contemporary elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
In reading literary journals, I have noticed a lot of references to things or people that make a story feel very contemporary. Like the author will mention a beer or an actress by name. I have seen brand name dropping here and there. Do you guys do this stuff to make your writing more contemporary? How do you think these elements add to the story?

I am making an effort to mimic this style, but sometimes it feels a little strange or forced. Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
I'll name drop some things, but it's more to set the time period and setting. For example, in one of my pieces, the MC mentions a college job where he checked computer printouts against batch cards. That sets his age and the time period. In another, one MC sits down with a Heineken. That sets his tastes to a degree. If he chose Bud or Bud Light, that would mean something else. The downside might be to date the piece some, so you have to be careful.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I wrote a story set in the 50s. I used Coca-Cola instead of Coke to reinforce the time period. Stuff like that. I wouldn't go overboard. And like lbender said, brands help describe a character, their preferences, etc.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
If it says something about the character or situation etc, sure. Details are always good, and sometimes that includes brands or favourite actors or whatever. I did the same in my recent novel set in the 20s-- they refer to contemporary actors and books and stuff like that on occasion. It's good for grounding the story in the 'real world', whenever or wherever that is.

LillyPu

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If it says something about the character or situation etc, sure. Details are always good, and sometimes that includes brands or favourite actors or whatever. I did the same in my recent novel set in the 20s-- they refer to contemporary actors and books and stuff like that on occasion. It's good for grounding the story in the 'real world', whenever or wherever that is.
And as a reader, I like coming across a detail like that every once in a while--the instant identification. I guess a tricky thing for the writer would be choosing something the reader doesn't hate, a particular brand. :)

randi.lee

Certified Non-Genius
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rlwrites.com
Agree with using brands and specifics to set a time period. I do it all the time- have teenagers texting and drinking Mountain Dew or Rockstars, have families eating at Applebee's, etc.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
In reading literary journals, I have noticed a lot of references to things or people that make a story feel very contemporary. Like the author will mention a beer or an actress by name. I have seen brand name dropping here and there. Do you guys do this stuff to make your writing more contemporary? How do you think these elements add to the story?

I am making an effort to mimic this style, but sometimes it feels a little strange or forced. Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

Uh...I think the only thing I've contempo-dropped in my most recent book was specifying that one character drives a hybrid vehicle.

In the next book I want to make it really clear that it's set in late 2008, so I will probably add more stuff in like that to solidify the feel of the setting. But yeah, I can see what you mean about it feeling forced. If it doesn't feel right in your narrative, leave it out, no matter what kind of style you're aiming for. There are other ways to approximate a style without writing things you just don't feel good about.

BTFC

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this lately on my WIP. I recently realized I mention brand names, song names, actual places and products a lot. I've been mixing in some made up brands with real brands too.

I don't do it to establish a time setting necessarily, although I guess it does that, but it seems like a story set in a lifestyle many people live these days would have to go to great lengths not to mention brands. I never say to co-workers, "Let's go to generic coffee shop." Rather, I would say, "Want to go to Starbucks?" I mean, we all mention brand names in conversation countless times a day whether it's TV show names or store names or our iPhones or whatever.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Late in life, Ernest Hemingway said that if he were to rewrite much of his earlier stuff, he would take out all contemporary references. He felt that such references locked his stories into a time period, detracting from what might be their more universal meaning.

Of course, we don't have to agree with Ernest, but his view is worth considering. Especially with lighter stuff, I have sometimes become irritated with a book written 25 years ago, in which the writer kept telling me that the characters were going to see On Golden Pond or listening to "Karma Chameleon" or watching The 100,000 Pyramid.

On the other hand, I can see pluses in using contemporary references. And some older works--especially much older ones--benefit greatly from details of everyday life with which we might not be familiar.

I'm not making an argument here, just thinking about options. :e2seesaw:

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
I know I'm dredging up an old thread here, but I hate it when I can't date a work. I feel like I need to know when it took place. Maybe brands aren't the end-all here. One could mention well-known events to give a contemporary feel.

CaseyMack

Write more; worry less!
Registered
Reaction score
Late in life, Ernest Hemingway said that if he were to rewrite much of his earlier stuff, he would take out all contemporary references. He felt that such references locked his stories into a time period, detracting from what might be their more universal meaning.

Of course, we don't have to agree with Ernest, but his view is worth considering. Especially with lighter stuff, I have sometimes become irritated with a book written 25 years ago, in which the writer kept telling me that the characters were going to see On Golden Pond or listening to "Karma Chameleon" or watching The 100,000 Pyramid.

This raises a related issue: titles.

The best example: 1984. The premise of the book is certainly not dated in any way. However, if a younger person looks at the title, I wonder whether they would assume it is some story about events thirty years ago, and dismiss it out of hand. That would be a shame.

Of course, this is true for movies too: 2001 for example. (Another work of art that would be a pity to dismiss out of hand if one was hung up on the year reference in its title.)

Deizelcore

This is not a user title
Registered
Reaction score

Don't do it if it feels forced, if it doesn't - go on ahead and name drop. As as reader, I find it easier to suspend by disbelief when writers drop brand names and whatnot in their works. Name dropping helps readers relate to the story better, because they and the characters see the same things around them.

Status
Not open for further replies.