The 238. Did anyone see this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
238 writers received a mass rejection from a very well-known literary agency. Yes, we all received the same rejection at the same time with a list of all our email addresses included.

The bc function was confused with the cc?

(I used to know this. I was a teacher and often mass-mailed parents, but was always careful NOT to send the parents everyone's email address.)

Anyhow, several writers who are among the 238 are blogging and twittering, etc. about the phenomenon.

However, I did not query this agent, yet I am on the list.

Mysteries. I write them. I live them sometimes, too. :D

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
This is funny.

I have even been rejected by a company that I have never sent anything to. :D When I asked them about it....they said sorry. I wonder how the world they even got my addy.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
CC and BCC aside, who addresses an email: Dear 1 of 238 Authors I have to mail a standard reply to

I would say somebody who hit the send button by accident when they were still drafting a reply :tongue but I gather from reading the blog posts that the email you quoted was actually a parody response from one of the 238 rejectees, ending "I wish you success in finding representation as I know you will wish me success in learning how to use the bcc function in my e-mail." (I laughed.)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. And that's an agency I'd love to be repped by... Weird. But still funny, especially since you didn't query.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
The latest, we got an email from a print mag wanting to do a little article on us, including a brief bio of all 238 (or those who want to be included.)

I got to make sure the email and magazine offer are legit, first.

I also collaborated on a story with some of the 238. My piece is already done.

Craziness.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
This is made of awesome. Far better than the time I printed and bound some woodcut versions of Nigerian Spam emails, and sold them as artist's books for $6 each.

Far beyond making lemonade or hay out of this, the 238 can turn it into *gold*.

Cheers!

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I have a query pending with them. Fingers crossed this means they're considering my query seriously.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't the same agency the vehicle of choice for a similar scam last year? (The scam was NOT on the agency's part, btw - someone hijacked their names.)

The person would trawl Amazon, email an author with a self-pubbed book saying "Hey, I saw your book and it's great - want an agent?" Then when the author said, "sure" the fake representative of this agency would make a lightning fast "significant sale," leading the unsuspecting writer to believe they'd make some serious cash. In one case, it came complete with an itinerary for public appearances that didn't exist. :(

The agent whose name was being used had a client who saw one of the happy announcements and checked into, then took the unhappy responsibility from telling the author the whole thing was a massively sick joke.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
IIRC, the cruel joke last year was using an e-mail address with the agent's name, but not actually through the agency

DLacy

Through dangers untold...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donellelacy.com
One of the 238 Here - Donelle from my blog http://dverted.blogspot.com

I wondered if it was a fake email I got when I read the "Dear 1 of the 238..." but I'm pretty sure it wasn't. They all had the same assistant's email addy at the top under 'from' with the same font she'd used the first time she tried to email.

I'd be all for an article or some kind of collaboration about this incident, since it's just too GOOD (or bad) to go unnoticed. But I feel pretty bad for this lady. I'm wondering if she has a job anymore!

MttStrn

Action is my reward..that and bacon
Registered
Reaction score
I pretty sure the email that starts with "Dear 1 of 238..." was a from one of the 238. He has a GMail account not a Writer's House account and was on the list of the original 238.

That said I also originally thought it was an email from WH as well until the rest started coming.

Overall it's been a fun day. I have my phone set to play a specific tone every time anything comes through my writing account and this is the first time I was hoping it wasn't a response to a query but more replies to the email.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I pretty sure the email that starts with "Dear 1 of 238..." was a from one of the 238. He has a GMail account not a Writer's House account and was on the list of the original 238.
Ha - I bet the owner of THAT gmail account won't get published for a very long time!

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
This has been the most fun rejection ever! I had already written off the query as a no since it was four months ago.

I never got an apology from them though - I received the first one with everyone's addresses, then a retraction email where they tried to recall the message, then another one the same as the first but with the addresses BCCed. Then the parodies from the 238! Sadly my ISP won't let me email that many people at once in case I'm a spammer, but the FB group will suffice. Fun day was had by most.

Status
Not open for further replies.