PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!

tay
12-23-2005, 10:54 AM
Greetings.

I have always wanted to write a book but have never actually started due to lack of determination to sit down and really write.

Now that I've put up my mind to do it, I realised that I do not have the necessary information for me to start.

The American High School scene has caught my attention and I intend to write a teenage (romance) fictional story with the high school as setting of the story.

However, despite watching many related films and reading countless related stories, I do not understand the whole concept behind the American High School System as I live in Singapore (my whole life) where the education system is pretty similar to that of the British.

Thus, I need someone who knows the High School system well, preferably someone who is American and has attended/ is attending high school, to help me with my doubts and questions.

If you can help, PM me or email me: tee.eh.why@hotmail.com

regards, tay

veinglory
12-23-2005, 09:48 PM
I am not American either but I am curious s to why you would make things difficult for yourself in this way. If you want to appeal to Us readers why not have a kid whose parents move to Singapore and set the story in an environment that you know? There are so many nuances not only to how shcools work, but how kids act and relate in each country and decade that it would be very difficult to make up from scratch.

katiemac
12-23-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi Tay,

There are a lot of people who will be able to help you with getting information on American high schools if that's what you wish you write. I myself went through the system, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me (katiemac).

If you've seen any American television shows in a high school setting (the OC, Dawson's Creek, etc) the portrayal will be close, but not exactly true. Keep in mind that the location of the school, say, Orange County or New York City or New England, may have significant changes based on the diversity of students who attend. Also, a private or public school will make a difference as well.

Again, let me know the questions you're having. For the time being, I'm going to move this thread to the Story Research board, and hopefully you will have more responses.

ideagirl
01-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I second what Veinglory said. If you've never written a book before, don't add to your difficulties by trying to write about something you know nothing about. Write your high school romance in a Singaporean high school. Start with what you know. Then, when you have learned to WRITE, you may be able to expand into writing about things that require research.

reni
01-12-2006, 02:17 AM
Hi there. I'd be able to answer questions about the American high school system from a small-town perspective. Feel free to contact me and I'll help out as much as I can.