PDA

View Full Version : Intentionally Blank

Ergo
03-18-2012, 08:12 PM
For those who have worked with Lulu or CreateSpace, will they automatically insert a blank page (if needed) at the end of a chapter so that your next chapter begins on the right hand side?

Or is is necessary to designate THIS PAGE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK.

My concern arises because what appears as a page in microsoft word may not necessarily equate a page in a book.

Thank you in advance for your kind guidance.

Respectfully,

Ergo

BenPanced
03-18-2012, 11:49 PM
I've only used Lulu a couple times for free proof copies but from what I remember, you need to insert the blank pages yourself. You don't need to add the "intentionally left blank" disclaimer, however.

BrokenSword
03-19-2012, 12:02 AM
I've worked with both and typically upload a PDF, which means you're going to get what you see. I have done both; to leave a blank page so my chapters all begin on the right, and have let my chapters flow no matter which side of the novel they land upon. PDFs will give you a good visual of what you'll get. It helped me in finding where/if/when my footer and header info was missing or not.

Ergo
03-19-2012, 04:05 AM
Thank you for your kind replies. I can see the wisdom of going with a pdf.

I trust that a 12 pt. font in word, when reduced to a book page, is still legible.

merrihiatt
03-19-2012, 04:57 AM
Nothing is reduced. You may be getting a bit confused with e-books, which are converted and changes can occur. With CreateSpace, you submit a .pdf file, so it will look exactly the way you format it. If there is a blank page in your Word file, there will be a blank page in the .pdf. If you used the space bar rather than tabs or hit enter twice rather than setting your line spacing, these things don't matter. With an e-book conversion, all those things matter.

If you insert a page break and leave it blank, you will achieve your desired effect. With CreateSpace you will also be able to view the preview so you can double check the layout.

Old Hack
03-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Create your PDF exactly as you want the printed book to appear. Make it the same size as your book, put in the blank pages where you want blank pages to happen, and so on. CreateSpace and Lulu won't change anything for you, they'll just print the file you provide, exactly as you provide it.

LittleKiwi
04-13-2012, 11:54 PM
I know (because I've heard friends bitching about it) that Createspace provides a template document which you can use to format your book. It is the correct size for the trim you choose so the pages in you book will appear exactly as they do in your file. Therefore, if you include the warning, it too will be printed.

jairey
04-14-2012, 01:47 AM
I know (because I've heard friends bitching about it) that Createspace provides a template document which you can use to format your book. It is the correct size for the trim you choose so the pages in you book will appear exactly as they do in your file. Therefore, if you include the warning, it too will be printed.

Adding to this: the font size in the pdf will not be changed on printing. As others have said, what you see is what gets printed. There's a book available on formatting, font size, line spacing etc. from one of the major contributors on the CreateSpace forums -- it's very helpful. Now, Createspace will add a page at the end with their bar code and "printed in USA" info. That will be a left-side page and the "front" will be blank. But they don't add any other pages to your layout.

Jean