Submission Guideline Ticks

Status
Not open for further replies.

gotchan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
gordonrhorne.wordpress.com
I was over at Duotrope running various search terms on markets just for fun, and went to the websites and submission guidelines of the most interesting looking results. I noticed a few things that gave me a twitch.

Accepts only postal submissions: A bit annoying, but no biggie. It's the way things were done for years and years and years. It will be a few more years before it all goes away. I just wish it didn't cost so much.

Accepts electronic submissions: Cool. Free and convenient.

Accepts only electronic submissions: Seems to be the new trend. (I noticed one Penguin SF&F imprint is electronic only and another Penguin SF&F imprint is postal only. Odd.)

Submission must include comprehensive marking plan. Uh… Me writer. You publisher. If you aren't going to fulfill the traditional duties of a publisher, why should I give you the traditional publisher's 85% cut of revenue, even if you are an award winning, well respected epublisher/small press. I'll self-publish, use the marketing plan for that, and keep 85% (less expenses).

Submission must be in plain text. Fair enough. Open standard.

Submission must be in rich text format (RTF). Fair enough. Open standard.

Submission must include a copy of the manuscript in RTF and a copy in PDF. Why do I suspect there isn't going to be much editing done? (I could be wrong about this. I request PDF files when I'm critiquing so I can scribble notes on the electronic document with the annotation feature without messing up the text.)

Submission must be in MS Word doc format. Um… You call yourself professional?

Submission must be in RTF format created in MS Word 98 or newer. (Because Word docs carry viruses.) What? That's like a postal submission only publisher requiring all submissions to have been typed on an Olivetti typewriter. RTF is an open format. I can't think of any legitimate reason for a professional publisher to require this.

One publisher claims first serial and first electronic rights for two weeks. (?!) Then they retain non-exclusive rights. I'd love to see the contract for details on what those lingering non-exclusive rights entail.

One publisher pays by Paypal only. Sorry, closed my account because I don't trust them with my money after past dealings.

Thoughts?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Submission must include comprehensive marking plan. Uh… Me writer. You publisher. If you aren't going to fulfill the traditional duties of a publisher, why should I give you the traditional publisher's 85% cut of revenue, even if you are an award winning, well respected epublisher/small press. I'll self-publish, use the marketing plan for that, and keep 85% (less expenses).

All the other things you listed don't bother me much but this one does.

Is this becoming standard or is this just a one-off fluke? Curious.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Submission must be in MS Word doc format. Um… You call yourself professional?

At least as professional as any other. I use MS Word Doc for many of the top magazines and publishers I sell to.

Deleted member 42

I was over at Duotrope running various search terms on markets just for fun, and went to the websites and submission guidelines of the most interesting looking results. I noticed a few things that gave me a twitch.

Submission must include a copy of the manuscript in RTF and a copy in PDF. Why do I suspect there isn't going to be much editing done? (I could be wrong about this. I request PDF files when I'm critiquing so I can scribble notes on the electronic document with the annotation feature without messing up the text.)

A large number of editors and agents use ereaders; the .pdf works on iPads and Kindles and Nooks.

Submission must be in RTF format created in MS Word 98 or newer. (Because Word docs carry viruses.) What? That's like a postal submission only publisher requiring all submissions to have been typed on an Olivetti typewriter. RTF is an open format.

Every word processor has a slightly different version of RTF. Before MS Word 1998 RTF on MS Word for Mac and MS Word for windows was different, and not compatible across platforms. This is someone avoiding headaches, and wise.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
And yet other publishers are moving away from Paypal because with international authors it can become a tax nightmare.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Just because they ask for the book in Word format doesn't mean they intend to print it from that file. That's not a sign of lack of professionalism.

Status
Not open for further replies.