• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Something I discovered tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Tonight was not really good for my writing. I got stuck for nearly 1 hour without anything on my computer. I have all the ideas ready but when I started to write it down, I couldn't do it.

So how did I get around this problem? This is what I did.

1- Lie down for 5 mins and get up: still can't write
2- Run down stairs and drink some smoothie: still can't write
3- Turn on some epic music: still get stuck
4- Check facebook, read 9gag: still nothing.
5- Rolling around the room: almost slammed my head to the wall.

At this point, you may say: hell, dude, this is just a bad day. Everyone have that. Just go to sleep and refresh your mind, tomorrow will be better.

To be honest, I did think about it. However, before I turned off the light, something in my mind keep telling me: if I go to sleep now, I will end today without a single word to advance my story and there is no guarantee that tomorrow will be better. That is the first sign of procrastination.

So what did I do? I was like:" screw this, I will just spit out anything in my mind right now, no matter how horrible it reads."

And now I'm going at 1,500 words and I still have more ideas to write down.

So I discovered that sometimes, when my mind is lazy, I have to use force to make it work. I don't say that it works like wonder because the first part is horrendous. I'd be ashamed to show this to anyone, even my editor who help me fix the manuscript. But I think it can make a good frame to build upon. Not to mention that when I write, some cool ideas come to my mind and I have even more to put down.

This is just my own experience and I'd like to share it to everyone. Not every mind will work the same but you can always try. Good luck with your story.

Architectus

Registered
Reaction score
I often start off that way, forcing myself, but usually after a bit, I feel inspired.

OJ Connell

Lost and Profound
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ojconnell.blogspot.com
Awww, now I'm in the mood for a smoothie!

At any rate, I'm having one of those nights as we speak. I took a nap a little while ago, but still nothing. I guess I ought to just suck it up and power through, huh?

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
My personal antidote is to either go off and read something [novel, tackle latest non-fic] or decided to do some research instead. Actual writing is good, but sometimes I need to do indirect writing tasks to clear the fog. :)

kiwiviktor81

Cough up blood. Laugh, light cig
Registered
Reaction score
In my creative writing course we had to write non-stop for ten minutes at the start of each lecture. If we couldn't think of anything we had to write 'blah' over and over until some inspiration came. It worked! Nothing like a repetitive, tedious task to convince your brain that it's better to be creative.

pylot

student of the craft and art
Registered
Reaction score
I've been having a similar issue, get to the desk and the mind runs dry. an idea forms in my head but the pen won't move that sorta thing. my solution (long term) is to get myself a new space to write in. i find that my home is just a dead space and is the cause of my creative troubles so to speak.

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
We're like Franklin holding up a kite, waiting for lightning to strike. We need to write something every day, so that we're prepared for when it does strike. Procrastination prevents the kite from flying. It doesn't mean lightning won't strike you as you walk down the street, but there's a lesser chance of that happening.

jeffo20

Tyrant King
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doubtingwriter.blogspot.com
I will sometimes fight the 'can't write anything' monster by using a pen and notebook instead of the computer, taking said pen and notebook away from desk and to a different part of the house, just to change the venue. That usually helps. But forcing yourself to write, even if you just retype the last couple of paragraphs from your last writing session, or start with "I've got no freakin' ideas today what am I going to do?" or anything like that will often get things moving. Good deal, Yukinara.

Spy_on_the_Inside

Registered
Reaction score
Not being able to write is a problem that plagued me for many months, but this advice seems like something that will be very helpful. Thank you so much for all this advice.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
thanks for posting that, Y - it makes for good inspiration :)

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I wash dishes. Or anything that takes my hands out of commission (if even for a brief time) and unable to put fingers to the keyboard. Then I'm overflowing with things to get down before I forget them.

goldhorse

Oooh look at the pretty pony!
Registered
Reaction score
Kudos to you. It doesn't matter if it's crap. It matters that you plugged on ahead. I know I've literally written the sentence "and then after this I have no friggen clue what to write but it's going to be epic."

That's what editing is for. :D

Talltree

Good readers make good writers
Registered
Reaction score
Thats very inspiring. I've actually done that a bit in the last couple of weeks; the only bad part is I have to edit quite a bit out when I send to my writing/critique partner who I exchange chapters with every week.

Its more like write weekdays and edit weekends for me. I guess most people wait till the draft is completed before they start thinking about editing.

Does anyone edit before the full draft is complete? - curious

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
YES! this is what I do too. Just write even if it's absolute rubbish, you can always delete it later, it's not like you're forced to include it in your book.

Congrats on getting over your block!

slashedkaze

Smutter
Registered
Reaction score
Thats very inspiring. I've actually done that a bit in the last couple of weeks; the only bad part is I have to edit quite a bit out when I send to my writing/critique partner who I exchange chapters with every week.

Its more like write weekdays and edit weekends for me. I guess most people wait till the draft is completed before they start thinking about editing.

Does anyone edit before the full draft is complete? - curious

I do. When I don't feel like writing, I edit sometimes. Sometimes I just have a really cool idea that forces me to edit earlier chapters, too. And I could never just write a paragraph and then move on without ever looking at it again. I try to make my writing as pretty as it can be while I write, and sometimes I go back and edit sentences for structure and such. And then I still do more editing when I'm done with the first draft of course.

Hip-Hop-a-potamus

My rhymes are bottomless
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in an "in-between" mode right now. Someone's looking at my baby, so I've started a new baby.

My genre calls for OODLES of research, and it's been hard even getting started until I know how I'm going to frame it, the person I'm writing in, etc. If I can't write, I go do more research. Then I go back to it with more ideas, and can start banging something out with an idea where I'm going.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
I won't let myself check Facebook until I write at least 500 words. I can spend my entire night on that site with nothing to show for it.

Kenpoclimber

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, this is helpful. Next time I get that fuzzy 'how do I put this on paper?!' feeling, I'll say to myself 'dude calm down you're overthinking it!' Like you said, doesn't matter what you write as long as you write.

cmtruesd

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, often have to remind myself to just stop thinking and WRITE. Also, it helps to remember the times that I thought my writing was crappy only to re read it a few days later and surprise myself :)

E. B. Pike

Registered
Reaction score
I, too, often have to remind myself to just stop thinking and WRITE. Also, it helps to remember the times that I thought my writing was crappy only to re read it a few days later and surprise myself :)

It's like that quote --you have to allow yourself to write poorly. Because if you don't, you may never make it past the first draft. I always remind myself of this when I'm first getting words down on the page. And you're right, often when you go back and look, it's not nearly as bad as you thought it was. :)

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
after nearly three months, this method is still rock solid. There are days I can't write, but I keep forcing words out, eventually, my mind decides to work for real and I can end up with 2k-3k words (like last night)

so I'm not so sure about other people's writer block, but I think as long as I can sit down and write, sooner or later, ideas will come

Status
Not open for further replies.