Mirror Mirror VS Snow White and the Huntsman

Which version of Snow White are you more interested in seeing?

• Mirror Mirror

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Snow White and the Huntsman

Votes: 47 85.5%

• Total voters

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
scaled.php
scaled.php

Mirror Mirror Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgbH05rQx1s

Snow White and the Huntsman Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgbiAfK3BHU

Which take on Snow White are you more interested in seeing? Comedic or dark?

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
For me? I think I will take the funny one. :D

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Have to say the Snow White and the Huntsman trailer looks far more impressive, maybe because they gave KStew as few lines as possible to speak.

I'm not a fan of Julia Roberts, so I'll pass on that.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I really wanted to like MIRROR MIRROR over SWATH. I think MM has a much more original aesthetic and SWATH is derivative of LOTR etc.

But, after watching the trailers for both, I must say I am truly excited about SWATH and I think MM is seriously let down by the writing. Even the moments in the trailer aren't funny, and we all know how they usually put the funniest moments in the trailer.

So yeah, for me it's unfortunately SWATH for the win. Not that I am too fussed, it does have Chris Hemsworth in it.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I will very likely go see both. I like that MM seems family friendly. The kiddos and I run out of things we can both tolerate, pretty quickly. SWATH is right up my epic alley, but I'm not a huge fan of Stewart (I am a fan of Hemsworth). I'm going to go in with low expectations and hope to be surprised. But I'm really glad that we get two, at the same time, that are really, really different in their tellings. I think that's fun.

eternalised

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
majankaverstraete.com
I'll probably see both, but I'll wait until I can rent a DVD of Mirror, Mirror. Doesn't seem like the kind of movie I'd want to watch in the movie theater, especially not with so many other good ones (Underworld 4, The Hunger Games, The Woman in Black) coming out. Snow White & The Huntsman is definitely one to watch in the theater though.

I don't like the girl who plays Snow White in Mirror, Mirror. Seriously...her eyebrows are huge, and they continuously distract me. I usually don't care much for the appearance of actors and actresses, but those eyebrows are over the top.

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
SWATH got my vote. I like my fairy tales dark. I also loved the Sigourney Weaver version, which went back to dark gothic roots.

Tarsem blew my mind with The Fall, so I was really surprised (and disappointed) that he took his in this mainstream Ella Enchanted/Princess Bride direction.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
MM looks like the Pluto Nash of this generation. Utterly horrible. Puppy love? A grown man running around fetching after drinking a potion? If I actually lowered myself to seeing this, I might develop a stroke from all the eye-rolling.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the girl who plays Snow White in Mirror, Mirror. Seriously...her eyebrows are huge, and they continuously distract me. I usually don't care much for the appearance of actors and actresses, but those eyebrows are over the top.

Ditto on the eyebrows. Lily Collins (Phil Collins' daughter, I believe) has eyebrows thicker than mine, and I'm a guy. I'm not trying to make fun of her, but she needs to take a page out of Whoopi Goldberg's book and go with no eyebrows at all.

I voted for SWATH, simply because MM looks like it doesn't know whether it's a comedy or a fantasy or a little bit of each.

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
I plan on seeing both but for different reasons, MM for Tarsem Singh because he made one of my favorite movies of all time "The Fall" with the Pie maker and my future husband, Lee Pace and it could be fun. It makes me suspecious though that it could end up being really ridiculous like Ella Enchanted (which is too bad because the book is ahmazing).

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Huntsman, hands-down. The trailer gives me the impression that they're telling the story from the POV of the evil queen, which could be really interesting. The effects look sweet, too.

As for KStew--I half-wonder if folk are just holding Twilight against her. I liked her well enough in The Messengers, and in Panic Room although admittedly that was a while ago.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
People definitely hold TWILIGHT against KS. Especially because most people never saw any of her other stuff, a lot of which was smaller, so some even assume TWILIGHT was her first film. I think she's a decent actress, she's not a chameleon or anything, but she's good in them. Aside from TWILIGHT. But then again, everybody kind of stinks in TWILIGHT. It's not their fault. Film is the director's/editor's medium. I always reference the STAR WARS prequels when people insist otherwise. I think most people think Ewan McGregor is a fine actor, but in those movies he is downright terrible. Why? The editing is atrocious.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
I think they both are entirely different re-tellings of this classic tale.

I'm excited for Mirror Mirror because I think Julia Roberts will play an excellent Evil Queen, and I could watch Nathan Lane read a newspaper and think I got my money's worth.

SWATH looks something more for big kids. :) Definatly darker and edgier and probably going to throw in that whole the Queen eating the heart of the pig (the heart she thinks belongs to Snow White) and I doubt Mirror Mirror will show that.

I love fairy tales and retellings, so I'm excited for both. While MM looks a little bad, it doesn't look like the massive, awkward trainwreck that Beastly was.

(BTW definatly read the book Beastly by Alex Flinn. A lovely re-telling of BATB. Just don't waste your time and money on the movie.)

fredXgeorge

I heart sexy elves and wizards.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like KStew but I think I'm more looking forward to SWATH. Can't wait to see the costumes in Mirror Mirror though. I like that they both have really different takes on the story.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
People definitely hold TWILIGHT against KS. Especially because most people never saw any of her other stuff, a lot of which was smaller, so some even assume TWILIGHT was her first film. I think she's a decent actress, she's not a chameleon or anything, but she's good in them. Aside from TWILIGHT. But then again, everybody kind of stinks in TWILIGHT. It's not their fault. Film is the director's/editor's medium. I always reference the STAR WARS prequels when people insist otherwise. I think most people think Ewan McGregor is a fine actor, but in those movies he is downright terrible. Why? The editing is atrocious.

That is really unfortunate. I loathe the Twilight franchise, but I don't hold it against the actress. I thought she rocked her portrayal of Joan Jett. I've also seen her in other things and really enjoy her performances. It's pretty ignorant that people only judge the actress based on one role/part.

I also think KStew is quite beautiful. I think she'll make an awesome Snow White.

JQTrotter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jacquelinetrotter.wordpress.com
I think Mirror Mirror looks weird... but I might give it a go once it goes to netflex/dvd. I really want to see Snow White and the Huntsmen because it looks like a really good movie (and I love the guy that plays Thor). But... I dislike Kristin Stewart.

I am one of those people that holds Twilight against her. She did chose to be in the movie, after all. I watched the first one and she had pretty much three facial expressions (most including biting her bottom lip) and I saw her in Adventureland which I didn't think she did great acting. So I haven't been sold on her and thus I avoid movies with her in it.

When I think Snow White (the girl that's the fairest of them all) KStew is not the first girl that pops into my mind. Not even close. But if we're talking gruff girl fighter I could see her playing that role. It'll take a lot of convincing for me to believe that she could possibly became prettier than Charlize Theron.

All that being said... I'm going to have to go see Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm open to KStew proving my opinion of her wrong with this film.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I am a bit annoyed with Julia Roberts in the trailer. When 'Steel Magnolias' came out I must have watched it 5 times just to see her and Sally Fields. In fact, all of the women did a great job in their roles in that move IMO

BUT, watching that trailer, I found myself a little irritated with the fact that Julia Roberts is portraying the evil queen in much the same manner that she portrays a lot of her other characters in other movies. Shes been typecast.

I will probably see both just based on the fact that one is a little more humorous while the other is a little darker portrayel with a nice little twist on who snow white actually was/is.

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
I think Mirror Mirror looks weird... but I might give it a go once it goes to netflex/dvd. I really want to see Snow White and the Huntsmen because it looks like a really good movie (and I love the guy that plays Thor). But... I dislike Kristin Stewart.

I am one of those people that holds Twilight against her. She did chose to be in the movie, after all. I watched the first one and she had pretty much three facial expressions (most including biting her bottom lip) and I saw her in Adventureland which I didn't think she did great acting. So I haven't been sold on her and thus I avoid movies with her in it.

When I think Snow White (the girl that's the fairest of them all) KStew is not the first girl that pops into my mind. Not even close. But if we're talking gruff girl fighter I could see her playing that role. It'll take a lot of convincing for me to believe that she could possibly became prettier than Charlize Theron.

All that being said... I'm going to have to go see Snow White and the Huntsman. I'm open to KStew proving my opinion of her wrong with this film.

Though I kinda agree with you, I thought she did a pretty good job portraying Joan Jett in 'The Runaways' (I think it was called that anyway LOL)

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I think most people think Ewan McGregor is a fine actor, but in those movies he is downright terrible. Why? The editing is atrocious.

I actually feel McGregor is one of those actors who find it incredibly difficult to deal with CGI and acting to green-screens. But, I think McGregor went through a spate of awful Hollywood movies. Having recently seen him in Beginners and Haywire, I think he is turning the corner.

For the OP: Honestly, I'm not planning on seeing either. I imagine my next trip to the cinema will be to see Kevin MacDonald's documentary on Bob Marley.

Belle_91

With her nose stuck in a book
Registered
Reaction score
So did anyone see Mirror Mirror over the weekend? If so, how did you like it?