• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

More writer's block crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrykitten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all--

I'm having a case of writers' block right now. I'm doing my morning pages and journaling and doing little exercises, but I can't, for the life of me, seem to write on the projects that are actually calling me right now. I try, but nothing comes.

Now, I've gone through a lot, emotionally in the past few months. I suffer from severe depression, insomnia, and anxiety, and I've had bad episodes with all of them, including one insomnia episode that was so bad I went into sleep psychosis. I don't recommend it.

I've read some of the other posts about writers' block here and wanted to get your thoughts on having it during a situation like mine when you're recovering from a lot of stressors. Writing is my coping mechanism. I've written through pneumonia. I've written through pancreatitis and gall bladder surgery (well, not the actual surgery, but you know what I mean).

So why can't I write now? Are emotional problems different? Is it best to just keep writing whatever I can write and trust that the answers to the rest will come?

Many thanks for your wisdom.

aishashadow

Aisha Shadow
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aishashadow.blogspot.com
If you find it hard to write on current projects maybe just start something new.

When I'm struggling with writer's block, I normally start with a mantra, which I write out at the beginning. Another night, another page to fill. Then I simply write whatever is in my head whether it is random thoughts or simply that I can't find the words. Normally this clears my head and before I know it I have quite a few words written. This can also be a nice way to build up your mind so that you can focus it on what you want to write. Opening up a project and trying to straight away write in that, or trying to reedit a piece can be really difficult. At least this way, even if you throw away what you write, you can smile to yourself that you managed to write something.

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I agree, start something else!

Sometimes, the pressure of "getting it right" makes it so that the story itself comes to a screeching halt in one's head. I'm not saying that's what's happening with you, I'm just saying. Sometimes, starting an on the side "play project" makes everything open up again.

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Agreed. Sit down with [a pen and paper] [your computer or tablet] and write. Let whatever words begin to flow flow, don't try to stop them simply because they are not part of your current project. See where your mind takes you. Creativity begets more creativity - with any luck this little exercise will inspire you to get back to your project :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Well, you've got a lot going on. I reccomend doing excercises untill you feel a bit more settled with the WIPs. Personally, I advise against starting something new. Here's a useful one: title jam - come up with a list of titles, five titles would be good to start. It can be any kind of title, short, novel whatevs. The object is to complete the list quickly, rather than think about 'good' titles. Mostly, I'd say just do a bit, and then consider yourself having clocked in your BIC time. Keep at it till you feel stronger.

Perplexed

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite in the same boat as I only started blogging 8 days ago, but I did notice something that helps me gather my thoughts to actually produce a post (and gathering my thoughts is often a feat in itself).
In a desperate ploy to actually get feedback and readers, I started illustrating each post by hand (it takes a long time!). I thought I might just do this once in a while, but I noticed that drawing/painting the picture to go with the words helps arrange my thoughts before I go to write.

I recommend doodling? Accompanying illustrations for everything is a bit extreme, but doodling is great for thinking and working through stuff.

As of yet I don't write apart from the blog, so feel free to ignore me completely :p

Last edited:

William K Elliott

The voices tell me what to write.
Registered
Reaction score
So-called "writer's block" has given me the basis for at least two more books. If I am just staring at the screen, I open a new document and just start writing.

Another "trick" I use is to read my WIP, starting from the beginning. Sometimes I find edits I want to make, other times I see a direction I need to go and start writing again.

I also put some music on. Seems to help.

Bill

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My experience with writer's block is that you really do have to force yourself at first. I always say to myself "This is a draft. It's ok if the prose sucks or it doesn't fit the story or I'm going to end up changing it completely." That is something you can handle during revision, when staring at a full page will be much easier than staring at a blank one. So, I guess my advice to you is put your butt in the chair, and make yourself start typing. Close your eyes or turn off the screen if you have to- don't critique yourself and your writing as you write it. Hope this helps!

GeorgeJames

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.EbooksByAuthor.com
Sometimes writing an imagined event, plot, happening, situation and so forth then justifying its very reason for being can often not only get you over "Writer's Block" but at times lead to a whole new book. Two of my books were written from the very first paragraph being there and justifying the reason for it being there.
This first paragraph can be a dramatic as you want for your style of writing and genre.
Anyway that's what I do when I can't think of just what my next book should be about, but I have that incredible urge to write. If that first paragraph is good and interesting then the story it eventually leads to is also generally interesting.

Regards
GJ

jen fu

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenlarsen.net
I struggle tremendously with both anxiety and depression--sometimes it can be controlled with meds and sometimes it grows to proportions that have me taking to my bed.

In my own experience I've found that the best thing to do is to ride it out--to keep writing whatever I can write, but to not force myself to accomplish what I think I'm supposed to, or what I think I have to. That kind of pressure, and failure to live up to my own expectations, just makes me more miserable. Be kind to yourself. Set reasonable goals. Set aside your WIPs for a little while and let them germinate.

You have a tremendous history of writing and dedication and responsibility to your creativity--I don't think you'll ever lose that drive and ability. If you take care of yourself eventually you'll take care of the writing, I promise.

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Perhaps just show up at each project page once a day. Write one sentence, and move on to the next one. If you feel like you can do a paragraph, do a paragraph. Sometimes block is intimidation at the slog.

Status
Not open for further replies.