PDA

View Full Version : On the presence of vampires in UF

n3onkn1ght
03-25-2012, 05:39 AM
So I got it into my head to try my hand at Urban Fantasy, and the most prominent piece of advice I've heard is, "Don't use vampires. They're played out."

So, being a naturally cheeky writer, I wrote a teaser intro featuring a vampire getting its ass handed to it by the hero, who then quips, "God, I'm sick of vampires."

But as I continued on, I found the vampires more useful than I anticipated, and they kept cropping up. They're not the focal point of the book -- instead, they're involved in a vicious gang war going on in the background with a sorceress and her legion of goblins, who are the focus. I just use the fanged freaks as a plot device to create conflict when needed.

My question is, will having vampires in the background still hurt my chances of getting an agent and getting published? Or am I OK if they're just one of a cavalcade of creatures? I don't plan on mentioning them much in my query, but I'm still worried one will see the word 'vampire' in my sample pages and instantly chuck it, even though I'm really having a laugh about the glut of vampires.

Drachen Jager
03-25-2012, 07:05 AM
If it's well done, anything will sell. Following trends is a bit of a fool's game, by the time you write it, get an agent and start hitting publishers the fashion will have changed.

Lots of agents don't want to see vampires right now, but it's not an absolute query-killer.

Polenth
03-25-2012, 08:14 AM
It's not that vampires don't ever sell... but bear in mind urban fantasy of any sort is a crowded genre right now. I'm querying a very non-vampirey urban fantasy, and it's really not getting much interest. Even different is still urban fantasy.

So you might want to consider making sure the beginning has gobliny goodness, and saving the vampire joke for later. The goblins are going to be your selling point, so I wouldn't delay introducing them.

Colossus
03-26-2012, 04:02 AM
My sense of story says do whatever you want and you'll find an agent that recognizes a good story when they see one.
My own experience says "good luck with that".