PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Formula 1: The year of the platypus.

KellyAssauer
03-24-2012, 06:31 AM
So?
Was Melbourne an indicator?
Has the Redbull been slain?
Is it MacLaren and Jenson Button's year?

Does Whamilton still have a punch?
Can Michael and Ross get that elusive podium and put Mercedes back into the mix...

And what about... Ferrari?

*for that matter, how will Rubens do in Indycar?*

I can't be the only one here that cares... or can I?

Anyone?

Sheila Muirenn
03-28-2012, 10:57 PM
:flag::Shrug::Shrug::Shrug::Shrug::e2drown:

????????

:e2bear::e2bear::e2bear::e2bear:

Perks
03-28-2012, 11:11 PM
You know, I'm still waiting for Nico Rosberg to break big. I love him.

Our satellite went out and my recording of Malaysia was dorked, but I can't say I'm sorry not to hear Vettel droning on and on every damned race.

KellyAssauer
03-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Sheila, it's Formula One Auto Racing - some call it the world's most elite form of motor sport - The number two driver for Ferrari makes 16 million a year... heh.

So what? Well, umm, they are all paid well, are quit fit, speak various languages, travel the world, and some of them look like this:

http://i325.photobucket.com/albums/k365/alinneacsu/pilotif12012/mark-webber-12-01.jpg

*Mark Webber*

*drools*

Maylasia had a one hour rain delay.
Fernado Alonzo won...
(and how he did it in that car is a mystery to everyone)

Nico's a real looker too! ;)

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w279/temptedlush/blog/rosberg-1.jpg

Sheila Muirenn
03-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Ah! You've good taste Kelly.

I don't have television, so lack a little sometimes in 'what's going on' category! ;)

KellyAssauer
03-29-2012, 02:17 AM
I went TV-less for several years. I enjoyed it. =)

I'm not sure good taste has anything to do with young, fit, well versed, rich, European men in cute little jumpsuits...

But if you say so. ;)

TedTheewen
03-29-2012, 02:55 AM
I was very impressed with Perez and how well he's done in the first two races of the season.

I think the new changes to the exhaust are really showing the limits of Red Bull and specifically, Vettel's driving style. If you watch him, he barrels into a corner hard and literally jumps the back end, then punches the throttle. This is only possible with good downforce on the rear. As he does not have this, he can't slam into the corners like before.

Also, I'm beginning to question a few things about F1 and just how legitimate the results are. Perez was backed off of Massa by his team because they didn't want to make Ferrari mad by beating them with their own parts. And Bernie has publicly said he didn't want Vettel to repeat as a champion. I really hope that he doesn't turn the sport into Professional Wrestling on wheels. Fixed races are a betrayal to fans.

KellyAssauer
03-29-2012, 03:44 AM
I have to agree that the Red Bull tean isn't where they want to be. The Ferrari's as well had issues with being very wiggly, and we don't know what the FIA is going to say about the Mercedes f-duct rules interpretation... That 'mysterious' Sauber team radio transmission to Perez about passing your engine supplier was hysterical! - and yet terribly ill-conceived.

Perez, Maldonado, & Grosjean, all look to be in great form!

The season really looks like anyone can have it! Of course if you were to ask me who I'd like to see win it? I'd go with the sentimental favorite of a Senna in a Williams-Renault.
But I seriously doubt...

As for Bernie, he can't control a race. There's just too many things, like rain... so he can say what he'd like to see, but I doubt he'll get it, and Professional Wrestling on wheels? I feel like we might already have that here in the states. It could be why one of the world's best drivers can't get a win in one of those oval things... but discretion won't let me say another word more.

;)

Whatever happens? I don't believe Melbourne, or Malaysia, are going to be the 'standards' by which this season crowns a champion.

*not bad for a girl huh?* ;)

*Go Juan Pablo! Go!*

TedTheewen
03-29-2012, 04:16 AM
I didn't check out your profile so I didn't know you really were a girl. No offense.

I used to work at a dirt track and there was a 15 year-old girl who could out-drive a lot of folks. She was just doing that for fun until she could graduate early and go to medical school. Yeah, she was that impressive.

I cannot stand NASCAR. I hate the fans and I hate the way the fans act around the sport. Of course, not having been to an F1 race, they might have drunken supporters of one team picking fights with the drunken crews of another team, too.

I'm wary of Bernie. You're right, there is a ton of stuff he cannot control but there is enough he can that makes things questionable. And I hope they do come down on Perez's team for making that comment. Ferrari should be embarrassed that somebody even thought of such a thing.

Massa is probably on his way out anyways and Perez is the most likely guy to go to Ferrari. And with each race my respect for Team Ferrari goes down.

You're right, this season is really up for grabs right now and that's part of the fun. I'm hoping Schumacher gets back on the podium because I really like the idea of an amazing champion like that coming back to show people how it is done.

Are you planning on going to the race in Austin this year?

KellyAssauer
03-29-2012, 04:27 AM
Will Austin be ready this year? and isn't the New Jersey street course still planned for November. Can you imagine? November...

Austin is 3/4 the ways across the country for me by train.
I can drive to Jersey in 5 hours...

TedTheewen
03-29-2012, 07:24 AM
I wish I had the money for it. I didn't have the cash to buy in to the lottery this winter.

Perks
03-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Austin should be good to go, but I don't think Jersey's on the calendar this year.

We've looked in to going to the Austin race, but if the psycho hotel prices are any indication of how badly they're going to gouge everyone on the tickets, then it will likely be out of our reach.

TedTheewen
03-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I think Austin as a whole is going to suck the life out of everybody they can at this event. One would be better off staying 60 miles away or more, then going to the race, and leaving right away.

Perks
03-30-2012, 04:09 PM
That doesn't work too well if you want to be there for the race weekend. Friday practice and qualifying are very cool, especially if you never get to see these cars up close.

JimmyB27
03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
I wish I had more interest in F1. I saw the new Mercedes car in the flesh a month or two before it was officially revealed, which was pretty cool even for a non-fan like me. They had a blanket over the gear box which only served to make me really want to see it - wouldn't have noticed it if it were uncovered. :P

Perks
03-30-2012, 04:29 PM
They had a blanket over the gear box which only served to make me really want to see it - wouldn't have noticed it if it were uncovered. :POh they have a huge issue with technology and innovation poaching. Michael Schumacher almost had a tantrum before the first race. He'd lost his car in the gravel run-off and couldn't drive it out, so they had to use a crane. He almost popped a vein in his forehead impressing upon the track marshals not too lift the car too high into the air, presumably to keep the underguts private for Mercedes' collective blood pressure.

JimmyB27
03-30-2012, 04:36 PM
The guy I sit next to at work was telling me yesterday about how on manufacturer (I think it was Lotus?) designed some new aerodynamic technology or something, but it was impossible to hide. So instead, they erected this big gazebo type thing to cover the car every time they worked on the gearbox, and everyone assumed it was some new design there that was getting them their faster times. :D

TedTheewen
03-31-2012, 06:44 AM
I love the secrecy games they play! I mean, mystery is part of the whole sport, too. The small little innovations that give them .2 seconds off a lap and whatnot.

KellyAssauer
04-14-2012, 04:54 PM
You know, I'm still waiting for Nico Rosberg to break big. I love him.

Nico! Nico! Nico!

Wow! Amazing, dumbfounding, record setting!

Nico Roseberg becomes the first Mercedes driver to set pole in a formula one race in 57 years!!! The last driver to do so was the legendary Fazio in 1955.

Mercedes starts 1-2 in China*!
*Hamilton had qualified second, but a gearbox change penalty moves him back 5 grid places*

Christian Vettel never made Q3?

This is seriously going to be the wildest if not strangest F1 season in years!

I'm loving it!

Perks
04-16-2012, 04:41 PM
I know! I was traveling this weekend so I had the taped qualifying and race waiting for me when I got home. I'm so pleased for him. I've loved that guy for years.

Many, many returns, Nico! Hope the top step is your home often.

KellyAssauer
04-21-2012, 07:58 PM
Okay then....

Qualifying is over for Bahrain.

A one-two Red Bull!

*Not to be confused with a one-two Mercedes*
*or a one-two McLaren*

This is just weird on top of weird. :)

Perks
04-21-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah, and Formula 1 on the front page of CNN.com's U.S. version is pretty weird.

I don't think F1 should be in Bahrain this year.

yaser1984
05-18-2012, 03:37 PM
This year will be win Alonso

Purple Rose
05-18-2012, 04:19 PM
So? I can't be the only one here that cares... or can I? Anyone?

I think you'll get a number of Brits and Europeans who'd be interested. My country hosts the only night race and it is all glitzy with big stars in town at that time and I still don't care. My husband is a big fan and so are my 20-yearold twins who have watched nearly every race since they were 10. Still, I don't care.

I think they should ban a sport which burns so much petrol. It really is outrageous that normal people like my family turn into zombies, eyes glued to the TV screen, empty stomachs willing to delay dinner, while cars go round and round a track at break-neck speed and bursting some ear drums in the process.

After all that, I still have to say - Button is a cutie and I like Massa because I think he's a nice guy. Schumacher had his glory days and they're over. he should just bow out gracefully.

TedTheewen
06-12-2012, 02:11 AM
I wish I could keep awake for the races this season. F1 races on TV are better than knock-out pills for this as of late. Doesn't even matter what time of day the race is on, I fall asleep. Good races, too.

The tire issue should be interesting in Texas.

Perks
06-12-2012, 02:27 AM
It looks like I'll be going to Austin! YAY!

KellyAssauer
06-12-2012, 02:43 AM
Wow, I'd need to sell a book, and make a ton of money to make it to Austin. =) Good for you! - Maybe by then someone will be winning this thing. Seven races, seven winners... it's just plain nuts. I haven't seen a season so up in the air since Michael retired. I kinda like it. =)

Perks
06-12-2012, 02:47 AM
I'm enjoying it, too. And I love to hear Kimibot talking, so that's always a plus.

We have friends putting us up in Austin, which makes it doable as a 15th wedding anniversary present to ourselves. Most decent hotels in the area are running up to $500 a night!

KellyAssauer
06-12-2012, 02:58 AM
...whoa,

and you have friends too?

Pfft. Now you're just showing off.

;)

Perks
06-12-2012, 03:01 AM
I bought those friends at WalMart, so, you know...

KellyAssauer
06-12-2012, 03:34 AM
I bought those friends at WalMart, so, you know...

Any of them... have tickets for Shanghi? :D ;)

Perks
06-12-2012, 04:48 AM
If I could go to any race, I think I'd go to Budapest, Istanbul, or Spa.

JimmyB27
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
I got to see the Mercedes GP car (well, last year's I think) doing donuts in our work car park a couple of weeks ago.

Just sayin'. :D

Perks
06-12-2012, 04:09 PM
I got to see the Mercedes GP car (well, last year's I think) doing donuts in our work car park a couple of weeks ago.

Just sayin'. :DEeeep! Who was driving it?

JimmyB27
06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Eeeep! Who was driving it?
Their simulator driver Anthony Davidson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Davidson).

Perks
06-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Ha! I know Anthony Davidson -- I mean, not personally. Back from the last year at Honda. He ran over a woodchuck at Montreal in 2007. Lol!

TedTheewen
06-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Has anybody read Jackie Stewart's autobiography? I'm thinking about putting it on the list. Oh, and I'll also say the lines I take in corners is better from watching lots of F1, but it has my friends a bit worried the way I dive into them. And my Ford Taurus isn't exactly nimble.

Perks
06-13-2012, 04:04 PM
Ha! When I started grasping the concept of what oversteer and understeer looked and felt like, I kept trying to test my Pontiac for those qualities. #notpretty

TedTheewen
06-13-2012, 06:50 PM
This is why I need a good sports car. I figure it's about education n' stuff.

Perks
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Oh no. Maria de Villota, one of only two women drivers in Formula 1, has lost her eye in a horrible crash in England.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/04/sport/motorsport/de-villota-f1-marussia-motorsport/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

She's sustained a terrible head injury. She was testing for the Marussia team.

Awful.

TedTheewen
07-05-2012, 01:30 AM
This is terrible news.

TedTheewen
07-08-2012, 10:28 PM
So why is it always Maldonado?

TedTheewen
08-25-2012, 08:34 AM
I wish they'd hurry up and get back on the track....1 more week.

KellyAssauer
08-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Same here, this break is just too long! Although if it's allowed Mark to figure out something to go a tad faster... then the rest of the season would really be exciting to me. He seems like one of those guys that deserves to win it once and just hasn't.

TedTheewen
08-25-2012, 08:21 PM
These last few races are gonna be awesome! And I love how Schumaker has gotten better. I mean, he had a podium finish this year! Go old people!

onesecondglance
09-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Cool, I was hoping there would be some other F1 nuts around here.

As a huge Jenson Button fan, let me start by saying that I thought this weekend was amazing :D

But also, just how good was Seb's drive through to finish second? Some brilliant overtakes through the bus stop chicane.

Grosjean's penalty has been a long time coming. He needs to learn a bit more patience. There's a reason Kimi is doing so well in the championship - he's finishing races. Maldonado's also overdue a ban, although a cumulative 10-place grid penalty for Monza should be a bit of a wake-up call. I must say, the Sky F1 feature with him doing his demo in Venezuala was highly entertaining thanks to his inability to drive in a straight line without spinning :roll:

The questions for next weekend are: can Lewis keep his head straight and refrain from tweeting vital stats? can Alonso deliver a home victory for the Tifosi? or will McLaren's new tie-fighter sidepods deliver Jenson another win?

KellyAssauer
09-03-2012, 02:36 PM
I had to record the Spa race because I was out of town, so it gave me the opportunity to "rewind" and I still don't understand Maldonado's penalty for jumping the start. It doesn't appear that he did jump it.

The other thing that I don't understand: Why did Hamilton stay on the petrol pedal? He never lifted? It appears to me as though he shoved Grosjean with great purpose and intent... and it's not like Grosjean was doing anything wrong - unless 'driving just like Hamilton' is something an F1 driver shouldn't do?

onesecondglance
09-03-2012, 04:06 PM
I don't agree, Kelly - on the replays I saw Hamilton did try to move away from Grosjean, but he ran out of road - and if he'd braked the crash would have been everyone behind him colliding with his rear wing. I didn't see Hamilton move toward Grosjean at all?

It was a clumsy move by Grosjean - if he'd managed to not clip Hamilton it would have been an aggressive but effective piece of driving, but as he didn't... although I will agree that Hamilton tends to view other drivers with the same style as him as dangerous! It's all right if you're him but not anyone else...

Maldonado - not sure I could tell if it was a jump start, but Alonso (next to him on the grid) certainly thought so, as did Charlie Whiting (great replay of him shaking his head in bemusement at the start).

mirandashell
09-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Watching Grosjean's car fly through the air and miss Alonso by inches was pretty scary.

I didn't see Hamilton do anything wrong either. He just got pushed off the road by Grosjean, the touch on the front wheel caused him to spin back into the track and it was pure chaos for the next 10 seconds or so.

Perks
09-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Gaaaaah! My living arrangements make it so I can't watch the races pretty much for the rest of the year unless we find friends that have the SPEED channel. I read about this, but I haven't seen the last three races. What has Lewis been tweeting?

We're building a house and our temporary residence has only very basic satellite reception. We decided not to pay for the upgrade while we're here, because the money we'll save will go into our entertainment system in the new house.

Grrr. I'm missing everything. But not everything. I'll get to see at least one more race this year - Austin - because I'll be there in person! :)

KellyAssauer
09-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I adored Hamilton in his rookie season, such a wonderfully gifted, polite and humble young man. (I want him back!)

I'll admit that on occasion, here lately, I've found myself shaking my head in bemusement and mumbling 'Wham-ilton' under my breath...

I really need to stop doing that. =)

btw: After last week's fourth place finish in Indycar,
Rubens finished 5th in yesterday's race! Go Rubens!

Perks
09-03-2012, 06:31 PM
I also loved Hamilton that first year. My favorites are now just a mix of awe for their skill and/or of affection for their personality.

TedTheewen
09-03-2012, 10:40 PM
I don't care how hold Micheal Schumaker is, I'm gonna keep cheering for him. There's just something about him I like.

Grosjean surprised me with his recklessness, too. Brilliant season down the drain.

DreamWeaver
09-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Grrr. I'm missing everything. But not everything. I'll get to see at least one more race this year - Austin - because I'll be there in person! :)Seriously jealous :D. I considered going to Austin, but when I checked for hotels they were all full--and that was back several months ago. I realize it's probably mostly tour packages reserving the rooms, but I needed to be able to use an employee family discount...and that ain't happening ;).

DreamWeaver
09-04-2012, 02:52 AM
On the Speed coverage, they had a during-the-race audio interview with Maldonado, and even *he* thought he'd jumped the gun. From the replay they frame-by-framed, it appeared he didn't move until the lights had gone out. But evidently they also have electronic means of monitoring the start, so since he got a penalty I guess the electronic monitors showed that.

I think Alonso just sat in his car for that time because he was in shock. If you watch the replay from his car viewpoint, there he was just heading for the first corner when suddenly a car came sailing over his head and almost beaned him. I don't think he had any chance whatsoever to brace for what was about to hit him. He's amazingly lucky to be unharmed!

DreamWeaver
09-04-2012, 02:55 AM
...and not to overpost all at once, but that one pass by Kimi where he stalked his prey, waited his moment, and cut in the afterburners (DRS) just after the detection zone to pass like a bat out of hell in Eau Rouge was spectacular :D.

Perks
09-04-2012, 03:12 AM
Seriously jealous :D. I considered going to Austin, but when I checked for hotels they were all full--and that was back several months ago. I realize it's probably mostly tour packages reserving the rooms, but I needed to be able to use an employee family discount...and that ain't happening ;).We have a friend who lives about ten minutes from the track, so we lucked out.

DreamWeaver
09-04-2012, 03:16 AM
We have a friend who lives about ten minutes from the track, so we lucked out.Like I said...seriously jealous! We'll want a good report :).

TedTheewen
09-04-2012, 04:07 AM
Yeah, I'm jealous, too. Very jealous. I'd go down there in an RV but then people might think I'm a NASCAR fan and that just won't do.

onesecondglance
09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I think Alonso just sat in his car for that time because he was in shock. If you watch the replay from his car viewpoint, there he was just heading for the first corner when suddenly a car came sailing over his head and almost beaned him.

One of the scariest things I've ever seen.

Back to Hamilton being a fool... do you US guys get the little McLaren animations in your race coverage? They pop them in the ad breaks on Sky F1. They're rather good, and show a nice human side to the drivers. I expect they're on Youtube.

KellyAssauer
09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I'm jealous, too. Very jealous. I'd go down there in an RV but then people might think I'm a NASCAR fan and that just won't do.

:ROFL:

Oh geez that's way funnier than it should be.

To be totally honest though, I do check to see how Danica and Juan Pablo are doing from time to time. For some reason I care about them as driver's. For that matter my ears pick up when anyone mentions Nelson Piquet Jr. or Jacques Villeneuve...

Wow, I never realized just how bad I have it...

DreamWeaver
09-06-2012, 06:14 AM
One of my treasured DVR saves is Juan Pablo setting the track on fire at Daytona this year. And I mean literally setting the track on fire :eek:. I know, I know--mechanical, not his fault. But dang, it was like Hollywood special effects. Especially the river of fire running down the track banking. DISCLAIMER: would not have been remotely funny if anyone had gotten hurt.

ETA: the cherry on top was the Tide powder detergent used in the final cleanup. Best unplanned product placement ever :).

TedTheewen
09-06-2012, 08:44 AM
That was a seriously crazy accident.

KellyAssauer
09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
Here's something I don't understand, Juan's supposed to be this 'bad-boy' when it comes to that 'go fast - turn left' crowd...

In his post jet-drier accident interview he indicated that when his car broke and he realized he was going to hit the drier-truck... all he thought of as it happened were the lives and safety of the truck crew. He said that he shared the ride to the hospital with the driver and was relieved to find that he was okay - if not pretty shook up. I thought Juan's concern was quite touching - so not a bad boy. Now if someone could just talk him into driving a winning LeMans car...

bmadsen
09-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Oh, dear! Formula 1 fans in AW, just great! I'm a Button fan me-self, and that last race was surely a bit "rough" around the edges. Good thing I found this thread!

TedTheewen
09-06-2012, 09:21 PM
Kelly, isn't that the sort of attitude they expect out of NASCAR drivers? I'm willing to bet somebody wrote that for him.

jvc
09-14-2012, 01:49 AM
So, whad'ya all think: is Hamilton going to stay at Mclaren? Is Massa out the door of Ferrari?

KellyAssauer
09-14-2012, 02:03 AM
Rumor has it that Scuderia has been interested in Sergio all season, and after that performance in Monza!...in front of the faithful...

well, ahem...

Even though it breaks my heart to hear rumors of Massa leaving.
(Apparently, I have a thing for bridesmaid drivers. Go Rubens!)

and Hamilton?
Hasn't Hamilton always been Hamilton's own worst enemy? =)
He'd been a fool to leave...

jvc
09-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Rumor has it that Scuderia has been interested in Sergio all season, and after that performance in Monza!...in front of the faithful...
Didn't Montezemolo say that Perez wasn't ready for a ferrari seat next year? In which case he aint gonna be in red for a while. Although he has been doing very well this season and did a good job at Monza.

well, ahem...

Even though it breaks my heart to hear rumors of Massa leaving.
(Apparently, I have a thing for bridesmaid drivers. Go Rubens!)
I like to support the underdog so I kinda like Massa. He has been a number 2 for so long he doesn't know anything else to do apart from be a number 2. I liked Ruben's for the same reason. Never expected to be a number 1, so when he did well, it was all the more sweet.

and Hamilton?
Hasn't Hamilton always been Hamilton's own worst enemy? =)
He'd been a fool to leave...
He is a great driver, no one can deny that. But he does seem to have a chip on his shoulder at the moment. Releasing those tweets was not his smartest move ever. But I'd like to think he'll stay put, it'd be stupid to go to a lesser team. I also think he'll come through stronger in the later half of the season and pull ahead of Alonso. Should be a very good and a very tight race to the finish.

TedTheewen
09-14-2012, 07:30 AM
Didn't Montezemolo say that Perez wasn't ready for a ferrari seat next year? In which case he aint gonna be in red for a while. Although he has been doing very well this season and did a good job at Monza.

I think Perez is almost automatic for driving a red car next season.

DreamWeaver
09-14-2012, 07:52 AM
I feel bad for Massa, but it really looks like his days at Ferrari are numbered. Other that Perez, who might be in line for that job?

TedTheewen
09-14-2012, 08:01 AM
I feel bad for Massa, but it really looks like his days at Ferrari are numbered. Other that Perez, who might be in line for that job?

That's just it, who else could there be? Perez seems to have earned it. And Massa brought a lot of this on himself.

onesecondglance
09-14-2012, 11:57 AM
The Perez thing has been circulating for a while, but I'm not sure - he's been making very positive noises about staying with Sauber, and Ferrari tend not to go for drivers with just a few seasons under their belts. He's been one of the very best out there this season though, without a doubt.

Massa has to go. I don't have anything against Felipe, but his performance has just not been good enough - for several years now.

I reckon Hamilton will go to Mercedes. It will be a mistake, and he won't get the wins he wants. And McLaren are going to really struggle to fill the hole he leaves.

KellyAssauer
09-14-2012, 02:21 PM
That's just it, who else could there be? Perez seems to have earned it. And Massa brought a lot of this on himself.

Yes, right. Massa made sure that Williams suspension spring hit him squarely on the helmet, and he made sure that when he was faster and winning the race that he backed off to let Alonzo go by... Hey? didn't Massa make sure Hamilton passed one last car in the that final turn in Brazil? ;)

I'm just kidding! Massa seems to be a good kid, no outbursts! and not a bad racer, but wow has he had his share of bad luck. =(

jvc
09-14-2012, 07:12 PM
Perhaps Montezemolo saying Perez won't be at ferrari next year was just a smoke screen. But they tend to announce their drivers for the following year at Monza, which they didn't this year. It could mean they are giving Perez another few races to see if he would fit with the team in 2013, or it could mean they are giving Massa a few more races to see he steps up and does a good job. I'm kinda hoping Massa does better and stays at ferrari, he's a good kid.

As for Hamilton, well, I'd like to think he will stay put at Mclaren. He has been with that team since he was a kid, so it would make sense he stays. However, maybe a switch to Merc isn't such a bad thing in the long run. If he can work closely with Ross Brawn then he may only suffer one year in the wilderness not winning or being competative at the races. But never rule out Brawn in developing a kick-ass car for next year, he is, after all, one of the best out there.

And what if Schuey stays at Merc for another year and Hamilton goes to Merc as well? That would be an interesting pairing. Hamilton would no doubt want undisputed number one status at that team. Would he get it if Michael stays?

TedTheewen
09-14-2012, 08:49 PM
Yes, right. Massa made sure that Williams suspension spring hit him squarely on the helmet, and he made sure that when he was faster and winning the race that he backed off to let Alonzo go by... Hey? didn't Massa make sure Hamilton passed one last car in the that final turn in Brazil? ;)

I'm just kidding! Massa seems to be a good kid, no outbursts! and not a bad racer, but wow has he had his share of bad luck. =(

I must be confused. I thought Massa had some attitude problems. If not, then I have it backwards. Won't be the first time, either.

onesecondglance
09-14-2012, 10:09 PM
No, Massa has had some outbursts... like the thing with Lewis last year. Rather childish from both of them. But kinda spices things up a bit :D

TedTheewen
09-15-2012, 06:49 AM
You know, the rumors of America actually fielding an F1 car leave me mixed feelings. I mean, sure, patriotism and all. But I think the embarrassment of getting beaten by Force India in a motor sport would be enough to keep me on the sidelines.

jvc
09-15-2012, 07:05 AM
I dunno, Force India have been doing pretty well this season. Not a bad little car. Not good, but not bad. If only Paul could do better in the race than he does in qualifying, they would be a lot more competative as a team.

KellyAssauer
09-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Before it begins...

Front row Hamilton & Maldonado,
Singapore, turn 10, the sling...

Is it me or is this a recipe for disaster?

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-23-2012, 04:36 PM
I watched qualifying yesterday... that course is wicked. They need to put bumper pads on some of the curves.

KellyAssauer
09-23-2012, 04:45 PM
I watched qualifying yesterday... that course is wicked. They need to put bumper pads on some of the curves.

I'm not a huge fan of the street courses, not even Monaco. Everything is just too close and too rock-solid. ("It's like riding your bicycle around your living room!") It makes me worry too much for everyone's safety. =(

TedTheewen
09-23-2012, 06:56 PM
But that's part of the awesomeness! It highlights their control.

onesecondglance
09-28-2012, 06:58 PM
The Perez thing has been circulating for a while, but I'm not sure - he's been making very positive noises about staying with Sauber, and Ferrari tend not to go for drivers with just a few seasons under their belts. He's been one of the very best out there this season though, without a doubt.

Massa has to go. I don't have anything against Felipe, but his performance has just not been good enough - for several years now.

I reckon Hamilton will go to Mercedes. It will be a mistake, and he won't get the wins he wants. And McLaren are going to really struggle to fill the hole he leaves.

Hammy went chasing the money! And Speedy Sergio will be filling his shoes.

Gonna be an awkward end to the season if the McLaren keeps being good and Lewis gets within striking distance of Alonso...

TedTheewen
10-01-2012, 03:47 AM
I wish I had a dvr so I could record races I keep sleeping through.

And how many here dream of driving on F1 car to work during the morning commute?

jvc
10-01-2012, 07:23 AM
I wish I had a dvr so I could record races I keep sleeping through.

And how many here dream of driving on F1 car to work during the morning commute?
The speed bumps may make it painful and more than a tad tricky. ;)

DreamWeaver
10-01-2012, 07:26 AM
I dreamt of driving an F1 car until I watched the Top Gear episode where Richard gets to drive one. It took him forever to make it around the track and he set a new record for stalling. He finally figured out that to warm the tires up to get grip, and to get enough downforce to keep the car on the road, he had to go into corners at a speed that felt almost suicidal. Evidently there is no learning by going slow and easy in F1--you have to get that out of your system in karts or F3...

TedTheewen
10-01-2012, 07:33 AM
But that's part of the coolness of it all...just blast around corners and drive like hell.

DreamWeaver
10-01-2012, 07:35 AM
If Perez is going to McLaren, who is going to Ferrari? Or do you think Massa will keep his job another year?

TedTheewen
10-01-2012, 07:38 AM
Yeah, a lot of questions got answered with this announcement (http://sports.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/story.asp?i=20120928092130580000101&ref=rec&tm=&series=FORM1). But now we have more questions to figure out.

KellyAssauer
10-01-2012, 07:38 AM
No one's left Ferrari...
yet.

and Jenson Button is probably having one heck of party...

;)

jvc
10-01-2012, 07:42 AM
I do think Massa is probably going to stay now. He is a great number 2 and Alonso wants a number 2 that knows he is a number 2 and will not try and be anything else other than a number 2. Massa is a big fat number 2 for wanting to be a number 2.

TedTheewen
10-01-2012, 07:44 AM
I think Ferrari is going to wait until the end of the season before they make their announcement.

jvc
10-01-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah, but ferrari want a driver who is good (Massa) but not too good as to be able to upset Mr. Sensitive (Alonso). Massa does fit that bill.

DreamWeaver
10-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Like Ferrari has ever cared if they upset anyone. Isn't Nasty Internal Politics with Cutthroat Competition Between Drivers their middle name?

TedTheewen
10-05-2012, 07:02 AM
A great man (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/andrewbenson/2012/10/never_forget_how_great_schumac.html?utm_source=twi tterfeed&utm_medium=twitter) announced his second retirement. It's no surprise, but it's still a bit sad. He was great.

I wonder if he'll go back to being The Stig?

jvc
10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
A good little race today in Japan. Glad to see Kobayashi on the podium for the first time and in his home grand prix. Massa did a solid job, too. His first podium finish in thirty five races and almost two years. It might just be enough for him to be retained by the boys in red.

onesecondglance
10-07-2012, 10:03 PM
I think Felipe will - unfortunately for Kamui, I have a feeling Sauber have already made up their minds to have two new drivers next year...

DreamWeaver
10-08-2012, 07:17 AM
Had a great time watching the Japanese Grand Prix. Even my sister-in-law got into rooting for Kamui to manage to stay out of Button's clutches long enough to grab third (I was actually jumping up and down at the end :D).

Followed up by showing her and my brother the YouTube clip of Patrese driving his wife around a track (I never figured out which one), with subtitles. But with the Italian exclamations and gestures she ended up using, the subtitles were essentially superfluous. Then at the very end she notices the camera--and bursts out laughing. What a woman! I would have killed him ;).

ETA: If you haven't seen the clip, go to YouTube and search "Formula 1 Wife." You won't regret it. Probably NSFW if anyone in your office actually speaks Italian...

TedTheewen
10-08-2012, 07:39 AM
Times like these I wish my tv worked.

jvc
10-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I loved what Webber said about Grosjean (who had another first lap crash). He said there should be two different starts to the grand prix: One for Grosjean and one for everyone else.

But Grosjean does need a good talking to by someone. There is only so many times you can blame someone else for these first lap crashes without looking into yourself for the cause. He's had, what, seven of them this year so far?

Oh, and Lewis Hamilton really should stay away from twitter, he's had another stupid comment on there today.

onesecondglance
10-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Oh, my. Just seen Lewis' latest Twitter outburst... someone steal his phone, quick! :D

TedTheewen
10-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Twitter should change it's logo to a mouth with a foot stuffed in it. How many people have said something stupid on it?

DreamWeaver
10-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I can't believe you're all going to make me go out and track this stupid tweet down on F1 sites...:D

TedTheewen
10-09-2012, 08:02 AM
sorry...google it, it's all over the place

onesecondglance
10-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I can't believe you're all going to make me go out and track this stupid tweet down on F1 sites...:D

BBC News article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/19868235)

Speaking of F1 news sites, my fave is James Allen's: www.jamesallenonf1.com

jvc
10-15-2012, 12:04 AM
A pretty good race today. Not for certain British drivers, such as Button and Hamilton, who picked up some astro-turf near to the end of the race. I guess they are both out of the championship race now. However, Vettel won again and now leads Alonso in the championship. Out of the two of them, I'd prefer Vettel win it, if I'm honest. Oh, and Grosjean didn't ram anyone on the first lap this time, what a surprise.

Oh and I still think Massa is staying at Ferrari. He is certainly driving better at the moment. (Massa for World Champion 2013 :D ).

TedTheewen
10-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Grosjean proves he's a better driver than accused this weekend. He showed some skill avoiding wrecks.

jvc
10-15-2012, 12:39 AM
I think he's a fast driver and does have a lot of skill. However, it needs to be tempered a little. He has to learn when to go for it and when not to, and also to keep his eyes open and always be aware of what is going on around him, and not to have tunnel vision. But whoever had a talk to him and whatever was said, obviously worked for today's race. Time will tell if it sticks and time will tell if he still has a race seat next year. They may think he is too big a risk.

TedTheewen
10-15-2012, 12:41 AM
So the question is, who did they have come to see him and who would such a man listen to?

jvc
10-15-2012, 12:49 AM
Unless all the drivers got him at the back of the pits and threatened him with baseball bats. :D

TedTheewen
10-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Unless all the drivers got him at the back of the pits and threatened him with baseball bats. :D

That could be, too. But I'm guessing it was somebody he respected who came to him and talked to him. F1 drivers have huge egos and they don't succumb to threats easily. But respect means a lot.

jvc
10-15-2012, 01:46 AM
Perhaps it was as simple as the team telling him if he kept out of trouble for the next few races he'll have a race seat with them next year.

TedTheewen
10-15-2012, 02:47 AM
That could be it too. Never know with these teams, they really don't gossip much out of class.

DreamWeaver
10-15-2012, 06:46 AM
I really felt for poor Lewis, trying to stay in the points with a huge streamer of astro-turf trailing from the side of his car. And I bought into the "will Vettel's tires explode on the next lap?" hype, which made the last few laps quite exciting :D. Poor Felipe--think he could have easily taken Alonso if it weren't for team orders. Though I understand that any team would want to maximize their drivers' chances to win the championship, and only Fernando has a shot, so Massa had to be the sacrificial victim. I picture him in his hotel room afterwards, channeling Marlon Brando: "I coulda been on da podium!"

I have a lot of fun watching F1...

jvc
10-16-2012, 10:34 PM
It's official: Massa has a drive at ferrari next year. I hate being right all the time, it's such a burden. :D

DreamWeaver
10-20-2012, 05:41 AM
No New Jersey next year. I can't be the only one who is completely unsurprised, can I? ;)

Perks
10-22-2012, 06:31 PM
[edited to note that, after some discussion, we're going to go] What a year this has been. I'd call it a roller coaster, but that would be terribly cliched. Anyway, as you know, we've had arrangements for months to attend the Formula 1 race in Austin next month. We have friends who live there and were planning a wonderful, double date weekend for the event.

I got to go to New York last week, to meet all the gang at Simon & Schuster. It was tremendous. The day after I came back home, our friend Vladimir died. It was such a blow. He'd been fighting melanoma, but was doing pretty well. I'd just talked to them ten days earlier and he was feeling good. I still don't know what turned so horribly for the worst. Anyway, as you can imagine, we're stunned and very sad.

On a more practical matter, there's no way we can go to Austin now. There's no place to stay and the hotels are sky high for this event. We're building a house right now and splurging for that adjustment just can't happen.

If anyone knows a pair who'd be interested in our tickets, just PM me. The race is sold out and these are General Admission passes for the whole weekend - Friday Practice, Qualifying, and Sunday's race.

Gah. This is miserable.

onesecondglance
10-30-2012, 12:45 PM
So, Vettel's got this one sewn up, hasn't he?

Perks
10-30-2012, 04:37 PM
I can't believe he's going to take a third title. Boy's on fire.

onesecondglance
10-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Untouchable at the moment. I have an irrational dislike of Adrian Newey, but he sure can design a car. And Vettel sure can drive it!

Perks
10-30-2012, 04:51 PM
He can drive, that Seb V. And I liked him, then I didn't like him, and as I've missed half of this season (temporary housing with no access to the Speed Channel) and I don't know if I like him again. Is he still a massive pout-mountain when things don't go his way?

onesecondglance
10-30-2012, 05:43 PM
He is a bit. But he is less annoying when he wins now, Crazy Frog impressions aside. He comes across very laid back, very likeable in interviews.

DreamWeaver
10-30-2012, 06:10 PM
I watch F1 with my dad, who has Alzheimer's. One thing he remembers from race to race is Vettel petting the bull on his car after he wins. So, I have to root for Vettel to keep winning :D.

TedTheewen
10-30-2012, 08:06 PM
I watch F1 with my dad, who has Alzheimer's. One thing he remembers from race to race is Vettel petting the bull on his car after he wins. So, I have to root for Vettel to keep winning :D.

This is a cool memory to have.

I like Vettel. I always have and I really like the Red Bull drivers in most motor sports. Watching him destroy competition is a wonderful thing to see. He struggled at first but I knew that once he got the technique down in the corners with the new downforce scheme he would be unstoppable.

DreamWeaver
11-05-2012, 01:42 AM
So can someone explain to me exactly how starting from the pit lane works?

Perks
11-05-2012, 02:17 AM
As it turns out, after talking to everyone involved, we are going to Austin after all. Hopefully, the fun will balance out the sadness of not having our friend with us.

KellyAssauer
11-05-2012, 02:23 AM
If you start from the pit lane exit, you have to wait until all other cars (those that did not start from the pit lane) have passed the exit before you are allowed to proceed.

If there's two of you (or more) waiting to start in the pit lane, the 'order' is determined by the stewards in accordance to whom has the infraction first in the time-table of the race event.

In fairness to all the other drivers and constructors, it's rumored that Sebastian Vettel will start the US Grand Prix in San Marcos, with one hand tied behind his back...

DreamWeaver
11-05-2012, 03:20 AM
As it turns out, after talking to everyone involved, we are going to Austin after all. Hopefully, the fun will balance out the sadness of not having our friend with us.I'm glad you're able to go. I'll bet your friend would have wanted you to.

DreamWeaver
11-05-2012, 03:21 AM
In fairness to all the other drivers and constructors, it's rumored that Sebastian Vettel will start the US Grand Prix in San Marcos, with one hand tied behind his back...:roll:

...and thanks for the explanation!

TedTheewen
11-05-2012, 07:16 AM
I was cheering for Vettel to win this one. It seemed like a proper racing start for the guy.

I've been waiting for Kimi to say something to make it on the show. He's a bit of a wild child.

This was a great race but I really felt bad for Lewis Hamilton. I thought the comment that his car hasn't ran right since he announced he was leaving sorta resonated.

onesecondglance
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Vettel was undoubtedly very, very lucky out there - but he also drove superbly and made the most of that luck. I was gutted when he took Jenson at the end, but he was clearly faster at that stage of the race (I'm still annoyed with Jenson for his qualifying - half a tenth faster and he would have been ahead of Maldonado, and with the same start would have been leading after Lewis retired...)

Looking forward to the one-two punch of Austin and Interlagos to finish the season.

DreamWeaver
11-13-2012, 04:45 AM
I for one am extremely pleased that SpeedTV is going to show all the practices and qualifying, plus the race. I just hope I get to watch it all! Friday already looks a bit iffy :( .

Did I mention earlier that I get special Marriot rates through my brother's work, so I tried to reserve Austin rooms back in March and they were already all gone? I once got space shuttle launch rooms for $35 a night that way (going rate over $200 a night), but this time I was too late even though I tried eight months in advance ;). It's a bit sad that F1 rooms are easily much higher than space shuttle launch rooms.

JimmyB27
11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
It's just occurred to me that we're now six pages in and I still have no idea where the platypus figures in all of this...

Perks
11-13-2012, 05:45 PM
Did I mention earlier that I get special Marriot rates through my brother's work, so I tried to reserve Austin rooms back in March and they were already all gone? I once got space shuttle launch rooms for $35 a night that way (going rate over $200 a night), but this time I was too late even though I tried eight months in advance ;). It's a bit sad that F1 rooms are easily much higher than space shuttle launch rooms.I will tell you that there's not a car to rent in all of Central Texas. I'm scared. This may be a massive mess.

Or maybe it will be fine and I can stop being Eeyore.

TedTheewen
11-13-2012, 08:56 PM
It's too bad they did this in Texas. There are a whole bunch of states that could have used that track. Have they ever run a race in the snow? If you thought cold tires was an issue before, the Wisconsin Grand Prix would certainly be different.

Perks
11-14-2012, 02:15 AM
You are a bloodthirsty man, TedTheewen.

jvc
11-14-2012, 03:04 AM
It's just occurred to me that we're now six pages in and I still have no idea where the platypus figures in all of this...
It has to do with the design of the front nose of most of the cars as they look like a platypus. With the exception of the Mclaren car.

TedTheewen
11-14-2012, 08:47 AM
You are a bloodthirsty man, TedTheewen.

Not necessarily. I mean, I am, but that's besides the point. The colder weather would help with the super-soft tires. Plus, they would warm up after a few laps. Also, it would help keep the brakes cooler so they could be harder on them. I think it would all balance out in the end.

Also, if we had the Wisconsin GP, we could call it The Circuit of the Cheeses. Each corner would be called something like Cheddar or Swiss. And the hardest one would be called Limburger. And the winning driver would be given a huge wheel of cheese to hoist above his head triumphantly.

Perks
11-16-2012, 08:03 PM
had to put in the earplugs, but kimi, rosberg, button, and schumi just screamed by about 100 ft from my permagrin. Eeeeeep!

TedTheewen
11-16-2012, 08:20 PM
had to put in the earplugs, but kimi, rosberg, button, and schumi just screamed by about 100 ft from my permagrin. Eeeeeep!

You're gonna rub this in all weekend, ain't you? That's ok, I would too.

Perks
11-18-2012, 09:41 AM
No, because I only have my phone to type on and it's a pain in the tail. But we had qualifying (the HRT, as poor as it is, manages to be one of the prettiest cars on the grid) and then the program delivered a wonderful surprise we hadn't known about -- a concert by Collective Soul, one of our all time favorite bands. Excellent day.

TedTheewen
11-18-2012, 10:16 AM
You know, I really hope you have a good time. Treasure this one, it's special.

onesecondglance
11-18-2012, 05:43 PM

Like!

Perks
11-18-2012, 05:54 PM
You know, I really hope you have a good time. Treasure this one, it's special.

It really is. Vladimir is on our minds, but he would never begrudge us the fun. Excellent man.

Perks
11-18-2012, 08:37 PM
halfway between pit exit and turn 1, halfway up the hill, black floppy hat. That's me, baby.

TedTheewen
11-18-2012, 11:12 PM
I got bogged down doing some chores and I missed the first 4 laps. I'm not happy but I'll get over it.

Perks
11-19-2012, 01:15 AM
that was so cool.

TedTheewen
11-19-2012, 01:29 AM
*sigh* I hate being broke. I'm sick of this poverty. I missed a very cool moment in racing history and it sucks. I'll bet it was awesome just to be there.

onesecondglance
11-19-2012, 02:48 AM
What a race. What. A. Race.

TedTheewen
11-19-2012, 02:59 AM
The track was nice and wide, which meant the drivers had more room to work. Good race to watch. And I love the track.

Perks
11-19-2012, 05:01 AM
It was a beautiful track. I really hope (for the sake of the people who go in person) that the drought breaks and they can grow some grass. The dust blowing around was a pain.

Still, it was very well-organized and the track is a beautiful layout. Great venue.

TedTheewen
11-19-2012, 05:20 AM
I'll bet merchandise wasn't cheap. How much was a beer?

DreamWeaver
11-19-2012, 06:12 AM
Which is the best grandstand for seeing the largest amount of track with interesting things happening? I kind of got my eye on one almost at the end of the esses...just in case, for future reference :D.

Perks
11-19-2012, 06:45 AM
I like the pavillion seating at turn 2, but the esses would be pretty good. For general admission, the hill where I was gave the best view in my opinion.

Merchandise was crazy. Beer was $9 and I didn't even bother with food.

TedTheewen
11-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Wow. That's insane. Of course, they figure everybody is rich so hit them hard.

Perks
11-24-2012, 09:16 PM
Now where am I going to watch the final race tomorrow? We can't get it in the temporary housing we've got here. And the sports bars don't open until 11am. Thanks going to be pushing it.

TedTheewen
11-24-2012, 10:05 PM
Perks, if you have a decent web connection, you can always search around for a live feed. I had to do that a couple of times.

Perks
11-24-2012, 10:24 PM
hmmm. I could look into that, I suppose.

Perks
11-25-2012, 10:28 PM
So we went to a local restaurant and begged them to let us turn one of the TVs to SpeedTV instead of football.

The audio was very indistinct in the room, so I don't know what all I missed in my ears, but I'm sure glad I got to see that race!

Was there any talk of Vettel passing under the yellow caution?

TedTheewen
11-26-2012, 01:33 AM
Yeah, there was, but I don't believe anything came of it. Vettel is champ again, which is awesome considering the season.

KellyAssauer
11-26-2012, 01:47 AM
The final lap of the 2012 F1 season...
came behind the safety car.

Need we say more? :D

TedTheewen
11-26-2012, 02:16 AM
I like how Vettel said in the post-race interview about the party that night that, "It's Red Bull, they exactly what to do."

The tire issue once again became important.

And how about Force India? Who knew they'd look that good this year? Sure, they've made improvements, but I figured it would take more time for them to look as well as they did.

KellyAssauer
11-26-2012, 04:49 AM
Now where am I going to watch the final race tomorrow? We can't get it in the temporary housing we've got here. And the sports bars don't open until 11am. Thanks going to be pushing it.

Just think, next year (2013 thru 2017) US coverage of the F1 races will be on NBC* (4 races) and NBC Sports Channel (all the rest) so if you don't currently get NBCSC... you'll be out of luck. (NBC Sports channel is what used to be Versus, which used to be OLN: Outdoor Living Network)

*Reason for the change: Fox - who owns Speed recently got a huge contract for baseball, and the Speed Channel as we know it today may soon be gone as Fox tries to compete with ESPN...

I don't like it, but the way Speed had been slowly turning into the Nascar channel and ignoring all the other world-wide motorsports... maybe I don't mind so much... we'll see.

TedTheewen
11-26-2012, 05:16 AM
As the popularity of F1 grows, the races will become more of a hot item. I get all of those channels, so I'm not worried. I do hope they keep the same announcers, though.

And yeah, Speed has way too much NASCAR, but once the season is over it'll have some decent stuff to watch. I think their attitude right now is, "we'll show NASCAR in the day and everything else at night. If those folks want to see anything other than NASCAR, they can record it on their DVR."

DreamWeaver
11-26-2012, 06:02 PM
Just think, next year (2013 thru 2017) US coverage of the F1 races will be on NBC* (4 races) and NBC Sports Channel (all the rest) so if you don't currently get NBCSC... you'll be out of luck. (NBC Sports channel is what used to be Versus, which used to be OLN: Outdoor Living Network)Besides F1, I am also a huge Tour de France fan. When Versus was bought out by NBC I was very worried about the TdF coverage. But NBC/NBCSports has done at least as well and probably a bit better covering the TdF. Plus, they've significantly improved the channel's coverage of other cycling events. So, I have pretty good hopes for their F1 coverage.

Side Note: I've passed by many sweet satellite TV deals because they didn't carry OLN/Versus/NBCSports, or it was just available in their highest-cost packages. I only watched it one month a year, but I watched it all month (July: all Tdf all the time :D ). Now with F1 I'm especially glad I made sure I subscribe to a service that carries NBCSports.

DreamWeaver
11-26-2012, 06:05 PM
The final lap of the 2012 F1 season...
came behind the safety car.

Need we say more? :DOn the last few laps I think I could actually hear the entire Ferrari crew wishing, "Please let the McLaren break down. Please let the McLaren break down. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GOD MAKE THE MCLAREN BREAK DOWN NOW!!!!!!" :tongue

KellyAssauer
11-26-2012, 06:33 PM
On the last few laps I think I could actually hear the entire Ferrari crew wishing, "Please let the McLaren break down. Please let the McLaren break down. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GOD MAKE THE MCLAREN BREAK DOWN NOW!!!!!!" :tongue

That was me... I'll try to be quieter next time. ;)
*pretty sure the entire neighborhood heard me jump, yell and clap when Sebastian got spun about...

Thank goodness it wasn't Felipe losing again at Brazil.
I haven't recovered from the last time. =(

As for OLN/Versus/NbcSports, I too watch TdF and the cycling so I'm hopeful (crosses fingers) that NBC will do F1 right. Speed's Bob Varsha may be the only commentator that can't make the move to NBC since he's under contract to Fox.

It was an exceptional season, lots of fun!
(at least 8 different first place drivers!)

And yet I'd still like to see: a Senna on the podium (in a Williams Renault?) and Mark or Felipe getting the championship they both deserve...

DreamWeaver
11-26-2012, 06:46 PM
That was me... I'll try to be quieter next time. ;)
:roll:

Perks
11-26-2012, 09:42 PM
And yet I'd still like to see: a Senna on the podium (in a Williams Renault?) Senna? He's so... so... terrible. A rolling speedbump. Lol! I can't stand Senna.

TedTheewen
11-26-2012, 10:19 PM
I like Red Bull and I like Vettel. Something about those German drivers--even the women (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc).

DreamWeaver
11-27-2012, 03:55 AM
I like Vettel and I like Red Bull. I like Alonso a lot, and I like Ferrari. But I can't seem to get past the idea that rooting for Ferrari is like rooting for the Yankees.

Just. Can't. Do. It.
:D

ETA: I also like McLaren and both Button and Hamilton, so I was going to be pretty happy no matter how Brazil ended ;).

DreamWeaver
11-27-2012, 03:59 AM
I like Red Bull and I like Vettel. Something about those German drivers--even the women (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc).Amazing clip. Though my favorite Top Gear clip will *always* be the VW Beetle beating the 911 in a one-mile drag race :D.

Perks
11-27-2012, 04:35 AM
Button and Rosberg are my favorites, but the reasons range from reasonable to the prognostications of my Magic 8 Ball.

TedTheewen
11-27-2012, 05:42 AM
I used to have a crush on Sabine, but then I got over it.

blacbird
11-27-2012, 06:31 AM
I have a real complete honest true bag-full-of-hammers stupid question about this sport:

Is there a Formula Two?

caw

KellyAssauer
11-27-2012, 06:38 AM
Formula 1 has a 'minor league' that many drivers 'graduate' from, it's called GP2 (http://www.gp2series.com/).

TedTheewen
11-27-2012, 07:54 AM
There are some very cool vids on youtube about the mechanics and design of various F1 cars. This one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Wn1EFLa2C8) is a favorite of mine.

Perks
11-28-2012, 12:43 AM
Things have been kind of crazy here since we got back and I haven't gotten the pictures off the camera, but here's me n' mine at Turn 1 at Circuit of the Americas.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s40/Perks_album/Untitled-47.jpg

TedTheewen
11-28-2012, 08:53 AM
I see that tower in the background. They talked a lot about that on Speed and said that a number of other tracks now want one. Was the noise level decent where you were at? Being at a race is only good if you can smell the exhaust and feel the rumble in your tummy.

Nakhlasmoke
11-28-2012, 10:45 AM
...there was an F1 thread this whole time and I didn't know.

:(

It's because I never willingly go into any forum that has the words sport, health, or fitness in the title.

KellyAssauer
11-28-2012, 04:13 PM
...there was an F1 thread this whole time and I didn't know.

:(

It's because I never willingly go into any forum that has the words sport, health, or fitness in the title.

:ROFL:

It's okay Nakhlas: we all drove here!
and I'm sure we'll still hang here until Australia in 2013 ;)

jvc
11-28-2012, 04:41 PM
The last race was one of the best I've ever watched. Shame Hamilton was taken out, though. Can't wait until the new season starts, it's too long away.

We should take predictions on who will be champion next year and who will be contenders.

Perks
11-28-2012, 05:48 PM
I see that tower in the background. They talked a lot about that on Speed and said that a number of other tracks now want one. Was the noise level decent where you were at? Being at a race is only good if you can smell the exhaust and feel the rumble in your tummy.

We watched Qualifying from under a bridge (the sun was brutal on Saturday) and you couldn't enjoy the cars without ear protection. From where we were on Sunday, halfway between the pit exit and Turn 1, they sounded great, and you could get by without earplugs.

I did make the mistake of taking out my earplugs on Friday when I was in the concessions area under the grandstand across from pit lane and feel that I could have permanently damaged my hearing if I hadn't shoved them back in immediately. That was very painful, like Dracula with daylight except with noise.

The tower looked cool and they lit it up at night, but you had to pay $35 to go up top for 10 minutes. People are gullible.

TedTheewen
11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I almost went deaf one time because I thought it was a good idea to shoot my .44 mag without ear protection. I've done dumber things, but not many.

I love how in some of the fan videos posted on youtube you can hear the exhaust noise when they downshift. That's a cool sound.

Different race cars make different sounds and have different vibrations. I used to work at a dirt track where stock cars raced. Late Model classes and on down. Some of the 4-cylinder cars were loud but the B-Mod class had the rumble-factor you felt in your guts. You could hear those races up to 10 miles away on Saturday night.

Perks
11-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I love how in some of the fan videos posted on youtube you can hear the exhaust noise when they downshift. That's a cool sound.

Yeah, I don't know why that pop-pop-pop does not come through on television. That was wild.

TedTheewen
11-28-2012, 11:58 PM
I know the lads on Top Gear bitch and whine about the flappy paddle gear shifters but I want a car with those so I can downshift and make those noises.

When I win the lottery, I'm gonna get a nice Italian sports car, and a lady from AW and I are gonna cruise all over. Shopping, of course. That's part of the deal. I'm thinking this car (http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/make/alfa-romeo/flippers/2013-alfa-romeo-4c/2873627-8-eng-US/2013-alfa-romeo-4c.jpg) would do nicely.

DreamWeaver
11-29-2012, 05:38 AM
Oooh shiny :D.

TedTheewen
11-29-2012, 07:11 AM
I've had two women tell me they'd um...well, if I had that car I'd have a great time.

DreamWeaver
11-29-2012, 07:38 AM
Of course, you could end up like the guy I passed while walking the dog. He was standing sourly by, arms crossed, while the Ferrari technician winched his bright red so pretty baby (ooh shiny) into the Ferrari dealership transporter. He offered to let me buy it for repair costs. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford even that ;).

TedTheewen
11-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Damn, that's still a cool car to have.

DreamWeaver
11-29-2012, 08:20 AM
What's even cooler is where he lives...a sprawling waterfront estate that Nigel Mansell used to own. (I don't live in that neighborhood, but it is close enough to walk the dog there :D).

TedTheewen
11-29-2012, 09:45 AM
I'll bet that area is full of very hot women, too. Nice.

onesecondglance
11-29-2012, 01:11 PM
We should take predictions on who will be champion next year and who will be contenders.

Who I want to win and who I think will win are two different things...

TedTheewen
11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
I can't wait to see the cars revealed for 2013. But that won't happen for another few months. Until then, I wait.

DreamWeaver
11-30-2012, 04:02 AM
Wonder if that lady in Japan will update her kid's near-full-scale cardboard RB8? That was one amazing project!

http://idrivetoofast.blogspot.com/2012/02/mom-builds-4-year-old-spot-on-replica.html

DreamWeaver
11-30-2012, 04:10 AM
I'll bet that area is full of very hot women, too. Nice.You might think that, but actually, no. It's an old established family neighborhood, well away from any kind of tourist activity.

I don't know how he got it past the neighborhood beautification committee*, but Mansell blocked up all the wrought iron gates and decorative wall openings with painted metal sheets so one can no longer see the house, grounds, or the water beyond. This ruining of what used to be a lovely view is why I habitually refer to him in conversation as "that a**hole Nigel Mansell".

*No, I do. The kind of money F1 champions make would easily turn the heads of lesser neighborhood committees, and these are only doctors, lawyers, upper echelon executives, and pro wrestlers :D.

onesecondglance
11-30-2012, 01:14 PM
I did something pretty cool on Wednesday. I went for a tour around the McLaren Technology Centre. Also met the Heads of Car Design and Engineering.

SUCH an amazing place. Beyond words.

Perks
11-30-2012, 05:52 PM
That is cool!

KellyAssauer
11-30-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm not a model builder, but I know a few, so I had to check out the Mclaren F1 monthly installment model of Hamilton's 2012 car.

Whoa, too rich for my blood at 99 bucks a month for a year... or one easy payment of 1200.. yikes! But if anyone here is looking for a way pricey F1 gift... the US site is here (http://www.model-space.com/us/motors/mclaren/details/).

TedTheewen
11-30-2012, 09:55 PM
I don't get it--why make something like that so expensive? Wouldn't they sell more if they were affordable? Or do they realize collectors will pay the money and ignore the price? Either way, wow!

onesecondglance
12-03-2012, 01:40 PM
Prelim entry list for 2013:

http://www.fia.com/sites/default/files/news/files/2013%20FIA%20Formula%20One%20World%20Championship% 20Entry%20List%2030.11.2012.pdf

Interesting things:
- Grosjean not yet confirmed for Lotus (although I think it's only a matter of time)
- confirmation Pastonado is staying at Williams
- no drivers listed for Force India and Sauber, despite reports of various people being confirmed
- Nico Rosberg gets car number 9, and Lewis Hamilton only gets car number 10! I can see squabbles over who's the number one driver there...

DreamWeaver
04-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Great that you got to meet Vettel! Check out the F1 2013 thread here for current discussions:
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263866