South Bend, Indiana, city council adopts QUILTBAG protections

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.southbendtribune.com/new...y-sexual-orientation-20120326,0,7706174.story

This is my hometown, the place where I was born and raised, where I lived for 23 years until I moved to pursue a life I felt I couldn't get. My dream for the longest time was to move to Chicago, where I could be openly gay and have a wider choice of places to go and things to eat. South Bend, at the time I left, had only two bars: the Fraternity House and the Sea Horse II. Basically "his" and "hers" bars with hot and cold running contempt for the clientele; the owner of the Frat House wasn't too crazy about "having" to run a gay bar and the owner of the Sea Horse wasn't too crazy about men coming in because of THOSE THINGS they have between their legs.

But what are you gonna do?

Chicago fell through but I later had the chance to move to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Not exactly the bustling metropolis that Chicago is, but I had more opportunity to explore myself and figure out who I wanted to be.

(While it's great to see South Bend has taken another step forward in basic civil rights protections, the place is so economically downtrodden, compared to the St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota, area, I wouldn't even consider going back!)

Status
Not open for further replies.