PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Dancers

Nuwanda
03-24-2012, 08:05 AM
Okay so I had a new character pop up and he won't go away. Basically this new cat is a male stripper. I'd like to know what the general opinion is on that line of work and really if anyone knows the business side, that would be helpful.

Anyone who is older: how has it changed since the 70s? The 80s?
Anyone younger: have you been? Will you ever?

I did contact a club a few days ago about doing interviews with the dancers, waiters, bartenders, door staff, etc.. how long should I wait to do a follow up call?

I don't mind if anyone wants to bring religion into this (it is a flesh trade after all) but remember to keep it respectful on all sides. :)

Thank you in advance!

urbanmum
03-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Okay, this is what I know from my previous years of bartending/serving. Around here at least, the best way to get an honest interview would be to go in and offer to either buy a drink or pay for the time of a dance or two and ask your questions, have the person tell you about a typical day/customer whatever. The business varies widely depending on the region. For example, I know that males (dancing for females) make a lot more money in Montreal than in Toronto, and smaller towns like Niagara Falls they lack the style and stage presence, but seem to do well off-stage. Girls, however, could make a killing pretty much by any major airport and in Daytona Beach in particular. And I can tell you that a lot of the older dancers would reminisce about how much easier it was to make a lot of money in the 80s. Hope that helps!

Nuwanda
03-25-2012, 05:04 AM
Yes it does! You've inspired a lot of questions too! As a server, did you notice if favourites were treated much differently? Did your own tips change depending on how well the dancers did? Do bar staff receive higher pay at dance clubs? Did you enjoy the work?

mtrenteseau
03-31-2012, 08:26 AM
I live in a very nice part of town, but less than a mile away is a male strip club for male clients.

The owners decided that male clientele were annoyed by bachelorette parties and other random women, so they took a building that had been their previous location and was then a female for male strip club, and turned it into a male for female strip club. It didn't last. In general, women don't go to strip clubs unless it's an occasion, and they aren't inclined to spend lots of money on tipping to impress the dancers.

blackrose602
04-15-2012, 05:44 AM
Bit late to the party, but if you're still looking for information I may be able to help. I'm female, and from 2001-2003 dated a straight male stripper at a gay bar in New Orleans. Learned a ton about the business, and would be happy to share what I remember.

areteus
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM
A few weeks ago I went with my wife and her dancing class to a Syrian Sheesha bar in Rusholme. We were there to watch one of the tutor's old students dancing professionally. Different culture but it may be relevant if you want me to share any details of that? Main thing I remember about the night was that she got 2 tips given to her - both 20 notes (I think that is about $40?) and I heard a story that in that culture it is actually an insult not to tip and, when the teacher was dancing at someone's wedding, it was the bride's grandmother who gave the first tip in order to encourage the men to do so...

Maryn
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
I'm aware that guys tend to strip for women or for men, but not mixed audiences. The places I've seen male strippers often were all-female audiences, or females and het couples. Some of the same clubs would be open for all-male audiences other nights, although I don't know if they had the same dancers.

With women, visits to strip clubs are for special occasions--the group from the office celebrating a birthday or a big business coup, the bachelorette party, like that. As a day-in, day-out business, club owners do better with women dancing for male clientele.

I'm often surprised and saddened at the highly visible women who are there alone and who have some handicap or undesirable physical trait like being morbidly obese. The dancers make good money crouching low enough for the woman in a wheelchair or using crutches to put bills in his G-string or dancing just for the unattractive woman, making eye contact, plus those women are repeat business, not just there for a party.

I've also been surprised to see the less-than-stellar physiques of some of the male talent. I haven't seen a lot of male strip shows, but about half have had a guy whose body was 'ee-e-ew,' usually a sizable gut.

Maryn, just adding what little she knows, on the chance you can use it

blackrose602
04-15-2012, 06:48 PM
I've also been surprised to see the less-than-stellar physiques of some of the male talent. I haven't seen a lot of male strip shows, but about half have had a guy whose body was 'ee-e-ew,' usually a sizable gut.

Huh, that's interesting. I've only ever seen male strippers at gay clubs, and every single one had a fantastic body--a range from thin but athletic to obviously cut from hours at the gym. Many of the female strippers I know, though (who strip for men, I've never been to a lesbian club)...ee-e-ew is right! Wonder what statement that makes about society, that people stripping for the opposite gender aren't necessarily fantasy types, while those stripping for the same gender seem to be. Or was it just the particular taste of the particular club owners at the particular gay clubs I went to? Hmm.

Maryn
04-15-2012, 09:44 PM
It's hard to say what's behind the hiring of a less-than-ideal body type for exotic dancing. In my experience, the worst bodies (male and female) were in het-friendly clubs in either small markets (medium-sized cities) and tourist markets counting on new suckers rather than repeat business. These clubs also featured the least skill as dancers as well as the least professionalism--seriously, carrying on a conversation with another employee while you dance? I shouldn't have seen that even once, much less twice. It completely ruins the illusion that the person is dancing just for you, and enjoying it, maybe even connecting, and isn't that what the club owners want?

Maryn, who hasn't been to a strip club in a lot of years

urbanmum
04-29-2012, 03:45 AM
Yes it does! You've inspired a lot of questions too! As a server, did you notice if favourites were treated much differently? Did your own tips change depending on how well the dancers did? Do bar staff receive higher pay at dance clubs? Did you enjoy the work?

Hi Nuwanda. I can't believe it's been just over a month since I logged in, that's crazy (usually), sorry :(

In case you are still working on it, in answer to your questions:

Yes, favorites were definitely treated differently and on both sides. Girls who the owner really liked (the tallest, leggiest, did best on the pole, most outgoing, what he thought of as "ideal dancers") got away with skipping shifts, showing up late, running a tab etc. Ditto for males with the best physique and steadiest stream of regulars. It's all about the business, they want to hold on to staff who make the club look good, so that people tell their friends and it causes great word of mouth buzz.

The actual rate of pay was standard and as for my tips, no they were not affected by the dancers that way. It's the same as any other bar, in the sense that you have your own rapport with the customers. If you maintain a good relationship with the dancers, they tip you well too, as well as encouraging their customers to do the same.

Hope I was still able to help :cool:

Nuwanda
07-04-2012, 02:24 AM
Likewise to urbanmum, I can't believe it's been so long since I've looked in on this! I thought it would be a dead end for sure. All of the above info will be really helpful.

I've got a dancer who wants to do an interview, but I'm having trouble with him. He keeps overbooking. Although he tells me he really wants to do this, I've got to move on....so I checked back into this board and here you all were!

Nuwanda
07-04-2012, 02:32 AM
A few weeks ago I went with my wife and her dancing class to a Syrian Sheesha bar in Rusholme. We were there to watch one of the tutor's old students dancing professionally. Different culture but it may be relevant if you want me to share any details of that? Main thing I remember about the night was that she got 2 tips given to her - both 20 notes (I think that is about $40?) and I heard a story that in that culture it is actually an insult not to tip and, when the teacher was dancing at someone's wedding, it was the bride's grandmother who gave the first tip in order to encourage the men to do so...

Oh, man that is really awesome! So was this more burlesque or was it just strip tease? When you say it was the teacher at someone's wedding......how do you mean? These are only female dancers I'm assuming?

Nuwanda
07-04-2012, 02:45 AM
Huh, that's interesting. I've only ever seen male strippers at gay clubs, and every single one had a fantastic body--a range from thin but athletic to obviously cut from hours at the gym. Many of the female strippers I know, though (who strip for men, I've never been to a lesbian club)...ee-e-ew is right! Wonder what statement that makes about society, that people stripping for the opposite gender aren't necessarily fantasy types, while those stripping for the same gender seem to be. Or was it just the particular taste of the particular club owners at the particular gay clubs I went to? Hmm.

That's something to think about. I've only been to La Bare once for a birthday party and all the men were ideal romance cover types. I really appreciated the ONE dancer that had hair on his chest though. That's just my thing...men should have hair...but it that also goes back to the theory that masculinity is more of a threat to women who aren't ovulating and/or on the pill/prepubescent. Which could play into this novel very nicely.

Anyway, they all were nicely built, even the hairy chested older guy. One of the dancers there did areal work and was reputed to be from a Cirque du Soliel cast and a few of them did fire juggling. Is that unique to only this club?

La Bare has been around for awhile anyway and has a reputation I guess that other clubs don't have?

Maryn also brings up one of the big questions that I've been wanting to ask my wayward dancer: are the customers who are handicapped in someway treated with more attention because it's expected that they don't get it outside the club?
It's a harsh thought, but one I'm bound to come across.

Ketzel
07-04-2012, 02:55 AM
Strip City by Lily Burana, subtitled "A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America," is a memoir you might find helpful. Even though it's written by a woman, I would imagine the information about the basics of the business would be a useful background for you.

Nuwanda
07-04-2012, 03:14 AM
Strip City by Lily Burana, subtitled "A Stripper's Farewell Journey Across America," is a memoir you might find helpful. Even though it's written by a woman, I would imagine the information about the basics of the business would be a useful background for you.

I'll look to see if I have that on my shelf. I bought a memoir by a female stripper the other day in addition to All I could Bare by Craig Seymour. He started out by researching for his thesis. I've noticed that there tends to be more written on the female clubs.

Ketzel
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Not so surprising. I'd guess there are a lot more of them.

Nuwanda
07-11-2012, 07:54 PM
Ketzel, I just realized that I do not have that book, so thank you for suggesting it!