Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of discussions on AW lately about paid-for reviews, and I think it's a subject worth investigating more fully. I know it's been thrashed out before, here, for example, and here; but we seem to have only talked about it in relation to specific publications, or specific services, and if possible I'd like to avoid such specifics and instead consider if paying for reviews can ever be a good idea, and if so, under what circumstances.

As I see it, paid-for reviews are not impartial, and so can't be trusted to be a fair analysis of the books under discussion. If you pay for a review, the person who reviews your book has a vested interest in pleasing you, and what better way to please you than to write a glowing review of your book?

Looking at the transaction from the other side: when you buy something, you have certain expectations and rights--you don't just ask a shop for a pair of trousers and happily take home whatever style, colour and size the shop wants to give you. Not only would this be unreasonable, you have legal protection to prevent that happening; so if you buy a review, it could be argued that it should be the sort of review you want.

However.

The number of established venues which review books for free is decreasing, while the number which offer paid-for reviews seems to be increasing, and writers are buying those reviews.

Reviewers do have to earn a living; it costs money to run any sort of publication, even if it's a blog which is ostensibly run for free. I know how much work reviewing is (check out the link in my signature). I have more review requests than I can cope with, and I'd be able to review a lot more books if I earned money from doing so which would benefit (I use that word loosely--again, check out my link) more writers in the long run.

Is paying for reviews an effective use of our money? Is it an ethical way to proceed? And would you do it? Discuss.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Part of it depends upon the writer's goals with publication.

Like, I see it as being slightly analogous to self-publishing vs traditional publishing. If your goal is to have a physical copy of your book in your hands, self-pub all the way. Great, mission accomplished. But if you want to be a Serious Author and buy a physical copy of your book from your local brick & mortar store, it's probably a really bad idea to self-publish.

Likewise, if you just want some book reviews, pay for 'em. If you want your book reviews to come from sources that are well-respected, write the book that'll get 'em.

I doubt a lot of Orange Prize winners paid for www. ratemybook . com (dunno if that's even a real thing) to review their novels.

(Ethically, I think writers who pay for reviews would do well to look at Consumer Reports' business model. With some exceptions, it's a publication of great integrity.)

Interesting question! I look forward to seeing where this goes.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I didn't even know such a thing as paid-for reviews existed and I'm struggling to think of how this could be a good idea.

I have a book coming out in October so I'm interested to see how this discussion develops, to see some arguments in favor. Thanks for raising the issue, Old Hack. :)

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Derp- I should have read the links first.

Old Hack, is this specific to paying for Amazon-esque reviews, or does it encumbered things like this?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
HoneyBadger, it most definitely does include things like the link you provided.

What do you think about the value involved in paying for the reviews listed there? How do you think it would increase the book's exposure? Does anyone who isn't a hopeful self-published writer read self-publishing review blogs? Does anyone get their money's worth from such services?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I seem to recall recently reading somewhere -can't pin it down - that a client paying for one of these reviews could request the deletion of what he considered unfavourable comment.

Seems to me that paying for a review stated to be 'positive' even before it's written is nothing less than advertising under the pretence of reviewing.

Is it worth it? I don't know how even the requesting client could connect sales to a paid for review but personally I don't attach much significance to the reviews posted under self-pubbed books and prefer to check the sample pages instead.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't, but there are a ton of review sites that my publishers send my stuff out to be reviewed.

As a reader I wouldn't take any paid review seriously.

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any obvious way a browsing reader can distinguish between a paid-for and free review?

I wouldn't, but there are a ton of review sites that my publishers send my stuff out to be reviewed.

As a reader I wouldn't take any paid review seriously.

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't even know such a thing as paid-for reviews existed and I'm struggling to think of how this could be a good idea.

It isn't a good idea. It exists, but so do a lot of other scummy things in this world. Call me old-fashioned, or call me :censored.

I would not participate in such a deal, on either end.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I would not participate in something like this. I'd rather my book goes unreviewed than to do something I feel is unethical.

I also believe that all paid reviews should be designated as such. It's unfair to the buying public to trick them into thinking these are unbiased opinions. These are nothing more than commercials hiding behind the veneer of honesty.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Does anyone who isn't a hopeful self-published writer read self-publishing review blogs?

*raises hand*

But I read blogs like yours and PODdymouth's because I know they're honest about the flaws in books (the same goes for review sites like AAR and Smart Bitches when it comes to commercially published books).

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I've been chewing this over since you posted it, Old Hack. The pay-for-five-stars one is easy. Never ever.

The one where you pay for an unbiased review smacks less of arrogance and dishonesty, but it still doesn't sit well. Still, I can understand that it's frustrating to see your book languish with no or few reviews. I don't think I'd ever do it, though.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I, personally, don't think the venues for free review are declining, online small press and self-publishing venues has just increased demand.

Deleted member 42

The best way for a self-published author to garner reviews is to participate in the conversation--not just in order to pimp her book--and interact with the community of readers (not just authors).

So have the book in you sig, have a blog, create Author profile pages on Amazon and GoodReads, and LibraryThing. Comment on threads about your genre--and review other people's books that you genuinely like, without expectation of recompense.

Being known as a reader will help you be known as a writer.

Participate in giveaways via blogs and sites like GoodReads.

There are a lot of review blogs who will accept self-published books for review.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any obvious way a browsing reader can distinguish between a paid-for and free review?

Probably not unless it's obvious like a link to the pay site who left the review. I've actually seen this on Amazon before.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
If the author is paying for guaranteed-positive reviews, it's fraud. They're trying to manipulate public perception to boost sales--i.e. game the system to trick people out of their money. Fraud.

If the review is impartial, but paid for, then what the author is really paying for is exposure. That strikes me as legitimate.

However, I think the site should clearly state its policy in that regard, for its own protection. They don't want anyone pointing a finger of blame at them due to a partial understanding of the facts. They also want to have a clear defence against authors who complain about an honest, but negative review.

I agree there's a potential conflict of interest for the review site. An author is unlikely to become a repeat customer if their book gets a negative review the first time.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting. I never thought about it in that way. I've been thinking about this and I still feel that when you pay for reviews, two things happen, each with the same result:
- Either the reviewer feels compelled to give you a good rating because you paid them money for their review.
- Or it's like a bribe--here's fifty bucks. I want a five star review.

Both have the same result: a good review.

I really hate when people flaunt Kirkus Indie reviews. I have a few friends who do, and who have truly excellent books, but I can't help but think: did you REALLY pay for that review?

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
If the review is impartial, but paid for, then what the author is really paying for is exposure. That strikes me as legitimate.

I agree with this, but don't you think a well-intentioned reviewer would feel somewhat compelled to produce a positive review because they were paid to review the book? Or is that just me?

Bufty

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Well-intentioned' to me means honest, and paying a professional for a report usually means seeking exposure of the good, the bad and the ugly.

Any outside industry professional not examining any generally accepted element in the reporting brief or only covering specific elements would normally say so in his report.

I agree with this, but don't you think a well-intentioned reviewer would feel somewhat compelled to produce a positive review because they were paid to review the book? Or is that just me?

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com

If I were being paid to review books, I'd still be blunt about what didn't work. Then again, no one ever accused me of having good intentions. :evil

The problem with being paid, for me, is that my positive reviews would become suspect. Right now, if I praise a book or film on my blog, readers know I'm telling the truth. If I'm being paid, how can they be certain that I really did enjoy the book or film?

AlishaS

Is swimming with creativity frogs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.averyolive.blogspot.com
I wouldn't pay for a review, nor would I take one seriously if I knew it was paid for.

I think it's manpulitive for someone to pay for a "good" review in order to boost sales.

Same goes for family reviews. I know some people do it and my family has told me they would do it for me... is to go rate my book five stars just because they want to "help"

It's not helping. I want my reviews to be honest and I want them to come from actual readers who have taken the time to actually read my book.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
For the record, I've been offered money on more than one occasion to review books on my blog. A couple of times I've been asked if paying something would make my reviews appear faster; more times than that, I've been asked if paying for reviews can guarantee a good one.

I've refused every offer of money I've received. It wouldn't be right to take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.