PDA

View Full Version : Mystic Punk anthology seeks Subs [$100+]

MysticPunk
03-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Pay: If you don't tell me how much you want to be paid, I'll assume you're saying $25. If you ask for more, I'll consider paying more. We plan on using indiegogo to raise funds so the lower the better but amazing stories can get higher pay.

What are you selling: You are selling the rights to print the story and agreeing that you will not publish it anywhere else, online or otherwise within 1 year which could hurt sales. You are not selling away all the rights for all eternity. You keep the rights. We will publish in various formats, including physical and ebooks though POD and smashwords.

There will be no ongoing royalties. This is a one time payment.

We are looking for short fiction, between 3 and 12 thousand words, with emphasis on something towards the middle of those parameters. Your story should be Mystic Punk.

What is Mystic Punk? It's a new subgenre of Urban Fantasy that rejects the Urban Fantasy cliches. There are six basic elements:

Minorities - Urban Fantasy tends to be white and heteronormative. This isn't very true for anything else called Urban. There is no urban society in the world that is exclusively white and hetero. Your minorities can be ANY KIND OF MINORITY. They can be ethnic, gender, queer, religious, or disabled in some way. If you can think of a type of minority that isn't listed, imagine that they are. This is the most important point.

Mysticism - instead of using vampires and werewolves, Mystic Punk uses supernatural elements that connect the protagonist or reader to the spiritual through fantastic elements. This isn't magic or super powers. This is spiritual, it requires some connection to the super natural, usually through metaphor or surrealist concepts but can be "magical".

Punkness - A punk aesthetic and the punk audacity to challenge conventions, expectations and social constructs. Your story should be argumentative. It should challenge something. It should make the reader think.

Ambiguity - There should be no clear right or wrong answer to the problem the protagonist faces.

Music - This goes to an aesthetic trend and is less important than the others. This genre is musical in nature. It is inspired by music and often incorporates elements of music in the story telling.

Face Masks - Much like Cyber Punk often uses gas masks, steam punk often uses goggles, mystic punk uses face masks, face paint or environmental elements that prevent faces from being seen, change their shape or make them otherwise unrecognizable. This too is an aesthetic trend and is secondary to the first four points.

Why an Anthology? Instead of self publishing my own short stories, I want to create an awareness for a variety of writers of a similar mind. I notice that co-op groups, like Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All, are taking over the music world. They operate as individuals and as a collective. I would like to create an equivalent for the literary world. Writing, and even reading, are often solitary tasks but they do not have to be. By creating a "scene" of writers in this new genre, instead of just one master of the genre, we can reach more people, challenge more ideas, break more rules and make more money. But this doesn't mean you need to be a "Mystic Punk" writer. It just means you need to write a short story with a mystic punk style. Writers, unlike musicians, have more room when it comes to genre. Neil Gaiman can write modern fantasy, like American Gods, young adult fantasy, like Coraline, and fairytales like Stardust and no one cares. As long as you primarily write with fantastic elements, you have a way into this world.

Any similarities between your story and a published story is purely coincidental. You understand that no writers will read your stories or synopsis besides myself and any coeditors and we already have our stories. This genre has a specific definition and the likelihood of triggering similar thoughts is high.

To submit: email me a pitch that points out the different elements I laid out in your story concept. I do not want you to submit a full story just yet. We'll talk about your story before I accept or reject it. Tell me how many words it is and what you would like to be paid. Include writing credits if you have them. If you do not point out the different elements you will be rejected. Submit One story at a time. If I reject your first story, feel free to resubmit. Submitting lots of stories will get them all rejected.

mysticpunkanthology@gmail.com

defcon6000
03-20-2012, 05:14 AM
So are you paying based on how much authors ask for their story? If I were to ask for a hundred bucks for my story, you'd pay that?

I'm just wondering 'cause it's kind of unclear. There's the base pay of $25, but in the title it says $100+.

MysticPunk
03-20-2012, 06:18 AM
The $25 is to encourage a person to name their own price of what ever they think it's worth. Most of the submissions have been around $100, some have been more. If I think the idea is worth more, I am willing to raise the goal of the indiegogo project for it.

Silver-Midnight
03-20-2012, 10:11 AM
When is the deadline or last day to submit?

MysticPunk
03-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Sorry! April 2nd.

backslashbaby
03-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Man! Too soon, damnit. This sounds really interesting!

MysticPunk
03-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Man! Too soon, damnit. This sounds really interesting!

If you come up with an idea, shoot me an e-mail. You don't have to submit a full story just your idea and we'll go from there.

MysticPunk
03-23-2012, 12:30 PM
We still need about six more entries. We're going to IndieGogo on April 2, if you submit after that, we may still take your submission but you'll be capped at $100 so we can control and predict the budget.

FoamyRules
03-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Could you elaborate on this

Mysticism - instead of using vampires and werewolves, Mystic Punk uses supernatural elements that connect the protagonist or reader to the spiritual through fantastic elements. This isn't magic or super powers. This is spiritual, it requires some connection to the super natural, usually through metaphor or surrealist concepts but can be "magical".

I have some ideas but want to make sure I have it right before I send you the email. This seems interesting :)

Bartholomew
03-25-2012, 07:38 AM
I'll be submitting something in the next few days.

MysticPunk
03-25-2012, 09:12 AM
Could you elaborate on this

I have some ideas but want to make sure I have it right before I send you the email. This seems interesting :)

I can, and I'll use examples.

Mysticism is experiencing the metaphysical or spiritual realm, the "other side" of the life experience. Death is not the opposite to life, there is another, deeper opposite to life that is hard to put into words. You can tie it to religion or magic, but it usually works better if it's left as it's own entity.

Example: The Crow is one of my biggest influences and is clear example. Eric Draven exists, through most of the movie, as having one foot in the physical world and one in the spiritual world. He is tied, not by magic or religion, but by something close to both of them that is embodied in the spirit guide of the Crow. At the beginning, Sarah says that people used to believe that souls were carried from one world to the other on the backs of the crow. This is both Religion and Magic.

The film (and the comic even more so) examines life itself: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is for ever" is the answer to how do you stop mourning someone?

Ways you can use the mystical element are by having people be tied to the alternate, deeper world through some form of magic like Eric or you can have the world effect the person on a level that goes further than most (like Edgar Allen Poe). Or something in between. It should be unexplained or inexplicable.

Hope this helps!

MysticPunk
03-25-2012, 09:14 AM
I'll be submitting something in the next few days.

Awesome!

Sweetwheat
03-25-2012, 09:44 AM
very very interesting.
And will you do this again, later on?

FoamyRules
03-25-2012, 09:52 AM
I can, and I'll use examples.

Mysticism is experiencing the metaphysical or spiritual realm, the "other side" of the life experience. Death is not the opposite to life, there is another, deeper opposite to life that is hard to put into words. You can tie it to religion or magic, but it usually works better if it's left as it's own entity.

Example: The Crow is one of my biggest influences and is clear example. Eric Draven exists, through most of the movie, as having one foot in the physical world and one in the spiritual world. He is tied, not by magic or religion, but by something close to both of them that is embodied in the spirit guide of the Crow. At the beginning, Sarah says that people used to believe that souls were carried from one world to the other on the backs of the crow. This is both Religion and Magic.

The film (and the comic even more so) examines life itself: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is for ever" is the answer to how do you stop mourning someone?

Ways you can use the mystical element are by having people be tied to the alternate, deeper world through some form of magic like Eric or you can have the world effect the person on a level that goes further than most (like Edgar Allen Poe). Or something in between. It should be unexplained or inexplicable.

Hope this helps!
It does thank you :) and since I noted earlier in your response to backslashbaby that you'll take ideas and whatnot (basically don't need to sub the entire story) I'll be sending an email real soon :)

MysticPunk
03-25-2012, 11:41 AM
very very interesting.
And will you do this again, later on?

I'd like to. It depends, of course, on how well this one goes.

MysticPunk
03-25-2012, 11:44 AM
It does thank you :) and since I noted earlier in your response to backslashbaby that you'll take ideas and whatnot (basically don't need to sub the entire story) I'll be sending an email real soon :)

Looking forward to it!

Bartholomew
03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
You have my query. =)

Bart

Bartholomew
03-26-2012, 04:24 AM
He liked my query. Fingers are crossed about the actual manuscript. I've finished a final edit; now I'm just letting it settle for a day and getting my Beta's reaction.

:)

enchantedsleeper
03-28-2012, 01:55 AM
He liked my query. Fingers are crossed about the actual manuscript. I've finished a final edit; now I'm just letting it settle for a day and getting my Beta's reaction.

Lucky you!! I'm currently writing the best pitch I can for my idea. X3

defcon6000
03-28-2012, 08:54 AM
The thing that worries me is that the publisher doesn't have the money yet; it has to be raised. What happens if you aren't able raise enough money?

I'd feel better if the publisher had the money already in their pocket, or at least a good chunk of it, so there isn't any scrambling to pay authors off.

MysticPunk
03-28-2012, 12:10 PM
The thing that worries me is that the publisher doesn't have the money yet; it has to be raised. What happens if you aren't able raise enough money?

I'd feel better if the publisher had the money already in their pocket, or at least a good chunk of it, so there isn't any scrambling to pay authors off.

We're not collecting the stories until we get the money. If we don't get the money, there is no project. Because indiegogo uses perks (like kickstarter) and presale versions of the book to raise the funds, we figure it'll be easier to raise the money with a list of expected contributions, stories and so on.

If you don't think it's worth submitting, it's cool. We're hoping that we get a good level of interest in this project so we can do more in the future. You can submit then, if you like.

MysticPunk
03-28-2012, 12:11 PM

I'm sure it'll be great. And, there is always editing if it isn't quite great yet. Your pitch was solid, so we're good.

Debbie V
03-29-2012, 03:01 AM
This sounds really cool, but the story I'm thinking of is only 2,850 words. Too short. Drat.

MysticPunk
03-29-2012, 09:32 AM
The word count rule isn't hard and fast.

RedStringSoul
03-29-2012, 09:03 PM
Love the concept -- wish I had a story ready to sub but gotta keep an eye out for this :)

FoamyRules
03-30-2012, 03:58 AM
Well, I sent in a pitch. It's still a developing idea, but we'll wait and see :)

enchantedsleeper
03-30-2012, 04:07 PM
After we write the story, do you want it polished as much as possible before we send it to you, or would you be interested in seeing more of a draft version so that you could guide the direction of the edits?

I'm excited for Monday ^^

MysticPunk
03-31-2012, 10:57 AM
After we write the story, do you want it polished as much as possible before we send it to you, or would you be interested in seeing more of a draft version so that you could guide the direction of the edits?

I'm excited for Monday ^^

polish it up as much as possible.

Debbie V
03-31-2012, 10:25 PM
Pitch sent here too. Crossing fingers for everyone that your work is accepted and that the funding goal is reached. Good luck.

Bartholomew
04-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Nothing makes me hate one of my own stories like declaring it "done." :)

MysticPunk
04-04-2012, 01:31 AM
We're a few days behind because of a death in my family but we're up on indiegogo now. I'll be posting a video later this week. Please help us spread the word! http://igg.me/p/86425?a=520944

Debbie V
04-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Sorry for your loss. Good luck with the fundraising.

FoamyRules
04-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Sorry for the loss as well :( and will be spreading the word. Going to twitter now.

enchantedsleeper
04-05-2012, 02:01 AM
My condolences :( I've been plugging the campaign and the idea of Mystic Punk wherever I can think of.

By the way, are you planning to sell the anthology in either physical or ebook format on a site such as Amazon after the campaign ends? Only I came across this shopping site which is dedicated specifically to selling products that have seen success as a result of crowdfunding campaigns, and thought it might be of interest. http://www.tinylightbulbs.com/

Bartholomew
04-09-2012, 03:29 AM
My condolences, Mystic. Losing someone sucks, every time.

#

I think the idea of creating a new genre is... unequivocally awesome, so I'm really happy to see my name on that Indiegogo page. :)

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-09-2012, 11:56 AM
Oh, this looks great! I know there's a great story in my head, but I need to let it age in my head like a fine wine. But I do have a few questions on the themes of the genre.

Minorities - The religion aspect has me interested, as I've been wanting to play my hand at some writing that involves Neopaganism, and the whole spiritual aspect will play in great. But as far as asking about minorities, would the mentally ill count as a minority group?

Music - Exactly what do you mean by 'music'? We can't really include sound in the written word, so what is it you mean by music within the story?

MysticPunk
04-09-2012, 11:42 PM
My condolences :( I've been plugging the campaign and the idea of Mystic Punk wherever I can think of.

By the way, are you planning to sell the anthology in either physical or ebook format on a site such as Amazon after the campaign ends? Only I came across this shopping site which is dedicated specifically to selling products that have seen success as a result of crowdfunding campaigns, and thought it might be of interest. http://www.tinylightbulbs.com/

I'm going to be selling it, yes. I'll check that site out.

Hopefully we get the money, no luck yet. :( I'm working on a video, which should help. I'm also planning on hitting up the rich old people at my church (of which there are many).

MysticPunk
04-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Oh, this looks great! I know there's a great story in my head, but I need to let it age in my head like a fine wine. But I do have a few questions on the themes of the genre.

Minorities - The religion aspect has me interested, as I've been wanting to play my hand at some writing that involves Neopaganism, and the whole spiritual aspect will play in great. But as far as asking about minorities, would the mentally ill count as a minority group?

Music - Exactly what do you mean by 'music'? We can't really include sound in the written word, so what is it you mean by music within the story?

Mentally Ill can be a minority, yes. Treat it right, though. I hate when I read stuff about mental illnesses I know first hand and they are dishonest or miss the pain behind the illness.

Handicaps are a minority too. I'd really like to see someone who is neurologically different (like, on the autism spectrum) who is not a super genius.

A few weeks back, I woke up with a song in my head that I had never heard before. It was a song that a character sang in a book. Use music how ever you want. If you can't figure it out, omit it. It's just an interesting tool. I think music, I think ART in general, is way more spiritual than anything else in the world so I figure it would be awesome to include it - even in a small way - in your writing. If you write like you're writing music, if you listen to music while you're writing, if you use the energy of music in the context of a story or if your character is a musician, it'll probably be enough.

In the crow, which I think is the best example of the genre outside of the genre, Eric Draven plays the guitar on the roof tops. He tells Sarah who he is by quoting his own song. My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult and another band play music live at the club that Top Dollar owns.

enchantedsleeper
04-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I can see that you've changed up the available perks and levels of donation a bit, but can I suggest something? Why not make a paperback copy of the book available to donors at a lower level than $100? At the moment you're effectively valuing the paperback copy of the book at $100. I know that it's a "donation" and what you receive from it is a "perk", but in my experience people's decisions to contribute at different levels of a crowdfunding campaign are based almost entirely on what they're going to get back from it. So often people will decide that they want a physical copy of the book that's on offer, and then they'll look for the donor level which will get them that reward. But if it's such a high amount, they're going to decide it's not worth it.

Why not make a physical copy of the book available at the $25 donor level instead? At the moment I can't see much else motivating people to donate $25 to the project rather than $15 (not to knock the value of a personalised email, but...) And I think a lot of people will want a physical copy. I'm planning to promote this project to my family and friends of the family, who will doubtless want a copy of the book, but very few of them would have any use for an eBook copy or even know what to do with it. When they hear "published" many people still think of a physical book and anything less than that will seem like a disappointment.

Since you said that there were almost no upfront printing costs for the book, surely there'd be very little to lose from it and a lot to potentially gain?

veinglory
04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
I contribute to Kickstarter book all the time but in almost every case it is to get an ebook (up to $10) or paperback (up to $20).

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-10-2012, 08:36 PM
That's sort of what I was thinking too, that $100 is a lot of money for a book. I think a book for a $25 donation will draw a lot more donors.

Once you do that, try posting in the Self-Promotion thread. Also, as a student of advertising and PR, might I suggest seeking out Urban Fantasy forums and maybe even writing groups for minorities to promote your book. Look at who the main characters are and seek out their democrafic. Lots of cultural subgroups are very enthused to have stories written about them.

MysticPunk
04-11-2012, 12:39 AM
I can see that you've changed up the available perks and levels of donation a bit, but can I suggest something? Why not make a paperback copy of the book available to donors at a lower level than $100? At the moment you're effectively valuing the paperback copy of the book at $100. I know that it's a "donation" and what you receive from it is a "perk", but in my experience people's decisions to contribute at different levels of a crowdfunding campaign are based almost entirely on what they're going to get back from it. So often people will decide that they want a physical copy of the book that's on offer, and then they'll look for the donor level which will get them that reward. But if it's such a high amount, they're going to decide it's not worth it.

Why not make a physical copy of the book available at the $25 donor level instead? At the moment I can't see much else motivating people to donate $25 to the project rather than $15 (not to knock the value of a personalised email, but...) And I think a lot of people will want a physical copy. I'm planning to promote this project to my family and friends of the family, who will doubtless want a copy of the book, but very few of them would have any use for an eBook copy or even know what to do with it. When they hear "published" many people still think of a physical book and anything less than that will seem like a disappointment.

Since you said that there were almost no upfront printing costs for the book, surely there'd be very little to lose from it and a lot to potentially gain?

I initially planned on doing it at a value of the book instead of at a high perk but I don't want to have to fill physical books and not be able to pay everybody if I don't make the goal. If a paper back costs $10 and I sell it at $25, I'll needto sell 200, which will drive the total funds up another $2k. I won't be able to fill the orders and pay everybody. It's not an all or nothing campaign, which means that even if I don't reach the goal, I'm getting some of the money and have to fill orders. I was hoping the price disparity would draw more lower end donations but that doesn't seem to be working.

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-11-2012, 12:58 AM
Maybe lower the e-books or offer art that can be sent digitally. Those would be free, and I bet some artist would be willing to contribute some free art. I study art at my school, and I might be able to convince some people to offer some quick pieces. It would get their names out there and most of them do internships for free anyway.

As long as you say what kind of thing you're looking for.

enchantedsleeper
04-12-2012, 04:29 AM
I initially planned on doing it at a value of the book instead of at a high perk but I don't want to have to fill physical books and not be able to pay everybody if I don't make the goal. If a paper back costs $10 and I sell it at $25, I'll needto sell 200, which will drive the total funds up another $2k. I won't be able to fill the orders and pay everybody. It's not an all or nothing campaign, which means that even if I don't reach the goal, I'm getting some of the money and have to fill orders. I was hoping the price disparity would draw more lower end donations but that doesn't seem to be working.

I don't quite follow how that works. Why would you need to sell 200 copies?

I agree about lowering the price of the ebooks as well. $10 tends to be about average for an ebook in a crowdfunding campaign, and $20-25 for a physical copy. Spy_on_the_Inside's idea with the art is a good one, and offering signed copies of books for extra money is very common. It's a pretty easy way to raise extra cash, just by scrawling your name in the inside cover. Offering a handwritten personalised thank-you inside a physical copy of the book, rather than a thank-you email or typed letter, that would also carry a lot more weight.

Spy_on_the_Inside made some solid suggestions about places to promote Mystic Punk. The problem with crowdfunding campaigns is that they tend to work best if you have a ready-made audience in place, say from a regularly-updated webcomic or online fiction. If not, then you have to do some spectacular legwork in order to make up for it.

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-12-2012, 09:31 AM
Another thing you could offer is a little ebook thing of interviews with all the authors. That's another thing that would be free. Maybe some of the more artistic authors would be willing to offer 'authentic' illistrations from their stories. It's always such a big deal when an author draws a map or a character themselves. The most authentic picture, after all.

MysticPunk
04-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I don't quite follow how that works. Why would you need to sell 200 copies?

I agree about lowering the price of the ebooks as well. $10 tends to be about average for an ebook in a crowdfunding campaign, and $20-25 for a physical copy. Spy_on_the_Inside's idea with the art is a good one, and offering signed copies of books for extra money is very common. It's a pretty easy way to raise extra cash, just by scrawling your name in the inside cover. Offering a handwritten personalised thank-you inside a physical copy of the book, rather than a thank-you email or typed letter, that would also carry a lot more weight.

Spy_on_the_Inside made some solid suggestions about places to promote Mystic Punk. The problem with crowdfunding campaigns is that they tend to work best if you have a ready-made audience in place, say from a regularly-updated webcomic or online fiction. If not, then you have to do some spectacular legwork in order to make up for it.

200 copies at $15 profit ($10 would go to printing) = $3000, but, at the same time, $2000 of that would be the pressing, so I'd only have $1000 to pay the writers which isn't enough. If I need $3k for paying (I'm not quite there yet but we're very close to it), I'd need $2k for the books and my actual total would be $5k, which means I'd need to sell more, which would drive up the price / end goal.

And if I only sell say, 15 books, I wouldn't have enough to pay more than one or two of the lower paid writers, not to mention my co-editor, the website or promotion.

We're going to put the physical book down to $40, though, explain this on the page, and put the ebook down to $10 like suggested. If we sell 100 physical books with $30 profit, we'll only need to sell 100 to meet our goal, which will cost about $1000. Hopefully we'll also get more with the ebooks and other perks to cover the difference. But, even $40 is a lot so my partner and I are trying to come up with other stuff to add to the perk list.

MysticPunk
04-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Maybe lower the e-books or offer art that can be sent digitally. Those would be free, and I bet some artist would be willing to contribute some free art. I study art at my school, and I might be able to convince some people to offer some quick pieces. It would get their names out there and most of them do internships for free anyway.

As long as you say what kind of thing you're looking for.

If you could pass along the email address mysticpunkanthology@gmail.com that would be great. You've got a lot of good ideas. We're going to be using many of them. Thanks!

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-12-2012, 12:12 PM
I could probably get a lot of people interested, but you should probably give me an idea of what kind of art you want; soecific subjects and styles. You don't want a bunch of still lifes of rabbits and violets, after all.

MysticPunk
04-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I could probably get a lot of people interested, but you should probably give me an idea of what kind of art you want; soecific subjects and styles. You don't want a bunch of still lifes of rabbits and violets, after all.

I would want it to be genre related, so the six specific elements I mentioned before would be the guidelines. Thanks!

What is Mystic Punk? It's a new subgenre of Urban Fantasy that rejects the Urban Fantasy cliches. There are six basic elements:

Minorities - Urban Fantasy tends to be white and heteronormative. This isn't very true for anything else called Urban. There is no urban society in the world that is exclusively white and hetero. Your minorities can be ANY KIND OF MINORITY. They can be ethnic, gender, queer, religious, or disabled in some way. If you can think of a type of minority that isn't listed, imagine that they are. This is the most important point.

Punkness - A punk aesthetic and the punk audacity to challenge conventions, expectations and social constructs. Your story should be argumentative. It should challenge something. It should make the reader think.

Ambiguity - There should be no clear right or wrong answer to the problem the protagonist faces.

Music - This goes to an aesthetic trend and is less important than the others. This genre is musical in nature. It is inspired by music and often incorporates elements of music in the story telling.

Face Masks - Much like Cyber Punk often uses gas masks, steam punk often uses goggles, mystic punk uses face masks, face paint or environmental elements that prevent faces from being seen, change their shape or make them otherwise unrecognizable. This too is an aesthetic trend and is secondary to the first four points.

enchantedsleeper
04-12-2012, 03:35 PM
200 copies at $15 profit ($10 would go to printing) = $3000, but, at the same time, $2000 of that would be the pressing, so I'd only have $1000 to pay the writers which isn't enough. If I need $3k for paying (I'm not quite there yet but we're very close to it), I'd need $2k for the books and my actual total would be $5k, which means I'd need to sell more, which would drive up the price / end goal.

And if I only sell say, 15 books, I wouldn't have enough to pay more than one or two of the lower paid writers, not to mention my co-editor, the website or promotion.

We're going to put the physical book down to $40, though, explain this on the page, and put the ebook down to $10 like suggested. If we sell 100 physical books with $30 profit, we'll only need to sell 100 to meet our goal, which will cost about $1000. Hopefully we'll also get more with the ebooks and other perks to cover the difference. But, even $40 is a lot so my partner and I are trying to come up with other stuff to add to the perk list.

I see. But that's assuming that your entire profit were to come from the books, right? Which hopefully won't be the case. X3

Maybe you could bump the $15 level up to $20 or so (since it seems like there's a large gap at the moment between the $15 and $40 level) by offering some of Spy_on_the_Inside's digital artwork along with it.

eBook interviews with the writers is a brilliant idea! I'd do one! And story-related artwork and illustrations - I was actually planning to do a sketch of the Mirror World from my story anyway, to help me get a feel for the environment. I'm not the greatest artist but if you wanted to offer a compilation of such illustrations, I'd happily put mine forward.

MysticPunk
04-14-2012, 08:45 AM
I am working on adding some other perks, so if you want to contribute to the let me know!

We've added a soundtrack to the perk that includes the book to help with the $40.

And we got our first donation of a dollar!

bearilou
04-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Shoot, I missed the deadline.

Still, I'll be watching this thread and cheering you on, MysticPunk. I hope this endeavor takes off fabulously for you.

enchantedsleeper
04-15-2012, 09:39 PM
By the way, how much will a hardback copy of the anthology actually cost to produce? Because you need to bring the donation level down on those ones as well. $500 and $1000, I really can't see anyone donating that much for a hardback copy of an anthology they won't have heard of. Even if it is a 'one-of-a-kind collectors item', I would value it at $100 tops. You can't afford to assume that people will care about the project enough in order to donate that much; you have to make them care by offering them something that's worth their money.

I would advise bringing the level of the postcards down, too. You're making a pretty big assumption that your donors will like or even know about Sandman, let alone pay $100 for a Sandman postcard that you yourself clearly don't want (I know they get the book as well, but you're still valuing the postcard at upwards of $50). And a homemade postcard is nice, but what could possibly make it worth donating $500?

I don't really know what to make of the $75 donor level either. Why would anyone donating that specific amount have to be in your local area? There are donor levels above that one. And what happens if they aren't? You're making a lot of risky assumptions with that as well.

I would really suggest that you reorder your perks to something like this:

$15 - ebook copy of the anthology + digital artwork
$30 - paperback copy of the anthology
$40 - signed paperback copy of the anthology + Mystic Punk soundtrack
$75 - hardback copy of the anthology + ebook interviews with the writers (+ Mystic Punk soundtrack, I suppose)
$100 - signed hardback copy of the anthology + homemade/Sandman postcard + physical copy of the Mystic Punk soundtrack (it should be easy to burn them on some blank CDs and mail them out to people)
$150 - one-of-a-kind signed hardback copy with personalised dedication, bonus story plus perks from previous donor levels.

You don't have to do them exactly like this but it is my strong suggestion that you bring your upper-end donation levels down and boost the lower ones somewhat. I hope I don't seem overly critical by suggesting all of this. I think you have a brilliant idea and I really want the campaign to succeed, but at the moment I think some changes need to be made before it will.

Bartholomew
04-15-2012, 11:01 PM
EnchantedSleeper has some sound ideas. I think you ought to give them some serious consideration.

enchantedsleeper
04-20-2012, 04:20 AM
*crickets chirp* Well, I tried x3

L.D., what's your contingency plan for if we go through this entire campaign without raising more than $1? Will you start a new one? Or say two people came along and donated $10 each - not remotely enough to fund the campaign, but both of them are expecting ebooks. Do they get the money back if the campaign doesn't succeed? Or do they lose the cash regardless and get nothing in return?

veinglory
04-20-2012, 04:32 AM
Kickstarter only collects the money if the project gets its target amount.

Silver-Midnight
04-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Shoot, I missed the deadline.

Still, I'll be watching this thread and cheering you on, MysticPunk. I hope this endeavor takes off fabulously for you.

Same here.

Also congrats to all who got into the anthology.

enchantedsleeper
04-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Kickstarter only collects the money if the project gets its target amount.

This isn't Kickstarter. It's Indiegogo and I seem to remember reading somewhere that the funds go through anyway.

veinglory
04-20-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh, I wouldn't touch that. One more reason to stick with Kickstarter.

enchantedsleeper
04-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Hey guys. L.D. Robwell has let me know that he isn't able to respond to queries posted in this thread at the moment so if people could direct questions and comments to him via email (mysticpunkanthology@gmail.com) he would greatly appreciate it.

Russ Mars
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
MysticPunk, do you still need stories, or have submissions reached saturation point? If you need more, how long might that situation continue?