• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What to do in this situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
I attempted to work on some of my WIPs but the words wouldn't come. I hated everything I put down. It felt like I had to force the words out. Iam thinking iam having a hard time because i am tired from traveling.(I got in really late last night)

I feel unproductive but I journaled hoping that would help. What do you do in situations like this?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'd definitely take a break from it. Spend a night watching a movie or read a really good book. Give your brain a chance to refresh.

Guilmond

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Journaling is always a good idea, no matter what form it takes.

I'd say don't "strain". Sometimes, I find freedom in simply jotting down lines or even free associating words which can inspire me to create "form"

goldhorse

Oooh look at the pretty pony!
Registered
Reaction score
Don't force it. That just leaves you frustrated. Journaling is a good idea. If I get stuck, I'll switch to something else (which usually includes housework but that's beside the point). If you're out of ideas, try reading a new book or one of your old favorites. The ideas will come back. Just rest and recharge for now and worry about it later.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
As others have suggested, a break is a good idea.

But let's say you want to continue.
I hated everything I put down
I've found that the times my words feel repulsive, as they come out, coincide with those where my inner monologue--the actual voice I "hear" in my imagination whenever I read or write--is awkward and icky. I willfully change it to something, someone, I like--play around with that voice for a couple minutes until it's mine. It always works.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Ditto what the others said. Try working on something else. Maybe a writing exercise. Try looking at a snapshot and describing what you see in the picture. I tried this when I was stuck. It worked beautifully. It was an old family picture -- it actually brought up strong emotions since two of the family are no longer around. I spent a couple of days working on it. Next thing I knew, I was on a roll again and started working on the next book. (Which I finished!)

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I attempted to work on some of my WIPs but the words wouldn't come. I hated everything I put down. It felt like I had to force the words out. Iam thinking iam having a hard time because i am tired from traveling.(I got in really late last night)

Rest. Sleep. Travel is more tiring than we think, even if we're just sitting most of the time.

Some folks have used a half or full bottle of 5 Hour Energy. I use it when driving, but it gives me alertness without the shakes I get from straight caffeine. But I've heard reports of people using it for writing, study, etc.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I have to be contrary. I force it, based on my master plan, even when the words aren't coming easily and the result is what's currently labeled a 'hot mess.'

I do this because for me, avoiding the hard parts can end in a manuscript that's never completed. Getting something down, even something I know sucks as I write it, produces something which can be edited or rewritten, and which allows me to proceed to the next part, which is easier.

Maryn, Maryn, quite contrar-yn

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sleep.

Tiredness usually means one will be unproductive in whatever one is doing.

celticroots

Registered
Reaction score
Iam going to take a break from writing for a while. Maryn your comment was helpful and I'll remember it when I sit down to write again. Right now I'm going to relax and curl up with a good book.

P.S I did some free writing earlier and that helped.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
I have scheduled breaks each year, scheduled time for vacation. These scheduled breaks are when I let the well refill.

If something unexpected comes up, I write anyway, even when traveling. Writing is a habit, and one I don't want to break by not writing because I'm tired, sick, or whatever.

LongWave

Registered
Reaction score

I feel unproductive but I journaled hoping that would help. What do you do in situations like this?

When I have set time aside for writing, and I simply don't feel it, I will usually go over my outline and think of other things that my characters would do outside of the main story. I think up things that I would never include in my WIP. Sometimes it gives the characters a bigger scope and makes it easier for me to get into their heads.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
werdpressed.wordpress.com
Just write some trash, no-one will judge you :). It's impossible to loose a knack for writing in the long term, so don't worry about it.

Morven

Child of Darkness
Registered
Reaction score
I'd say that a writer's subjective feeling about what they've just written often bears little resemblance to what anyone else will think of it. Especially negative emotions. What they mean is: you're tired. You're down, on yourself and in general.

On the plus side, you wrote something. Don't force any more out on that project if you're not feeling it, but continue writing something else if you can (journaling is certainly way better than quitting), and come back to it fresh tomorrow.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Read a book. That why you can feel like you're doing the research to make your writing better when you actually get around to it. And sometimes books give you really good ideas too.

Jold

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes those words that looked like trash when you were in a bad place end up looking much better in the morning light. And sometimes they still look like trash, but you find something interesting buried in their midst.

When I'm in a similar situation, I usually try to keep going at least a little but tell myself that I don't have to be perfect. I have lots more time to revise and improve.

mhjess

Registered
Reaction score
I say take a break and distance yourself for a while. I've found that when I'm in that situation, usually if I put it away for a few days and come back to it, I'll find what I've written really isn't as bad as I thought it was and that there's something salvageable in it, so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

DTHunter123

Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm new here, so can't offer up much. But, when I write I don't care to much about how it looks, I just try to get it out of my mind. Then I can enjoy other things.

I do find that I surprise myself with what I have written sometimes.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com

Reverse psychology on my writing ass. lol. I do most of my thinking away from the computer, so I turn my laptop off and walk away. I usually get the itch and get dragged back pretty quickly.

Itchy writing ass... hmmmm, maybe not the best of images to use....

Status
Not open for further replies.