PDA

View Full Version : acrobat distiller?

oaktree
03-15-2012, 01:15 AM
I've been reading through LSI's requirements for uploading covers, and was surprised that they require the file to be converted to a PDF for using Adobe Distiller (a program I had never heard of before). After much digging, it seems that this program retails for something like $5k.

I saw on Aaron Shepard's page that they now accept PDFs generated with InDesign, but this software is way out of my reach financially as well, and I know I'm not technically savvy enough to use it for anything else, so I'd be spending hundreds of dollars on a PDF converter.

Am I missing some obvious solution? How are the rest of you generating your PDF files?

Medievalist
03-15-2012, 01:41 AM
I'm on a Mac; it's built into the OS.

Distiller comes with the full version of Adobe's Acrobat.

I don't know if this will work but you might try Ghost Script on Windows.

The primary thing to worry about is the fonts; I'd use basic fonts (Times New Roman, Verdana, etc.).

And you need to find out if LS still requires embedded fonts; last time I used them they did, but I suspect that might not be the case today.

Are you sure you want to go with LS rather than Lulu or CreateSpace or any number of options that won't require you to buy in bulk and ship?

oaktree
03-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Thank you!

We'd actually planned on doing a combination of LS and CS... CS for distribution with amazon, and LS so that we could have our titles sold on B&N without having to use CS's expanded distribution, because the required 60% discount would force our prices too high. Also, we have a middle-grade coming out in August/September that we were hoping to produce in a hardback edition, and CS doesn't offer that option.