PDA

View Full Version : 21 Jump Street [Movie] *Contains Spoilers*

gothicangel
03-16-2012, 11:05 PM
Anyone else going to see this?

I just saw it tonight. Enjoyed it a lot, very funny. With an excellent cameo by Jonny Depp.

I would warn that it contains a lot of adult humour, so not suitable for the young 'uns.

Somehow I missed the original series as a kid. I'm thinking about buying the first season. Is it recommended?

Shadow_Ferret
03-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I don't remember the original being a comedy.

So if they turned it into one, then I have no intention of ever seeing it.

Jamiekswriter
03-16-2012, 11:13 PM
I enjoyed the series. It was the 80's so keep that in mind, but Johnny Depp was crushtastic in a "Crybaby" sort of way and Dom Deluise's son Peter was in it too and he was pretty hunky. It was a cool (to me) show. I wanted to be the detectives undercover in the high school. I think the movie is really different because in the TV show they were serious and good cops -- not jokers or slackers.

Shadow_Ferret
03-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Johnny Depp in that show is the reason I went and got my ear pierced back then. I figured if he could look cool with one, then I could too. :D

veinglory
03-16-2012, 11:51 PM
As a person who was fond of the original and serious Jump Street, I'll pass. Between this and Dark Shadows it seems like everything I liked as a kid is being redone as a complete joke. That makes me kind of sad. I wish they'd just done it is a new movie, not danced on the corpse of the old show.

gothicangel
03-17-2012, 12:02 AM
As a person who was fond of the original and serious Jump Street, I'll pass. Between this and Dark Shadows it seems like everything I liked as a kid is being redone as a complete joke. That makes me kind of sad. I wish they'd just done it is a new movie, not danced on the corpse of the old show.

The film actually contains a very funny speech about exactly this. The movie is quite self-referential.

veinglory
03-17-2012, 12:04 AM
I am sure it is. But not in a way I am interested in.

thekingsguard
03-18-2012, 07:54 AM
I can't stand Jonah Hill, and seeing that movies like this have to be produced by him for him to get a role, that should be awfully telling. Pity he had to wreck a classic franchise like this.

Celia Cyanide
03-18-2012, 08:11 AM
I thought the original 21 Jump Street was one of the worst TV shows ever made. I only came to respect Johnny Depp when he started working with John Waters and Tim Burton, and I read a couple interviews with him. He didn't come right out and say it, but I could tell he hated 21 Jump Street even more than I did. It was a job to him, but not the one he wanted to have.

Shadow_Ferret
03-19-2012, 11:06 PM
Worst? I don't think so. Was it Shakespearean? Hardly. Sure it had a silly premise, but it was still handlEd well and it was a fun action show reminiscent of The Lod Squad. And it deserves better treatment than this.

I'm in agreement with veinglory. I don't understand the current trend of revisiting some classic shows only to give them such heavy handed treatment.

cmi0616
03-20-2012, 12:45 AM
Saw it yesterday. Expectations were very low going in, but I have to say, I haven't seen a movie that funny in a very, very, very long time. It wasn't what you'd call a "clever" movie, but it was hysterical and definitely worth seeing.

Celia Cyanide
03-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Worst? I don't think so. Was it Shakespearean? Hardly. Sure it had a silly premise, but it was still handlEd well and it was a fun action show reminiscent of The Lod Squad. And it deserves better treatment than this.

I think it deserves to be made fun of. Sorry. :)

Shadow_Ferret
03-20-2012, 05:16 AM
Seems we disagree on that point then.

Celia Cyanide
03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
I just heard Johnny Depp agreed to do the cameo on the condition that his character be killed off. :)

BenPanced
03-20-2012, 09:04 AM

I'm in agreement with veinglory. I don't understand the current trend of revisiting some classic shows only to give them such heavy handed treatment.
Here's the other direction: the reboot of The Munsters called Mockingbird Lane (http://tvline.com/2012/02/02/nbc-mockingbird-lane-pilot/) (still in pilot stage. No word if it's actually going to air or not.)

Then again, The Brady Bunch rebooted itself twice, first as a variety show and later as a nighttime soap, so it's not a new precedent.

But then again again, there was also Tattinger's, a nighttime soap that rebooted as a half-hour sitcom halfway through its first (and only) season.

Manuel Royal
03-20-2012, 04:18 PM
I never watched the show. The trailers for the movie make it look idiotic and desperately unfunny; yet the reviews are pretty good. This may be one of those times when a poorly-edited trailer does disservice to the movie. (Makes up for all the times I've been suckered by an expertly-edited trailer for a crappy movie.)