PDA

View Full Version : American POW - Second Gulf War

chartruscan
03-25-2012, 06:20 AM
American soldiers captured by Iraq soldiers: do they keep their dogtags?

Drachen Jager
03-25-2012, 07:03 AM
There weren't that many incidents. I can only think of one, Jessica Lynch.

I have no idea if they took her tags or not. I can't see why they'd care, but the Iraqis were pretty random at the time, it would have depended entirely on the men who captured and guarded her whether she kept the tags.

Orion11Bravo
03-27-2012, 12:11 AM
We actually rescued a POW while I was there in 2004 (well...rescued is a bit dramatic. He heard us, the bad guys ran away, and he came out of his hut). He wasn't military, though, he was an American civilian truck driver.

My best guess is that they would take the tags as trophies or a souvenir of sorts...I can't picture that being something the troopie would just be allowed to keep. It's too much like a trinket...it might even be able to be sold in Baghdad. They were selling video of attacks and guys setting off IEDs, I imagine a POW's dog tags would be enough for a couple of Kebabs and a fanta, at least.

chartruscan
03-29-2012, 04:29 AM
Thanks, Orion!

I ask because I want the rescuer to be able to look up the rescuee later on. I'm thinking they strip off his BDU jacket, where the name patch is. Wasn't sure about the dogtags (I could see them being used as a weapon). Now I'm trying to remember my own training, and I have a vague memory of us writing our surnames into our shirts and sock and pants, because hello all our laundry looks the same!

Orion11Bravo
03-29-2012, 05:15 AM
That's true...in black permanent marker. Also, we all had a dog tag laced in our boots, in case our heads were taken off...though I think that may have been 20% smart thinking, 80% what we saw on the movie Blackhawk Down.