Resume + Agented, Unpubbed Novel = ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crock-o-dile

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere already and I managed to miss it. But I've been wondering: If you're on a job hunt and you're sending out resumes or a CV, under what circumstances is it possible mention your writing without sounding like a fool?

I'm assuming that if you actually have pub credits, you're in the clear to list them. I'm also assuming that if you wrote a novel that's sitting on your hard drive, but your mom totally thinks it's the best thing ever, it's not something you want to mention. But what if you're somewhere in between-- you're agented and soon to be on sub, but haven't actually been published. Is it worth noting or is it better to keep quiet until you actually have a publishing contract clutched in your grubby fingers? Is there even any standard procedure on this? I've tried Google searches on the topic, but nothing useful has come up.

In my particular case, I'm a soon-to-be-graduating grad student and am applying for teaching positions in English/composition, so it's info that would be at least somewhat relevant. But I don't want to sound like I'm spouting random hobbies, like, "I write! And I crochet! And I have two parakeets!" Any advice/thoughts/random anecdotes would be appreciated.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Unpublished material is completely and utterly irrelevant to a job CV/resume. Don't include it.

There are only two circumstances in which putting published work on your CV/resume is relevant:

1) The job you're applying for is a writing job. For example, I list my publication credits, including novels, on my CV as a technical writer because the fact that I have had work published speaks to my ability to write at a professional level.

2) The work that's been published is relevant to the job you're applying for. For example, if someone has published several books on marine biology and is applying for a job as a marine biologist, they would include the published books on their CV/resume since it speaks to their expertise in the field.

In your case, since the jobs you're applying for are writing-related, you could include your work on your CV/resume after it's been published. You might possibly get away with adding it once you have a signed contract, but things can still go sour after that so I personally wouldn't do it. But without even a signed contract, it's too early to put it on a CV/resume.

Last edited:

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
what Terie said.

Unpubbed means nothing, because a borderline illiterate third-grader can WRITE a novel, if they really want to--it will be horrible and never sell, but since yours hasn't cleared that hurdle yet either, who knows if it is any good? So having one "in the hopper" or finished and in a drawer really doesn't say "I've made it". In fact, it can say "well, then, why HAVEN'T you made it?"

Pubbed means something if there was some hurdles you made it over--a couple great reviews, a half-week on the NYT, even just being able to say you got an agent and editor to invest in you. But a self-pub that sold 6 copies again doesn't really show anything to your employer....it could be incredible, or awful, but there's no indicator for them.

It is only going to count if you can show it has been received well, not just that it is "out there" because lots and lots of people are able to write bad novels, so writing one only counts if you can also prove yours was good, not just that you wrote one.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
As to your question . . .

I don't know about whether or not to mention agents. Maybe that could go in your cover letter? Stating that you have recently picked up representation. If you're teaching in creative writing, and were I on the hiring committee, I might take that as a sign that you're serious about your work and have procured an agent that feels the same.

It's all about continuing to publish if you want to get on CW tenure track.

Someone may have another snippit of advice, though. :)

Crock-o-dile

Registered
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks guys. That's what I needed to know. I appreciate it.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that unpublished material is irrelevant on a resume, although I have been asked in job interviews what I was doing with my time during my long stretches of unemployment. I was able to truthfully say that I'd been working on my novel(s) and explain about my agent(s), and that seemed to excite the interviewers.

MDSchafer

Banned
Reaction score
Website
firstfolio.blogspot.com
Just to add a thought... employers don't like the idea of you spreading yourself too thin. They want someone who is going to make their position a priority in their life, and if you mention you have an published or an unpublished novel they might see that as a distraction or a reason to quit.

Personally speaking I know I lost a job when I mentioned I left my last one to pursue a temporary writing assignment that took me to Africa. Once I said that I could see the guy's interest in me click off like a light bulb. I know he figured if I left one job like that I could leave his.

I doubt I'll tell any perspective employer going forward about my writing projects, published or unpublished, because they'll start to wonder if you're really serious about the job you're applying for, or if you're just looking of a day job to half ass while you work on your true passion.

Status
Not open for further replies.