PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Beta Reader, MG Dark Fantasy 36000 words

Shoeless
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
Hi all,

I've stepped out of my usual adult fantasy/SF comfort zone and tried writing an MG novel along the lines of The Thief of Always or Coraline. I'd be very grateful if someone with experience in the MG area would take a look at the completed MS and give me a reading on how its working as an MS general, in addition to my consistency in keeping the language and sentence structure appropriate to the targeted age group. I've already put a portion of the first chapter up in the SYW MG forum so you can take a look if you're curious.

Opening chapter HERE. (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=240565)

If anyone would be willing to give it a look, feel free to respond to this thread or send a PM. And thank you very much for your time.

MelodySRV
03-21-2012, 10:10 PM
What exactly is an MG novel? Pardon my ignorance.

Shoeless
03-21-2012, 10:59 PM
MG stands for Middle Grade, usually thought of as the reader age range of 8-12, though that's kind of a sliding border depending on who you ask.

MelodySRV
03-22-2012, 02:35 AM
I'd be willing to take a look at it. I don' have experience with MG novels, except with what I've read personally.

What kind of feedback would you like? How thorough would you like me to be? I'm happy to offer whatever you need.

Shoeless
03-22-2012, 03:28 AM
Aside from the usual style and structure feedback, I'm mostly concerned with whether or not the tone is appropriate for the age. Like I said, normally my sphere of writing is adult fantasy/SF stuff, so this is a bit of a departure for me. Thoroughness mixed with honest diplomacy is my preferred route.

Thanks for the offer, Melody, it's greatly appreciated. If you're still interested you, can PM me your e-mail address and I can send off the MS.

5398cane
03-22-2012, 06:28 AM
PM sent.