"But this really happened!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Stop me if you've heard this one before.

A writer is showing you a draft that has an improbable situation in it, that makes no sense in the context of the story, and does not seem to add anything useful to the narrative. There isn't even much of a buildup to it; it just happens.

You ask the writer why it is there, or comment that it needs to be changed; either fix it so that there is a buildup to it that explains its significance to the conflict that is being established by the plot, or get rid of it because it is distracting the reader from everything else in the story that does this (or that could be doing this once it gets fixed, but that's a side issue).

The writer pleads to you: "but… this really happened!" This asserts that the passage cannot be changed because the writer wants to express something that is true to life, wants to have a certain cathartic release, or thinks that the incident was so pivotal in his or her life that it must be laid bare for all to see.

Here's the thing.

One's own personal experience is not all that special. If that was the only thing that mattered in life, we would not value such things as education, professional certification, or research effort. We'd give PhDs to people for just being past a certain age, since after all, experience would matter just as much as any other form of knowledge. There is nothing bad about having experience, but generalizing from it is often a weak induction at best and a wild guess at worst. As far as writing is concerned, there is a very good chance that the readers (or the slush readers, acquisitions editors, and agents who the writer is courting) will have experiences that diverge from the writers, will not be able to relate to the passage in question, and in consequence be underwhelmed by it. I will risk making a monstrous generalization by saying that one's goal should be to not underwhelm any readers.

Here is the other thing about experience: there is a good chance that it didn't happen the way you remembered it. How many times has someone told you a story, even in conversation, about something that you were there for yourself; and you recalled details that contradicted much of what you heard from this person? How many times have you had a "remember when?" conversation that was interrupted by your friends calling BS on you, even though you believed that what you said really happened? There is nothing wrong with embellishing, changing, or outright falsifying the nature of an actual event for the purpose of making interesting fiction. That's a fiction writer's job, for crying out loud! All this is to say, then, that there is no reason to render a "real" recalled incident exactly as it is remembered because there is a good chance that it didn't happen that way anyway.

The readers are the center of the equation, not the writer. What might have been fascinating, compelling, or life-changing in a profound way to the writer can be mundane to the person reading it. Everybody's gone to school, fallen in love, met some eccentric person, or experienced a situation that left them flabbergasted at least once in their lives. Writing about the same thing as you recall it having happened to you is not enough; chances are that somebody reading it will have experienced something similar, yet more vivid and think "so what?" You still need to work it into the plot so that it reflects the conflict and theme and to write about it in a way that makes it interesting to the readers. Otherwise, nobody will care if it really happened to you.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Stop! :) But this really happened before.

Too true for words. All of it.

Jonathan Dalar

Science fiction, horror and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jonathandalar.blogspot.com
“All this happened, more or less.”

Slaughterhouse-Five, Kurt Vonnegut

HINT: It's the "more or less" part that's the important part. Nobody gives a shit if something really really happened in a work of fiction. It's the story that's important.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
werdpressed.wordpress.com
There's more to conveying an event truthfully that just describing word for word what happened...I'm pretty sure Kurt Vonnegut said that as well. Getting across the sensations and experiences of an event matter more than a "truthful" description of the event.

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
LOL! Yep, I imagine that happens all the time. It happened to me. Sadly, I was the writer, but something good came of it.

I wrote a short story based on something that happened in real life, not to me. Just a story I had heard about that stuck with me. My writing buddy said, it was good emotional, BUT too predictable, and too unrealistic.

My first thought was, "but this really happened!" LOL! My second thought was "Crap! You mean I just wrote a 'Chicken Soup for the Soul' story?" No offense intended to CSSS. Finally, I realized the story would not work if the reader didn't believe it.

I went back and completely changed the ending. My story is much stronger for it.

So yeah, the moral of the story is truth IS stranger than fiction. Accept it, and write fiction, LOL!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. Well, some writers are interested in learning, some already know everything. What if you gave him/her the name of a nice vanity press next time s/he asks for a beta read?

geagar

W/O Adult Supervision
Registered
Reaction score
Website
granteagar.blogspot.com
I can relate, I am definitly guilty. I put some awkward dialogue in a short story, but left it in becuase, it really happened.

The irony is that a story has to be believeable and sometimes what happens in real life isn't believable.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Fiction never needs to be anything that really happened. Otherwise, it'd be memoir.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
"No. No. I can't take it out. Nononononono. Can't take it out."

"Umm... why?"

"Because it really happened."

*punch in the face*

"Ow. Ow. My nose. Owowowow. My nose. Why did you do that? That made no sense. Ow."

"That punch really happened."

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I'm confused. If someone is writing fiction, why would there even be an occasion to make a statement that something really happened when it came to something in the story? It's fiction. Even if a story is inspired by true events, it's still fiction.

Maybe you can elaborate a bit on where you are coming from. :)

goldmund

---
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blazedzikowski.wordpress.com
The things that also really happened were that the protagonist got up in the morning, looked in the mirror, yawned, scratched his genitals, went to the bathroom, etc.

A fact does not make a truth.

Werner Herzog speaks of something he calls "ecstatic truth." Most of his documentaries contain scenes he invented only to illuminate the matter.

The role of an artist, I believe, is to be something like a filter and a prism, even in non-fiction.

Ketzel

Leaving on the 2:19
Registered
Reaction score
I think one gets the "it really happened that way!!!" defense when criticizing something for being too coincidental, or too random, or too extreme for the situation. IOW, the editor is telling the writer that the material is not true to life, and the writer responds, "No, you're wrong, because it really happened that way." But the "life" the work has to be true to is the life of the story, and the experience of the reader, not the life of the writer. It may be true that in your life you went off one day for a job interview and came face to face in the elevator with a twin brother whose existence you knew nothing about. But generally speaking, a coincidence like that is so completely unlikely to happen that one cannot expect a reader of fiction to accept it as a plot device.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Funny how often this comes up in books I'm editing.

Writer :"But this really happened!!!!"

Me:"Well, if this really happened then the failure here is not in the event, but in the retelling of the event. That means the fault lies with YOU, and not the event itself."

Funny how often that 'really happened' scene dies after that. It's either removed or reworked so completely that it doesn't seem like the same event. And either way, regardless, the change to the scene is made. Because if I, an editor who has invested time and resources to a manuscript I've purchased for publication, can't buy into the scene then a reader is unlikely to connect with it either.

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
It's taking "write what you know" too literally. It helps to base novels/novellas on events or places you've experienced, but it can be limiting to the story. Don't be too literal in literature. :p

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
The writer pleads to you: "but… this really happened!" This asserts that the passage cannot be changed because the writer wants to express something that is true to life, wants to have a certain cathartic release, or thinks that the incident was so pivotal in his or her life that it must be laid bare for all to see.
The story has to be credible to the reader, whether the events in it are real or otherwise.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
There's a reason why, if a story starts to drift near events which occurred to me in real life, I sternly push it off in another direction

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Well, I would think a writer of fiction would not make a statement about something really happening a certain way, but would give the reasons why a particular event written as is fits the story line. If it was memoir or other non-fiction, I could see the logic.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
When I write something based on something unbelievable that actually happened, I embellish it past the point of disbelief and all limits of craziness until it circles around back to that perfect, surreal just-fucked-up-enough-to-accept place in which my fiction resides.

Reaction score
sometimes what happens in real life isn't believable.

I think this hit the nail on the head and summed up my OP in 8 words. :)

There is an anecdote about a rare appearance by Humphry Bogart in a made for TV movie, in which the director insisted on using the sound of a real gun, rather than sound effects. The critics praised Bogart's performance, but made specific mention of the "anemic cap pistol" sound that they used. I guess it goes for fiction, too.

Reaction score
I'm confused. If someone is writing fiction, why would there even be an occasion to make a statement that something really happened

This pops up every now and then with some writers who, for lack of a better term, don't "get it." What is sort of tragic is that they might have been inspired to write by their own experiences in the first place. When you tell them that the thing that "really happened" is useless in the story, you are attacking their life, and it wounds them to the core.

Whatever it is, they put something that really happened to them into a story in a way that just doesn't fit. Metaphorically, they are building a wall out of Legos and they used a Tinker Toy to fill in a gap. That thing that "really happened" is the Tinker Toy.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Real, personal experience can be special, and certainly can be worth writing about accurately. If not, then nothing, not fiction or anything else, would be believable, or worth writing about. Nor would much nonfiction have any value.

There's certainly nothing wrong with embellishing personal experience for fiction, but just because friends yell BS does not mean you're wrong and they're right, and certainly does not mean that we all remember things in a way that didn't happen.

Personal experience is not only valuable, it's often the basis for the best fiction, and every good writer uses personal experience, if not for the major events, then absolutely for the minor ones, for relationships, for the emotion.

The problem is in how well, or how poorly, a writer gets personal experience down on paper, not on the fact that he's using personal experience as accurately as possible.

This is often more a case of "My life isn't special, and my personal experience is slight, so your life isn't special, either. My friends yell BS when I relate something, so yours do, too."

Don't blame the personal experience, blame the way the writer put it down on paper. Sometimes, with many people, many writers, no embellishment is required.

The problem is not writing something that really happened, and writing about it exactly as it did happen. Doing so is a good thing. The problem is not being able to write well enough to make people believe it.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
This pops up every now and then with some writers who, for lack of a better term, don't "get it." What is sort of tragic is that they might have been inspired to write by their own experiences in the first place. When you tell them that the thing that "really happened" is useless in the story, you are attacking their life, and it wounds them to the core.

Whatever it is, they put something that really happened to them into a story in a way that just doesn't fit. Metaphorically, they are building a wall out of Legos and they used a Tinker Toy to fill in a gap. That thing that "really happened" is the Tinker Toy.

Writing your by own experience is not tragic, or useless, or any such thing. Personal experience makes great stories if written well enough to come across as fiction.

It seems to me there is a lot of generalization in your statements, such as the bold parts above. If you work for a magazine or publishing house, I would question how often this type of thing really happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.