PDA

View Full Version : A friend's pastor wants to self-pub

Robin Bayne
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
A friend is asking me about self publishing--she's trying to help her pastor with a book of devotionals. She is looking at Xulonpress.com--anyone know if this is a good choice?

Or recommend another Christian self pub?

Calla Lily
03-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Inspie, here's their thread in BR&BC (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55007&highlight=xulon).

Short answer: Run like the wind.

Have them look into LuLu if he's determined to self-pub. I understand it's a good choice and quite reasonable--I've never used it myself.

Robin Bayne
03-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Thanks very much!

Deb Kinnard
03-22-2012, 01:11 AM
Robin, my pastor self-pubbed a book on "God's Order for the Local Church." He wasn't doing it for the money; he used it as an adjunct to a very well established speaking ministry he had, dealing with (surprise!) local church governance. He gave the copies away or charged a very small fee for them. He used a local printer here in the Chicago area. I only know about this project 'cause I did the editing!

If your minister does this in a similar vein, I wish her many, many opportunities to spread her thoughts around. If she's looking to make a bit of money -- I yield to better knowledge, but from what I've heard, these books don't do so well.

Cathy C
03-22-2012, 01:19 AM
Lulu is good, or Smashwords. But I would also suggest checking with local printing companies (like who do letterhead and labels) in the pastor's town. I've discovered there are quite a number of small companies who have purchased digital printers (the same as Lightning Source, but smaller) who might be willing to cut a break for a local church.

Deb Kinnard
03-22-2012, 01:59 AM
Good idea, Cathy! I didn't think of that (well-duhh--my pastor found a local firm!). Blame brain freeze...

I'd be ready to bet, Robin, there'd be someone in your area who could do it, and maybe better. Lulu is dependable and not overpriced, if she chooses to go that route.

Robin Bayne
03-22-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the idea, I will pass it on. Not sure what his goal really is.