he using "shop" as a word to describe something else (total unit sales of book for his "company" (aka shop)

He started of the blog post with:

...."by the time we got to the point when more than a third of unit sales for major houses had gone digital — and perhaps more than half for fiction

. . . .

"we have reached that level of ebook uptake."

And this is Mike Shatzkin here, would he use data from an online shop of a Major Publisher? or is he talking about sales from every shops (Amazon, B&N, indie stores etc....)?

If it's data from an online store, that's not very representative because most book buyers don't buy from there.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You're right. At least at one Big 6 Publisher, half of their fiction units sold are now ebooks. But that doesn't mean it is the same for the other 5 Big Publishers.

It doesn't mean that it isn't "the same for the other 5 Big Publishers", though, either. All it means is that this one bloke--an unnamed executive at an unnamed press--claims that under a very specific set of circumstances, around 50% of fiction sales are made in e-format.

Why do you think he's referring to Harlequin? What are your reasons for thinking this? What other presses could it mean, and why have you excluded them as possibilities?

EbookReader

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Why do you think he's referring to Harlequin?

Harlequin is just my guess. The only clues are

1) substantial
2) not Big 6

Harlequin focuses on romance and they are a BIG seller in ebook form.

I could be wrong but my gut tells me he's referring to Harlequin where unit sales for fiction has gone well beyond the 50% mark in ebook forms.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Is it from their online "shop" though?

or he using "shop" as a word to describe something else (total unit sales of book for his "company" (aka shop)

In the article you linked to, Mr Shatzkin wrote, "One Big Six executive told me that ebook sales in their shop". Executives at major publishing houses don't usually talk about their publishing houses as "shops". They refer to them as "houses" or "imprints", but not as "shops". They do, however, refer to their shops as "shops".

He started of the blog post with:

....."by the time we got to the point when more than a third of unit sales for major houses had gone digital — and perhaps more than half for fiction

"we have reached that level of ebook uptake."

That was Mr Shatzkin talking there: not the unnamed Big Six executive. And if you read the article carefully you'll see that he was referring to how he imagined he'd feel when and if we reached that point. You're taking his words slightly out of context here.

And this is Mike Shatzkin here, would he use data from an online shop of a Major Publisher?

He's not using data from anywhere. He's reporting a discussion he had with the Mystery Executive. He gives a big clue about that when he writes,

One Big Six executive told me

My bold.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't read the article itself. Now it sounds as if there's no point, really, since this is apparently not what the OP is making it out to be.

At all.

Maryn, headed for the showers, coach

EbookReader

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
For what it worth,

http://www.digitalbookworld.com/2012/simon-schuster-chief-digital-officer-ellie-hirschhorn/

Jeremy Greenfield: You told me that digital revenues at Simon & Schuster were 17% of the total in 2011 and you wouldn’t be surprised if that number doubled in 2012. What about by 2015?

Ellie Hirschhorn: I’ll hazard a guess, and it’s obviously a bit of a crap-shoot: I’d go a little higher than 50%. I think a lot of it will have to do with technology innovations and the ability of e-tailers to merchandise and promote discovery better.

Ellie is the executive vice president and chief digital officer at Simon & Schuster.

Revenue is not "units sold." And it includes none-fiction.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
EBR, between your username and your 17 post history, I kind of get the impression that you think we need to be convinced that ebooks are surging to be a major factor in the publishing industry.

We know that.

Did you want to have discussion about something?

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
EBR, between your username and your 17 post history, I kind of get the impression that you think we need to be convinced that ebooks are surging to be a major factor in the publishing industry.

We know that.

Did you want to have discussion about something?

OP,

you're getting a bit of flack for the double-edged fact you are using some questionable or shoddy facts and that you appear in fact to be using them to attack a straw man--nobody has said e-pubbing is not growing, or maintained that it was some backwater.

If you wanted to discuss whether this meant it was becoming a more practical model for self-pubbing or the houses would eventually control e-pubbing, or whatever else, fine, but this seems to be an agenda piece to validate something nobody has really said is invalid.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And the thread's subject line is entirely disingenuous. The only statistic we're seeing for a Big Six is 17% for all products, not just fiction. Not exactly 50%, is it?

Maryn, good at math