PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Mirror VS Snow White and the Huntsman

TudorRose
03-20-2012, 01:47 PM
http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg849/scaled.php?server=849&filename=mirrormirrorposter.jpg&res=medium http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg515/scaled.php?server=515&filename=kristenstewartswathopt.jpg&res=medium

Mirror Mirror Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgbH05rQx1s (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgbH05rQx1sSnow)

Snow White and the Huntsman Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgbiAfK3BHU

Which take on Snow White are you more interested in seeing? Comedic or dark?

CACTUSWENDY
03-20-2012, 02:51 PM
For me? I think I will take the funny one. :D

heyjude
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
The Huntsman one looks amazing!

defcon6000
03-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Have to say the Snow White and the Huntsman trailer looks far more impressive, maybe because they gave KStew as few lines as possible to speak.

I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts, so I'll pass on that.

thothguard51
03-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Snow White and the Huntsman...

Toothpaste
03-20-2012, 05:25 PM
I really wanted to like MIRROR MIRROR over SWATH. I think MM has a much more original aesthetic and SWATH is derivative of LOTR etc.

But, after watching the trailers for both, I must say I am truly excited about SWATH and I think MM is seriously let down by the writing. Even the moments in the trailer aren't funny, and we all know how they usually put the funniest moments in the trailer.

So yeah, for me it's unfortunately SWATH for the win. Not that I am too fussed, it does have Chris Hemsworth in it.

heza
03-20-2012, 05:52 PM
I will very likely go see both. I like that MM seems family friendly. The kiddos and I run out of things we can both tolerate, pretty quickly. SWATH is right up my epic alley, but I'm not a huge fan of Stewart (I am a fan of Hemsworth). I'm going to go in with low expectations and hope to be surprised. But I'm really glad that we get two, at the same time, that are really, really different in their tellings. I think that's fun.

eternalised
03-20-2012, 06:03 PM
I'll probably see both, but I'll wait until I can rent a DVD of Mirror, Mirror. Doesn't seem like the kind of movie I'd want to watch in the movie theater, especially not with so many other good ones (Underworld 4, The Hunger Games, The Woman in Black) coming out. Snow White & The Huntsman is definitely one to watch in the theater though.

I don't like the girl who plays Snow White in Mirror, Mirror. Seriously...her eyebrows are huge, and they continuously distract me. I usually don't care much for the appearance of actors and actresses, but those eyebrows are over the top.

TudorRose
03-20-2012, 07:10 PM
SWATH got my vote. I like my fairy tales dark. I also loved the Sigourney Weaver version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlQ75fhWKE), which went back to dark gothic roots.

Tarsem blew my mind with The Fall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO0LYcCoeJY), so I was really surprised (and disappointed) that he took his in this mainstream Ella Enchanted/Princess Bride direction.

CrastersBabies
03-20-2012, 07:35 PM
MM looks like the Pluto Nash of this generation. Utterly horrible. Puppy love? A grown man running around fetching after drinking a potion? If I actually lowered myself to seeing this, I might develop a stroke from all the eye-rolling.

warofthesparks
03-20-2012, 07:59 PM
I don't like the girl who plays Snow White in Mirror, Mirror. Seriously...her eyebrows are huge, and they continuously distract me. I usually don't care much for the appearance of actors and actresses, but those eyebrows are over the top.

Ditto on the eyebrows. Lily Collins (Phil Collins' daughter, I believe) has eyebrows thicker than mine, and I'm a guy. I'm not trying to make fun of her, but she needs to take a page out of Whoopi Goldberg's book and go with no eyebrows at all.

I voted for SWATH, simply because MM looks like it doesn't know whether it's a comedy or a fantasy or a little bit of each.

Toothpaste
03-20-2012, 08:05 PM
I actually really like her eyebrows, kind of Brooke Shields from back in the day.

bearilou
03-20-2012, 09:41 PM
Not that I am too fussed, it does have Chris Hemsworth in it.

If he takes his shirt off like in Thor?

Yeah...I'm there.

/shallow

Marumae
03-21-2012, 07:09 AM
I plan on seeing both but for different reasons, MM for Tarsem Singh because he made one of my favorite movies of all time "The Fall" with the Pie maker and my future husband, Lee Pace and it could be fun. It makes me suspecious though that it could end up being really ridiculous like Ella Enchanted (which is too bad because the book is ahmazing).

Rhoda Nightingale
03-22-2012, 12:58 AM
Huntsman, hands-down. The trailer gives me the impression that they're telling the story from the POV of the evil queen, which could be really interesting. The effects look sweet, too.

As for KStew--I half-wonder if folk are just holding Twilight against her. I liked her well enough in The Messengers, and in Panic Room although admittedly that was a while ago.

Toothpaste
03-22-2012, 02:43 AM
People definitely hold TWILIGHT against KS. Especially because most people never saw any of her other stuff, a lot of which was smaller, so some even assume TWILIGHT was her first film. I think she's a decent actress, she's not a chameleon or anything, but she's good in them. Aside from TWILIGHT. But then again, everybody kind of stinks in TWILIGHT. It's not their fault. Film is the director's/editor's medium. I always reference the STAR WARS prequels when people insist otherwise. I think most people think Ewan McGregor is a fine actor, but in those movies he is downright terrible. Why? The editing is atrocious.

Belle_91
03-22-2012, 03:51 AM
I think they both are entirely different re-tellings of this classic tale.

I'm excited for Mirror Mirror because I think Julia Roberts will play an excellent Evil Queen, and I could watch Nathan Lane read a newspaper and think I got my money's worth.

SWATH looks something more for big kids. :) Definatly darker and edgier and probably going to throw in that whole the Queen eating the heart of the pig (the heart she thinks belongs to Snow White) and I doubt Mirror Mirror will show that.

I love fairy tales and retellings, so I'm excited for both. While MM looks a little bad, it doesn't look like the massive, awkward trainwreck that Beastly was.

(BTW definatly read the book Beastly by Alex Flinn. A lovely re-telling of BATB. Just don't waste your time and money on the movie.)

fredXgeorge
03-22-2012, 05:38 AM
I don't like KStew but I think I'm more looking forward to SWATH. Can't wait to see the costumes in Mirror Mirror though. I like that they both have really different takes on the story.

CrastersBabies
03-22-2012, 07:17 PM
People definitely hold TWILIGHT against KS. Especially because most people never saw any of her other stuff, a lot of which was smaller, so some even assume TWILIGHT was her first film. I think she's a decent actress, she's not a chameleon or anything, but she's good in them. Aside from TWILIGHT. But then again, everybody kind of stinks in TWILIGHT. It's not their fault. Film is the director's/editor's medium. I always reference the STAR WARS prequels when people insist otherwise. I think most people think Ewan McGregor is a fine actor, but in those movies he is downright terrible. Why? The editing is atrocious.

That is really unfortunate. I loathe the Twilight franchise, but I don't hold it against the actress. I thought she rocked her portrayal of Joan Jett. I've also seen her in other things and really enjoy her performances. It's pretty ignorant that people only judge the actress based on one role/part.

I also think KStew is quite beautiful. I think she'll make an awesome Snow White.

JQTrotter
03-24-2012, 01:59 PM
I think Mirror Mirror looks weird... but I might give it a go once it goes to netflex/dvd. I really want to see Snow White and the Huntsmen because it looks like a really good movie (and I love the guy that plays Thor). But... I dislike Kristin Stewart.

I am one of those people that holds Twilight against her. She did chose to be in the movie, after all. I watched the first one and she had pretty much three facial expressions (most including biting her bottom lip) and I saw her in Adventureland which I didn't think she did great acting. So I haven't been sold on her and thus I avoid movies with her in it.

When I think Snow White (the girl that's the fairest of them all) KStew is not the first girl that pops into my mind. Not even close. But if we're talking gruff girl fighter I could see her playing that role. It'll take a lot of convincing for me to believe that she could possibly became prettier than Charlize Theron.

All that being said... I'm going to have to go see Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm open to KStew proving my opinion of her wrong with this film.

WackAMole
03-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I am a bit annoyed with Julia Roberts in the trailer. When 'Steel Magnolias' came out I must have watched it 5 times just to see her and Sally Fields. In fact, all of the women did a great job in their roles in that move IMO

BUT, watching that trailer, I found myself a little irritated with the fact that Julia Roberts is portraying the evil queen in much the same manner that she portrays a lot of her other characters in other movies. Shes been typecast.

I will probably see both just based on the fact that one is a little more humorous while the other is a little darker portrayel with a nice little twist on who snow white actually was/is.

WackAMole
03-24-2012, 02:16 PM
I think Mirror Mirror looks weird... but I might give it a go once it goes to netflex/dvd. I really want to see Snow White and the Huntsmen because it looks like a really good movie (and I love the guy that plays Thor). But... I dislike Kristin Stewart.

I am one of those people that holds Twilight against her. She did chose to be in the movie, after all. I watched the first one and she had pretty much three facial expressions (most including biting her bottom lip) and I saw her in Adventureland which I didn't think she did great acting. So I haven't been sold on her and thus I avoid movies with her in it.

When I think Snow White (the girl that's the fairest of them all) KStew is not the first girl that pops into my mind. Not even close. But if we're talking gruff girl fighter I could see her playing that role. It'll take a lot of convincing for me to believe that she could possibly became prettier than Charlize Theron.

All that being said... I'm going to have to go see Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm open to KStew proving my opinion of her wrong with this film.

Though I kinda agree with you, I thought she did a pretty good job portraying Joan Jett in 'The Runaways' (I think it was called that anyway LOL)

gothicangel
03-24-2012, 04:06 PM
I think most people think Ewan McGregor is a fine actor, but in those movies he is downright terrible. Why? The editing is atrocious.

I actually feel McGregor is one of those actors who find it incredibly difficult to deal with CGI and acting to green-screens. But, I think McGregor went through a spate of awful Hollywood movies. Having recently seen him in Beginners and Haywire, I think he is turning the corner.

For the OP: Honestly, I'm not planning on seeing either. I imagine my next trip to the cinema will be to see Kevin MacDonald's documentary on Bob Marley.

Silver-Midnight
03-24-2012, 06:23 PM
Trutfully, Snow White and the Huntsman.

Belle_91
04-02-2012, 12:40 AM
So did anyone see Mirror Mirror over the weekend? If so, how did you like it?

thekingsguard
04-02-2012, 09:15 AM
Going to see Mirror Mirror this week. Voted for it becuase, lets face it, trailer aside, the director for Huntsman says Kristin Stewart is in 70% of the film, so its awfully telling the trailer revolves around everyone BUT her. possibly because she has all the acting ability of a doormat, and perhaps less charisma and facial expression than one.

LittleKiwi
04-02-2012, 11:49 AM
I've been looking forward to SWATH since I saw the first trailer. MM, not so much. It really doesn't appeal to me.

DeleyanLee
04-02-2012, 11:55 AM
So did anyone see Mirror Mirror over the weekend? If so, how did you like it?

I did. Enjoyed it immensely. We went to see it because we like Pit Boss (a troop of Little People who entertain and rescue pit bulls) and two of the Dwarves are also on that show. We were curious what they were doing, how they were at acting, etc. They were good, though they didn't have the largest parts among the seven.

MM was fun, light, and was a competent Comedic Fantasy. It struck the same balance with me that the classic Myth stories by Robert Asprin did so well, but in a totally different way.

We really enjoyed the kick-ass dwarf thieves (and some of the acrobatics they did on stilts was pretty impressive) and the fact that they were totally competent to take on whatever they had to--until the big battle at the end when they were honestly outmatched.

It was nice to see that Snow White wins not because she becomes a kick-ass woman warrior, but that she bothers to see things that other people ignore and that she's willing to take chances that others won't. It was a refreshing take on someone winning the day.

I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts, so I'll pass on that.

I hate Julia Roberts with a passion. Always have. I think she's ugly and I hate looking at her. She's been the worst part of any movie I've ever had to watch with her in it over the years.

That said, she was delightful as the evil queen. The fact that I think she's ugly played well into the role. There was no attempt to redeem the queen, she was just selfish and evil and worked so very well against the honorable (and naive) prince.

And the puppy love bit is hilarious (and makes sense and is longer than the trailer bits). The actor playing the prince pulls it off extremely well.

It's not dark, but it is great fun. Good for families or people (like me) who doesn't like dark moody films.

Belle_91
06-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Alright, I saw Mirror Mirror and was kind of disappointed. I knew it was a kid's movie, but I thought it was ridculously cheesy. The Walt Disney fairytale retellings are too, but they have an art that makes it appear not to be so cheesy.

Anyways, has anyone seen Snow White and the Huntsman? If so, how was it? It looks epic, but I'm a little weary of KS being in it. Has she picked up her game since the dreaded Twilight series?

thothguard51
06-03-2012, 10:51 PM
While I voted for the Huntsmen, we have to remember these are two very different stories. Each will have their audience...

Belle_91
06-03-2012, 11:37 PM
While I voted for the Huntsmen, we have to remember these are two very different stories. Each will have their audience...

I couldn't agree more. I was just wondering what people thought of the Huntsman movie if they saw it. I'm hoping the other actors might make up for KS lack of emotion. Who knows, maybe KS has become a better actress. Sometimes there is only so much an actor can do with a script as bas as Twilight. I've only ever seen her in one other thing, Speak, and I can't really remember it.

Smish
06-03-2012, 11:46 PM
I've seen both movies. They couldn't be more different. I went to see Mirror, Mirror with a group of small children; they loved it. And I thought it was cute, for a kid's movie.

I'm not a KS fan (she never closes her mouth. Even when her face is at rest, her mouth is open. It's unnatural), but I ended up liking Snow White and the Huntsman a lot. Mostly because Charlize Theron was an AWESOME wicked Queen. The movie is worth watching for her performance alone.

Toothpaste
06-04-2012, 01:10 AM
I didn't see MM, but saw SWATH. I enjoyed it, though it was a bit slow, which actually I didn't mind, it felt right, but you should be prepared for that. It was gorgeous to watch and an interesting retelling.

However I felt the romance was not well constructed, like the writers thought they had done a good job at introducing it and creating chemistry between the characters but they didn't actually do it. It wasn't until the end that they invested time in the romance, but we needed far more at the beginning. It definitely seemed like they were far more interested in the Queen's story which made me wonder why they didn't just make the whole film about her. It was quite a tragedy actually, and even though she's pure evil, you kind of also felt bad for her.

I found the acting overall was strong, even KS (who I don't mind in general - liked her in both ADVENTURELAND and THE RUNAWAYS), it's just the writing was wanting.

Also while not deeply scary, there are some horror elements to the film and I really don't think this is a movie for kids. Just fyi.

Satori1977
06-04-2012, 05:48 AM
I want to see The Huntsman. though I am no fan of Stewart (I have seen her in movies other than Twilight. The only decent one was Panic Room), but I love dark fairy tales. Plus, the trailer looks amazing. I am also a fan of Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth. Hopefully all that will make the movie worth it.

kaitie
06-06-2012, 04:47 AM
I saw The Huntsman yesterday. I honestly enjoyed it. It had a lot of elements I really enjoyed for a fairy tale, the dark, gritty, scary elements that I think are half the fun and that I always enjoyed as a child. Not to mention Thor (who was half the reason I saw the movie ;) and William who was almost as hot as Thor. Who will continue to be called Thor because I don't think the movie actually ever named him. :tongue

My boyfriend hated it, though. And he likes almost anything. I was pretty shocked. He thought a lot of the magical/destiny elements were just downright stupid, and found a lot of fault with the way the story was done.

I have to admit, it wasn't a great movie, but I did enjoy it. I often felt like it was trying to be more epic than it was (LOTR anyone? So much of it was lifted directly from that), but even that didn't really do more than get a chuckle out of me sometimes.

I will say that I kept feeling like Kristen Stewart actually had more than our lines in the movie, but that they'd all been cut out because she couldn't act. She was really not that impressive, and while I liked some elements (the Snow White who gets up and fights even though she can't fight worth a damn) and she had a nice Joan of Arc vibe, she wasn't very good. And I'm not trying to sound rude, as this is a totally subjective thing, but I've never found her particularly pretty, so compared to Theron I had a hard time believing her as the most beautiful woman in the land.

I think I'd like to see Mirror, Mirror now to compare, though it's not a movie I expect to enjoy. The trailer alone had me rolling my eyes.

rainsmom
06-06-2012, 06:16 AM
And I'm not trying to sound rude, as this is a totally subjective thing, but I've never found her particularly pretty, so compared to Theron I had a hard time believing her as the most beautiful woman in the land.
WORD!

This movie and LOTR may be based on some of the same mythology:

http://thedruidoffisherst.blogspot.com/2012/06/snow-white-and-huntsman-through-pagan.html

DeleyanLee
06-06-2012, 06:59 AM
I've seen both now.

Mirror Mirror was exactly as promised--a light-hearted little romp through the fairy tale with a couple of fun little twists (like the dwarves being a bandit corps, the whole thing with the apple, even the thing with the mirror). I enjoyed the romp for what it was.

SWATH, OTOH, disappointed me even before the end credits ran. The commercials promised me something dark and gritty, something more than the standard fairy tale. And it was hinted at--the Queen's whole thing about men taking advantage of beauty, of how every king ruins her, etc. That was interesting, something dark and psychological, and different. But it never went anywhere. The whole thing with William--I wanted him to betray her, to play into the entire Queen thing. I was expecting far more dark than what they gave me.

While the pacing had all the right marks at the right points, I felt it dragged considerably because the high points were very high and the low points didn't approach any depths, let alone plumb them. The one death scene should've hurt, if just a little. It didn't have an impact except to slow down the next bit of the story.

As my friend (who's also seen both) mentioned, SWATH couldn't decide what kind of story it wanted to tell--was it the fairy tale? Something darker? A romance? It just had bits of so many different stories, it didn't coalesce into one thing, at least for me. Just very disappointing, story-wise.

Of the two, I prefer Mirror Mirror, which is really weird for me to say. I usually don't like the really fluffy stuff best.

kaitie
06-06-2012, 07:09 AM
I have to agree on the queen stuff. On the one hand, there were these hints of a really interesting backstory that led her to be who she was, but none of it was particularly well developed.

I'd have liked if one of the scenes they threw in as a random "We had a really big expense budget and oh yeah, we don't want you to forget here's an evil queen here!" aside would have done more with her character instead. I got that she was evil the first time she did something evil. I didn't need the constant reminder of it and would have appreciated depth in its place.

Erin Latimer
06-06-2012, 07:29 PM
I saw SWATH last night. I loved the actual movie, I thought the effects were very well done. Very visually striking. And Charlize Theron as the evil queen was super charismatic, it made me want to rush off and write a character like her.

That said, I was extremely disappointed in Kirsten Stewart. I've only seen her in Twilight, and I knew EVERYONE in Twilight was horrible, so I went with an open mind, thinking that this movie would be a chance to redeem herself, to show the world she COULD act. At first I was thrilled, she played dejected captive in the tower very well, and her horror and fear in the dark forest seemed almost real. But as the movie progressed, her facial expressions didn't. Her happiness and physical attraction to the huntsman were just opened-jawed, shell-shocked expressions.
SPOILER HERE: I felt not one twinge of sadness when she "died", and no inspiration when the spell was broken and she just started blinking, her face still totally slack. But apparently she was really inspired, because she storms out and starts giving a speech. Her voice is impassioned, but her physical features are clearly not aware she's doing the warrior princess thing now, for all the excitement they show, she could be browsing the frozen food section at the supermarket.

The rest of the movie could have been enjoyable, but Stewart's performance sank it like the Titanic. For me it wasn't just the acting either. I remember Snow White as a child, the disney version. Snow White is supposed to have black hair, a pale face and red, red lips. She's supposed to be the fairest in the land. Stewart doesn't have a chance next to Theron. The queen could have just relaxed, the mirror is wrong.
I just kept thinking the entire time, "ANYONE else. They could have cast anyone else and it would have been better."

heyjude
06-06-2012, 08:19 PM
I saw Snow White and the Huntsman and really enjoyed it, but also agree with most of the crits above. The actress (I'd never seen her before) was a bit wooden and the queen was phenomenal, but could have been more. The thing that really got to me though was the thud of a romance. Dang, it could have been good. So good. But... nothing.

Saw somewhere they might make a sequel--if you've seen it, would you see the sequel?

Torgo
06-06-2012, 08:25 PM
My other half is trying to persuade me to go and see SWATH tomorrow night. What worries me is, I just watched the trailer and KS has not a single line. She never speaks. This to me says "They couldn't find a good bit."

Having just been sorely disappointed in Prometheus I am not sure I am up for another duff film.

DeleyanLee
06-07-2012, 12:32 AM
Saw somewhere they might make a sequel--if you've seen it, would you see the sequel?

No. I didn't even sit through the credits to see if there were extra scenes (very unusual for me).

kaitie
06-07-2012, 03:00 AM
My other half is trying to persuade me to go and see SWATH tomorrow night. What worries me is, I just watched the trailer and KS has not a single line. She never speaks. This to me says "They couldn't find a good bit."

Having just been sorely disappointed in Prometheus I am not sure I am up for another duff film.

Eek I wish I hadn't heard you were disappointed by Prometheus--that's next on my list!

I'm serious when I say that I had the feeling that there were originally a lot more Snow White lines in the script but that they ere all cut because she couldn't act. There were so many scenes where it just seemed like she should have a line, or where she'd say something and then it felt like the next three lines had just been removed, and in my mind I was just seeing this exhausted director sitting back and waiving his hand saying, "Okay, look, just cut the line and make a face at the camera."

I'm not surprised she doesn't have lines in the trailer. She hardly had any in the movie itself. I also wondered if she just couldn't pull off the accent and that had something to do with it.

kaitie
06-07-2012, 03:02 AM

I'm not sure what they could do with a sequel, honestly. It seemed like they wrapped the story up pretty well. If they did do one, they would have to have a different actress to do Snow White before I'd watch it (in theaters anyway). And Theron was so amazing that I have a hard time imagining it without her.

A prequel I'd watch, though. Something telling the Queen's back story and maybe her first take over the world venture? I'd watch that in a heartbeat.

Smiley0501
06-07-2012, 03:20 AM
I really enjoyed SW&TH. I think it's because I was fascinated by The Queen's backstory and if anything -- they shouldn't make a sequel, but a prequel and focus on her story. I loved the idea of a woman's power/beauty/sexuality is enhanced by dark magic. (I just did an entire thesis on this :ROFL: to graduate from college) But yea...

If anything - they should make a prequel.

(Is there a movie like that? I can't remember...)

heyjude
06-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I'd watch that too, Smiley.

Kaitie, I had the same thought about the actress. The scene at the end where she's looking around I kept waiting for her to freaking say something, do something, smile, anything, FFS, but... nuthin'.

Smiley0501
06-07-2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks, Jude. Too bad I'm not a film maker/big time Hollywood person :ROFL: or that would've happened before SW&TH ever came out. :tongue

kaitie
06-07-2012, 11:47 PM
I'd watch that too, Smiley.

Kaitie, I had the same thought about the actress. The scene at the end where she's looking around I kept waiting for her to freaking say something, do something, smile, anything, FFS, but... nuthin'.

Okay, I just have to say this because it struck me as funny. You know the part where she says "You can't have my heart" there at the end? Now, in my mind this could have been a totally badass line had it been shouted appropriately while stabbing or something, but the way she said it didn't work for me at all.

Anyway, I seriously was thinking to myself, "She's about to say 'It already belongs to someone else,' isn't she?" I just knew that was about to come next! So I was talking to the SO afterwards and he actually said the exact same thing. It cracked me up and made me wonder if that hadn't actually been there and then someone realized it was really stupid so they cut it out. Or maybe the actress has just gotten so used to being in cheesy romance movies that it was just her natural reaction?

heyjude
06-08-2012, 12:02 AM
Anyway, I seriously was thinking to myself, "She's about to say 'It already belongs to someone else,' isn't she?" I just knew that was about to come next! So I was talking to the SO afterwards and he actually said the exact same thing. It cracked me up and made me wonder if that hadn't actually been there and then someone realized it was really stupid so they cut it out. Or maybe the actress has just gotten so used to being in cheesy romance movies that it was just her natural reaction?

YES. I thought the EXACT same thing. And YES, it would have been cheesy as hell but totally would have satisfied my desire for romance. :)

heza
06-08-2012, 12:23 AM
Anyway, I seriously was thinking to myself, "She's about to say 'It already belongs to someone else,' isn't she?"

I also thought that's what she was going to say. I can't decide if I'm glad they didn't go that cheesy and predictable or if I'm going to just hate that line no matter what. It seemed really too obvious a thing to say, like an observation, after the Queen's already dying and without the badass action behind it... anyway.

I was struck by how silent the title character was. Like Stewart was just in the movie for the sole purpose of being teenager bait.

I liked the setting and the effects. I loved Hemsworth and the fellow who played William. I adored Theron. And in that company, Stewart just didn't stand up, and the lack of lines pointed a huge arrow at it.

I also didn't like a good portion of the dialog. I thought her "rousing" speech was terrible, not just in the delivery but in the wording as well. And I didn't buy the romance. I'm not even sure what they were trying to say. I sort of felt William's love for Snow White (but in an obsessive past regret sort of way), but I didn't get anything except maybe a little Chosen One awe from the Huntsman anywhere in the movie, aside from the moment he randomly declares his love for her while she's asleep. And I don't understand why his kiss woke her when William unabashedly loves her AND he's the one she seemed to want back in the forest...

But I did experience a notable lack of emotion while watching this movie (and I cry during commercials). The only place where I was actually touched was when the Queen started aging when her brother was dying and cut him off because she couldn't go down with him. I felt her pain right then, but everything else just seemed to be the idea of a thing rather than the actual thing.

I'm not mad I spent the money, but I likely won't rent it when it comes out.

barnhijl
06-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Yeah...I'm there.

/shallow

this made me LOL. and it is also why i love the Thor movie

Spoiler: he doesn't :(

after watching both movies I think I'm disappointed in both. I think they got caught up in racing each other and let some things slip through. they both seemed to have a lot of promise but were lacking... or had plot holes. which bummed me out b/c I love redone fairy tales.

barnhijl
06-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I didn't see MM, but saw SWATH. I enjoyed it, though it was a bit slow, which actually I didn't mind, it felt right, but you should be prepared for that. It was gorgeous to watch and an interesting retelling.

However I felt the romance was not well constructed, like the writers thought they had done a good job at introducing it and creating chemistry between the characters but they didn't actually do it. It wasn't until the end that they invested time in the romance, but we needed far more at the beginning. It definitely seemed like they were far more interested in the Queen's story which made me wonder why they didn't just make the whole film about her. It was quite a tragedy actually, and even though she's pure evil, you kind of also felt bad for her.

I found the acting overall was strong, even KS (who I don't mind in general - liked her in both ADVENTURELAND and THE RUNAWAYS), it's just the writing was wanting.

Also while not deeply scary, there are some horror elements to the film and I really don't think this is a movie for kids. Just fyi.

I agree! the romance was terrible in SWAH. They didn't set it up at all. I do not like KS, and I didn't like her in this. BUT they hardly gave her any lines, lol. I think it would have been better with a different actress and better writing. Theron was amazing the whole time though. and I think it was more for the tween teen crowd (like the girls who like twilight coming to mind)

bearilou
06-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Not that I am too fussed, it does have Chris Hemsworth in it.

Yeah...I'm there.

/shallow

this made me LOL. and it is also why i love the Thor movie

Spoiler: he doesn't :(

Hm...may have to rethink going to see it in the theater...

:D

heyjude
06-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Don't worry. He's still hot, even dirty. :)

bearilou
06-08-2012, 10:58 PM
Don't worry. He's still hot, even dirty. :)

WHEW! Movie saved! :yessmiley

defcon6000
06-09-2012, 02:29 AM
Finally, saw it today. I thought it was pretty decent, despite KStew's lack of emotion. The visuals were great, obviously drew some inspiration from LOTR films. Loved how the worked in the dwarves.

I don't feel like this movie was intended to be a romance, or even have a romantic subplot. It could've had a romantic element, there was certainly chemistry, but I think it was sacrificed in order to have more action. The camp scene was the only time they had a breather, otherwise, they were always on the run.

However, it struck me kind of odd that everyone was kissing a comatose teenager.

I was struck by how silent the title character was. Like Stewart was just in the movie for the sole purpose of being teenager bait. Yeah, it almost feels like they purposely took lines out or gave them to others so she wouldn't have to speak. It makes me wish they'd chosen a stronger actress, one who could actually emote.

thothguard51
06-09-2012, 02:33 AM
I read today that a sequel has been picked up for Snow White and the Huntsman #2...

I is glad...

kaitie
06-09-2012, 03:06 AM
WHEW! Movie saved! :yessmiley

And I've got to say that William? He was right on par with Thor for me. Granted, more my type, but still. I didn't expect two pretty boys in one movie. :D

defcon6000
06-09-2012, 03:23 AM
I read today that a sequel has been picked up for Snow White and the Huntsman #2...

I is glad...
Please tell me they're going to replace KStew. Thor and William can stay. :D

(Oh god, I had a terrible thought: what if the sequel is nothing but a bad love triangle and in the end, Bella--err, Snow White has to choose one of the guys to marry.)

kaitie
06-09-2012, 03:26 AM
Oh goodness gracious. Please don't even joke about that sort of thing lol.

heyjude
06-09-2012, 03:31 AM
I'll be curious to see what they do with the sequel. I'd probably see it.

Thor is definitely more to my taste. Which has nothing to do about anything, but... And I didn't know he was Thor. Is there a Thor movie? I have the sudden hankering to see it...

DeleyanLee
06-09-2012, 03:40 AM
There is a Thor movie. It's even not bad--what is it with Chris Hemsworth's characters falling for flat, wooden leading ladies?--I enjoyed it. He's also in the new Avengers movie as Thor.

Both worth seeing.

kaitie
06-09-2012, 04:01 AM
I definitely agree. Thor was much to my liking (and I didn't think I'd like it) and I want to watch the Avengers like five more times I loved it so much. And there is a Thor 2 in the making, I believe.

Watch Thor first, btw. The same villain is in the Avengers, and he makes a lot more sense if you've seen Thor. :)

K. Taylor
06-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Yep, Thor 2 in 2013.

FalloutMule
06-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Snow White was terrible. Kirstan Stewart is soooooooooooo bad.

childeroland
06-11-2012, 07:57 AM
It was better than Mirror Mirror, which is the worst film I've seen this year. Stewart is forgettable but Hemsworth is quite good and Theron keeps the viewer from falling asleep while the film seems to drag...and drag...and drag...

What is it with ending live action fairy tales with terrible dance numbers? First Depp's 'Fractius Day' dance and then whatever the heck they were doing at the end of 'Mirror'.

K. Taylor
06-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Mirror Mirror was directed and created by a Bollywood director. That's why there were certain influences.

barnhijl
06-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Mirror Mirror was directed and created by a Bollywood director. That's why there were certain influences.

that explains that last song! I was just watching it thinking... ok?

barnhijl
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I definitely agree. Thor was much to my liking (and I didn't think I'd like it) and I want to watch the Avengers like five more times I loved it so much. And there is a Thor 2 in the making, I believe.

Watch Thor first, btw. The same villain is in the Avengers, and he makes a lot more sense if you've seen Thor. :)

I can't wait for thor 2, I know Thor wasn't the best movie ever.... BUT i guess i really just like the actor.. lol and it was a fun movie to watch.

NewKidOldKid
06-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I can't wait for thor 2, I know Thor wasn't the best movie ever.... BUT i guess i really just like the actor.. lol and it was a fun movie to watch.

Of course you like the actor. I mean... YUMMY. :)

I didn't like Thor, but I thought the character was great in The Avengers. Actually, everybody was awesome in The Avengers.

Snow White and the Huntsman was actually good. Didn't expect that at all. Kristen Stewart sucks, but that's ok. The queen was just perfect.

heza
06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Snow White and the Huntsman was actually good. Didn't expect that at all. Kristen Stewart sucks, but that's ok. The queen was just perfect.

I'd go see a SWatH 2 if they managed to resurrect Theron for vengeful things.

Smiley0501
06-12-2012, 09:46 PM
I just want a movie about the Queen.

Honestly, they should've just titled this movie "The BadAss Queen" :ROFL: instead of Snow White (who, honestly, was barely in the movie...like what did she do in that tower for *all that time*??) and The Huntsman (interesting backstory but again, not a character we really focused on in the film)....

defcon6000
06-12-2012, 09:57 PM
I just want a movie about the Queen.
Agreed. :D She was the best character out of the entire cast, and with all the superhero movies coming out, I wouldn't mind more bad guy oriented stories. Perhaps the sequel will actually be a prequel. *crosses fingers*

JQTrotter
06-15-2012, 11:15 AM
But... I dislike Kristin Stewart.

I said this before I saw the movie, a while ago, in this thread. And I take most of it back now. I saw the movie last night and I was delightfully surprised by KStew. Charlize Theron was great, like I thought, and I've been crushing on Chris Hemsworth since I saw the first Thor (so handsome). His Scottish accent was weird, and the only one in the entire movie, but that can be forgiven.

KStew wasn't given many lines and she still has only half a dozen facial expressions but she did far better than I thought she would. Which means she can learn and grow into a better actress.

The storyline to Snow White was interesting, albeit predictable, and the ending was strange. They gave KStew the crown, she stood up, and that was all. Also, I totally didn't get the whole Snow White/Huntsman thing. They barely knew each other, how can they be true loves? When she was crushing on Son of Duke William all her life? And William was still hot on her after all those years? That romance made sense. Snow White and the Huntsman was a boring insta-love relationship.

eternalised
06-24-2012, 06:19 PM
I went to see Snow White and the Huntsman last night. Two hours of my life I'll never get back.

The story has potential. A lot of potential, hence why this is, IMO, one of the few movies they should've turned into trilogies. There's enough material to spin a trilogy, and when it's all put into one movie, it's veeeeery confusing, and leads to storylines going absolutely nowhere.

The Queen is marvellous, but the way she infiltrated the castle doesn't make sense, and I had trouble buying it. Once she is installed in the castle, the movie picked up. I liked Charlize Theron's performance - I loved it. If they decide to make a movie based on the Queen, I'm in. Definitely. She plays amazingly well, and I loved the Queen's obsession with beauty. The Queen's brother was not convincing though. The Mirror was an awesome touch.

The best thing about this entire movie? The castle. Oh my God, is that castle gorgeous. I want to live there. Now. Someone buy me that castle. Even if it's a film set (no idea), I want to live there.

So back to Snow White and the unbelievable, cliche and awkward love triangle in this movie. Snow White and William makes sense. He obviously loved her from back when they were kids. So if they'd cut out the Huntsman, or have William be the Huntsman or something, this movie could've been great. But no. They go for a love triangle that doesn't make any sense. Snow White and the Huntsman know each for approximately two/three days. But guess what? It's true love. But, she does kiss William at some point, so I'm not too certain about that true love either.

If this had been more than one movie, the relationships could've been beter developed and would've made more sense.

Anyone else also rolled their eyes when Snow White "healed the land" but failed to heal someone two seconds later? Yeah...

This film is filled with so many plot holes it had me rolling my eyes every two seconds. It also has more clichés than I could count on both hands. As usually, Stewart has one facial expression - she bites her lip over seven times during the entire movie - and although Cris Hemsworth did a fairly good job, why the accent? Nobody else has an accent.

But the most dissapointing thing was the attack on the castle. Seriously? Have you seen that castle? It scores pretty high on the list of "untakeable premises". Instead of some good, old warfare, let's make seven dwarves invade the castle and open the gates. Strategy-wise, this is near impossible. Also, Snow White's army only has cavalry. Most ridiculous battle ever, if you ask me.

All in all, not too bad of a movie, but too many cliches and storylines going nowhere. The idea was awesome, but they tried to get too much stuff into one movie for it all to make sense.

At least, that's my two cents.

Stiger05
06-26-2012, 12:52 AM
Finally saw SWATH last night and thought it was pretty good. Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth carried the movie IMO, making up for KStew's lackluster performance.

I absolutely did not buy her as being more fair that Theron. In what world? More innocent, and pure I can get. They punched that few times, but more fair? Maybe if you're stoned. And deaf. And blind.

Anyway, I seriously was thinking to myself, "She's about to say 'It already belongs to someone else,' isn't she?" I just knew that was about to come next!

Ditto. I kept waiting for it. She looked like she was about to say it and then...nothing. She just stood there. Sure, it would have been cheesy, but it felt like the scene was missing something.

Cris Hemsworth did a fairly good job, why the accent? Nobody else has an accent.

Not sure what you mean. Everyone had an accent. KStew's wasn't very good, but Theron's worked.

Also, I totally didn't get the whole Snow White/Huntsman thing. They barely knew each other, how can they be true loves? When she was crushing on Son of Duke William all her life? And William was still hot on her after all those years? That romance made sense. Snow White and the Huntsman was a boring insta-love relationship.

I completely agree. The relationship between SW and William was believable and made sense. I rooted for those two to get together. SW and the Huntsman though? No. Maybe I'm alone here, but it felt squicky to me. I got a fatherly vibe from him toward her for the whole movie, them bam! there's this declaration of love. It was weird.

The ending was strange too. With her just standing there watching the door. Then Hemsworth appears and that's it. Movie over. I didn't get it.

They better not turn the sequel into a love triangle thing, but what else could it be? The queen is gone. Although a prequel would be awesome!

Devil Ledbetter
06-26-2012, 01:02 AM
Sequel to Snow White & The Huntsman? Whatever for? It's not like they left a bunch of unanswered questions.

I agree Kstew doesn't hold a dripping candle to Charlize Theron. It seemed like she reprised her Bella role of feigning toughness between episodes of needing rescue. Theron was great, though.

Hemsworth's accent is Australian. Perhaps he is not a strong enough actor to overcome it?

I actually liked that they ended it with her coronation rather than a wedding. A lot. It's obvious she ends up with the huntsman from the time his kiss woke her. A wedding would have been both gratuitous and crappily sexist. After all she went through to get the kingdom back, whoopee, she gets to get married.

Being crowned queen is a lot bigger deal, IMO.

defcon6000
06-26-2012, 07:18 AM
I actually liked that they ended it with her coronation rather than a wedding. A lot. It's obvious she ends up with the huntsman from the time his kiss woke her. A wedding would have been both gratuitous and crappily sexist. After all she went through to get the kingdom back, whoopee, she gets to get married.
There's a possibility that she doesn't choose anyone to marry, which would be a nice change of pace. There may have been guys declaring their love for her--or, creepily kissing her while in a coma--but she didn't say she loved them back.

Or maybe she marries a dwarf. :D

heza
08-15-2012, 07:34 PM
Kristen Stewart dropped from SWATH sequel (http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=750663).

Purportedly, the film's studio has decided to ditch the original follow-up, which had focused around Stewart, and go ahead with a "spin-off" centered upon star Chris Hemsworth.

Scandal aside, I think this would have been the better path of the two regardless. Now, I'm vaguely excited about a sequel.

Toothpaste
08-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Wow. The way they are punishing this girl for, yes, not the wisest decision, but certainly something that A LOT of actors male and female do on set is absurd. Especially with the rather many rumors of Pattinson's own infidelity.

I'd have preferred a queen prequel honestly. And how perfect that a series that begins with having strong female leads and makes tons of money on their backs makes the story once more all about the men.

Sigh.

Stiger05
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Wow. The way they are punishing this girl for, yes, not the wisest decision, but certainly something that A LOT of actors male and female do on set is absurd. Especially with the rather many rumors of Pattinson's own infidelity.

I'd have preferred a queen prequel honestly. And how perfect that a series that begins with having strong female leads and makes tons of money on their backs makes the story once more all about the men.

Sigh.

I agree, on all counts. Yeah, she messed up, but it's not like that sort of thing doesn't happen all the time in Hollywood. Why focus on her? No one (okay, maybe a few) hated Angelina Jolie when she cheated with Brad Pitt. Sure the magazines went crazy, but it didn't affect her as an actress.

Anyway, I'm glad the sequel won't focus on Snow White, but I too was hoping for a prequel focusing on the Queen. Oh well.

heza
08-15-2012, 08:24 PM

I wouldn't call this part of HER punishment. You have to take into account that this is the sequel that will be directed by the man with whom she had the affair, who is currently reconciling with a very injured wife, who probably won't allow him to have Stewart in the project if he wants a snowwhite's chance in hell of saving the marriage....

Sigh.

Same here... of the two, though, I'll take this.

Toothpaste
08-15-2012, 09:51 PM
I wouldn't call this part of HER punishment. You have to take into account that this is the sequel that will be directed by the man with whom she had the affair, who is currently reconciling with a very injured wife, who probably won't allow him to have Stewart in the project if he wants a snowwhite's chance in hell of saving the marriage....

So the unmarried young twenty something female who had no children doesn't get to do a film because the older, male married with children director does. No, I think that's a punishment. The kind that happens time and time again to women, "oh we had a physical relationship and now it's just too awkward working with you so...you have to go." most recently I saw this in the documentary about the first chimp they tried to teach sign language to. The man in charge (though who was barely ever present and did none of the actual work) slept with one of the women who was one of the main teachers and then after she had to quit because it was too awkward.

Men get forgiven. Their careers move forward. But women don't. And this is a good example of why. Now, if they hire a different director, I'll feel a lot better about it.

heza
08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Men get forgiven. Their careers move forward. But women don't. And this is a good example of why. Now, if they hire a different director, I'll feel a lot better about it.

I don't think it's fair that, in general, it's always the women who have to go elsewhere when things blow up... I've had to go elsewhere because of failed relationships (different employment when my fiance, whose job I handed to him, cheated on me; different friends when they all picked him; different dwelling; etc.), and I didn't think it was fair, then, either.

This one, though, to me, is at least partly a punishment to him. He's not allowed to make his movie with the actress he wanted. It's small, in comparison, to her being unemployed, but I don't see it as a blacklisting handed down from all of Hollywood to a "harlot." Stewart will work again. And she's not being cut because of the scandal itself (from what I can tell). She's being cut because he's a better director than she is an actress, and his marriage depends on him staying far, far away from her.

ETA: And "punishment" is the wrong word here, I guess, because I completely believe that he deserves to have all things dictated to him until such time as his wife feels she can trust him again.

In the grand scheme of things, I place much, much more blame on his shoulders for this debacle. But at the same time, I have much, much more sympathty for his wife than I do for Kristen Stewart.

I might be wrong, but isn't it usually the director who stays when there's a conflict with an actor?

Toothpaste
08-15-2012, 10:57 PM
I think it depends. If your actor is the franchise, then likely no. I doubt they'd have replaced Daniel Radcliffe over a director.

Also, this was his first film. Why did they entrust this to him? Well he probably impressed. But they knew that Stewart was going to be a huge draw for her twilight connections. Theron as well. And yes, Hemsworth too. They could take a risk on a director because they had the actors. Without the actors I doubt this guy would have been given the job and budget he had. So I think it's very unfair that he gets to continue while she does not, when she's a large part of the reason he was a success.

I think the producers see her as a liability now (didn't want her as the face of their film), and were more than happy to tell him "Uh sure, okay, let's do something different then. Let's also feature a male because it's easier."

heza
08-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I think it depends. If your actor is the franchise, then likely no. I doubt they'd have replaced Daniel Radcliffe over a director.

True.

Also, this was his first film. Why did they entrust this to him? Well he probably impressed.

I have no idea how he got involved with the project, to be honest, and I'm basing my assumption of the importance of the director on a handful of other occurrences. It's much more obvious to me when an actor is missing than when creative control changes hands, so picking the actor over the director probably happens a lot more frequently than I'm actually aware.

But they knew that Stewart was going to be a huge draw for her twilight connections.

But now, her Twilight connections are no longer the commodity they were. Fans have turned on her. Depending on how quickly the sequel was produced, there might have still been some fallout from that aspect of it. So...

I think the producers see her as a liability now (didn't want her as the face of their film),...

Yeah, I think that's probably true. And that makes it as much a business decision as anything else. She just didn't do very well in the first movie, and now, her fans hate her. Without the rabid Twilight fan carry over, it makes a lot more sense to no longer depend on those viewers to help you at the box office.

...and were more than happy to tell him "Uh sure, okay, let's do something different then. Let's also feature a male because it's easier."

I don't take this gut reaction that they went with a male because it's easier. They had three big-name actors. They killed off Theron. The director can't work with Stewart. Hemsworth is the only major star left, and he's also the only title character left. They at least manage some continuity for their franchise in going with his story rather than try to make another SW film with a different actress.

I really wish they'd considered a prequel with Theron... maybe if things go well for the sequel.

thebloodfiend
08-16-2012, 01:32 AM
I don't take this gut reaction that they went with a male because it's easier. They had three big-name actors. They killed off Theron. The director can't work with Stewart. Hemsworth is the only major star left, and he's also the only title character left. They at least manage some continuity for their franchise in going with his story rather than try to make another SW film with a different actress.

This.

And there are two things to consider.

1) Most Twifans are pissed with her. Seriously, their comments are amazing. Therefor, her Twifame is running thin. Most Twifans only cared about RPattz and barely Lautner, anyway.

2) No one else cares. She's a pretty bad actress, all things considered. I know people who avoid movies simply because she's in them. I, for one, love Theron's acting, but have not seen SWATH because Stewart cannot act her way out of a box unless the role calls for an angsty, perpetually stoned-looking teen. And she has little to no chemistry with other actors.

I feel more sympathy for dude's wife, his kids, and Rpattz. Couldn't care less about the director and Stewart. Though I don't know why the fact that they may or may not have had sex should have anything to do with either of them being taken off of the project.

I wish a prequel with Theron staring was going to be done. Or another movie, where they bring back Theron, was going to be done. Or something Grimm Brother's esque where they can combine universes and bring some new star power in.

Maybe I'll actually see the sequel now.

While it's disappointing to see the series revert to standard action male form, I wasn't exactly dying of excitement over Stewart being the face of a potentially kickass movie. Radical idea, but I would've put Summer Bishil as Snow White, since the Last Airbender sequel looks like it died.

defcon6000
08-16-2012, 02:07 AM
Oh I'm sure there's going to be a heroine in the spin-off; they gotta give ThorHemsworth a love interest, and she'll probably be the ass-kicking type. At least this way they can grab a better actress, perhaps the girl from Hunger Games?, who'll bring in new audiences.

But really, they should do a prequel with Theron. :D

The305itself
09-15-2012, 01:25 AM
I enjoyed snow white much more