Goodreads Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
I've now removed my post after reading your advice, thanks (and I think it best, in case I decide to send the c&d). Thanks again.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Tricky.

The amazon tag is the easiest, you can get people to vote against it until it is below 0.

Feel free to PM me the link and I will vote.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Tricky.

The amazon tag is the easiest, you can get people to vote against it until it is below 0.

Feel free to PM me the link and I will vote.

Thanks for the offer, VG--I've shoved the link up on Facebook though and I think it's done the trick. I didn't realise it get to get below zero to disappear.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Both of those maintain that their "readers" can say ANYTHING they want... including personal attacks and threats against an author. I saw a book where the reviewer who was a Goodreads librarian, went to the author's website, grabbed pics of the author and included them in their review, which was a trash-fest. Then proceeded to review the author's hairstyle, weight and fashion sense. Then invited a multitude of GR friends to join in on the bullying. I, among dozens of other authors reported it, which alerted GR Librarians to look into the matter... they did, by adding their nasty comments about the author. It took an army of authors to gather readers and friends to post in defence of the author and scold the bullies, before they conceded to take down the personal attacks. It was sickening that GR not only allowed this behavior, but encouraged it through their librarians. They were offended that we were offended.

Amazon is a bit different, but unless the attack is severe, they are unlikely to remove it. At least they don't send Amazon employees to the scene to join in on the bash-fest. *lol*

Anywho, if you have a link, I'll go give the review a no.

Alitriona

Attends The School of AW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.caroloates.com
Goodreads won't move it because they say people can put stuff on any shelf they want. Most likely the reviewer won't change it either. I'm on several. I do write ff but I have never p2p. It hasn't stopped anyone claiming it or worse.

I don't have any issue with re-working ff as long as it was removed from the source in the first instance. I simply haven't done it.

Sadly, you are on a loosing track. The more you fight it, the more attention will be on you and the more shelves you will end up on with that label. Some see it as bad as trying to manipulate reviews.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your offer, Brindle. I'm a bit loathe to mention the book title in case I end up drawing attention to it/looking like a whinging author etc (as Alitriona mentioned was a danger).

That sucks re. author's photos being made fun of. I'm not anti-Goodreads at all...just that this seems potentially slanderous.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you blog?

Personally if it was my book I would write an entry, disputing the claims. Failing that I would talk to a solicitor. This is potentially very damaging.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, try not to worry about it too much. I'm pretty sure almost every writer out there has at least one review on Goodreads where its author comes across as petty/spiteful/ridiculous/choose-your-own-adjective. Readers can't help but bring their own baggage to the table when they open your book, so perhaps it really did strike them as fan-fiction, for some bizarre reason that has nothing to do with you or your story.

It sucks, I know, and I do sympathize, but all you can really do is shrug and move on.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Do you blog?

Personally if it was my book I would write an entry, disputing the claims. Failing that I would talk to a solicitor. This is potentially very damaging.

I do indeed blog. I have decent traffic too. But I worry that I might draw attention to it in a negative way. I have law friends I can ask for advice, but couldn't afford to instruct a solicitor (and wonder if I'd be fighting a losing battle anyway).

Thanks, iRock. Sadly if my sales might be affected, I feel the need to address this, if I can.

Alitriona--I'm a librarian too. Can I remove it, as one? Wouldn't they just stick it back on there anyway?!

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
An alternative angle is to make sure the other reviews outnumber that one. So do things that'll encourage reviews (sending out review copies, asking readers nicely to leave a review, etc). That deals with the issue without attacking the review you dislike.

SafetyDance

L'Oreal. He's worth it.
Registered
Reaction score
Polenth, I'm afraid more reviews wouldn't get me taken off the P2P shelf!

I've spoken to my law friend. We're going to look into sending a Cease and Decist on the grounds of libel.

Thanks for all of your opinions. I wondered whether I was being silly to worry about this.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Personally, I think it is better to leave it alone. A shelf is not a big deal in the larger scheme of things and fandom-wank-etc can really blow up out of proportion, especially on GoodReads.

iRock

That's how I roll
Registered
Reaction score
I've spoken to my law friend. We're going to look into sending a Cease and Decist on the grounds of libel.

This is going to wind up getting your name out there - and not in a good way. If you think they're being "mean girls" now, just wait; legal action will only exacerbate the problem and you'll be put on display as yet another author-behaving-badly, whether it's deserving or not.

I really don't think there is anything you can do. As with all reviews silence is the wisest course of action.

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
Personally, I think it is better to leave it alone. A shelf is not a big deal in the larger scheme of things and fandom-wank-etc can really blow up out of proportion, especially on GoodReads.

Yeah, I tend to agree. GR is a breeding ground for thoughtless individuals. I don't see a win for you, should you shake up this bee's nest. I'd just ignore it. I ignore GR reviews as a policy. I have my books there, but dont pay attention to the reviews. Its not worth it.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Both of those maintain that their "readers" can say ANYTHING they want... including personal attacks and threats against an author. I saw a book where the reviewer who was a Goodreads librarian, went to the author's website, grabbed pics of the author and included them in their review, which was a trash-fest. Then proceeded to review the author's hairstyle, weight and fashion sense. Then invited a multitude of GR friends to join in on the bullying. I, among dozens of other authors reported it, which alerted GR Librarians to look into the matter... they did, by adding their nasty comments about the author. It took an army of authors to gather readers and friends to post in defence of the author and scold the bullies, before they conceded to take down the personal attacks. It was sickening that GR not only allowed this behavior, but encouraged it through their librarians. They were offended that we were offended.

Amazon is a bit different, but unless the attack is severe, they are unlikely to remove it. At least they don't send Amazon employees to the scene to join in on the bash-fest. *lol*

Anywho, if you have a link, I'll go give the review a no.

This is terrible.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Polenth, I'm afraid more reviews wouldn't get me taken off the P2P shelf!

Thanks for all of your opinions. I wondered whether I was being silly to worry about this.

It's not about making the bad stuff vanish, but making it far less important compared to everything else. What you're proposing to do (take them to court) will make the bad stuff extremely important and stick flashing neon signs on it. Chances are people will start adding you to similar shelves as a protest. The whole thing will get out of control quickly.

Whereas having twenty reviews that don't make a fan-fiction connection will make the review that does fade into obscurity. It might still irritate you, but readers aren't going to care.

Status
Not open for further replies.