Issue 1 (critiques welcomed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satori1

Fall (all critiqs welcomed)

Issue 1

Page
Afternoon-In a small blue car, Donald and his family are driving through the mountains, towards their new home. Donald’s father is in the driver’s seat and his mother sits beside him looking out the window with an annoyed expression. Sitting backwards in the car seat, with his arms folded across his chest, Donald glares through the window.
Dad: (taps a tune against the steering wheel) Come now, son. We should be coming into town soon so try to behave pleasantly.
Donald: Hmph!
Dad: (smiles) Your sister seems to be enjoying the ride.
Don: (glances at Silver)
Silv: (gives Don a flat glare)
Don: Do you really want to compare me to her?
Silv: Why not?
Don: Because you’re weird.
Silv: (smirks) I’ll show you weird. (flashes her black fingernails as she prepares to pounce on Donald)

Page 2
Donald’s mom becomes more irritated as her children pull at each others cheeks and whatever other body parts they can get to.
Mom: (turns to back) Shut it up you two. (they continue to fight) Don’t make me come back there. (reaches in the back and tries to break them apart)
Dad: (wears an amused expression because of the situation, and his wife’s behind which is flailing around in the air) We’re here.
Kids and mom pause their fight in order to look at downtown.
Far shot of car entering town:
Don: Great, it’s a ghost town.
Silv: I like the seclusion.
Don: You would.
Silv: (growls) What do you mean by that?

Page 8
Shopping inside a vintage clothing store in the downtown Angela’s mom, Mrs. Loveless, glances at Angela, who has her head bent towards the ground, and her sons which are examining a gutter.
Andy: (looking into gutter) I bet it goes to China
Ally: No actually…it goes to the underworld. I saw it on television.
Andy: Stop lying Ally. It goes to China.
Ally: No, its true. And if you stare at it long enough, you’ll be able to see dead souls at the bottom.
Andy: (looks harder into gutter and hears water rushing at the bottom)(shivers)
Ally: (nudges him)
Ally: (falls onto gutter’s bars and screams)
Andy: (laughs, but pauses when he sees car coming)

Page 9
Ang (wh): They’re here
The car swerves unsteadily and through the windows, they can see that Donald has his sister pinned against the seat, while his mother is yelling at both of them.
Mom: (yells) Donald, you let your sister go, right now.
Donald leans forward to look at Angela. Their gaze is broken by Silver who forces Donald off and they begin fighting again.
Andy: Whoa! Talk about your dysfunctional family, eh Angela.
Angela: (staring down the road at the disappearing car)
Andy: Angela
Andy cringes at the commotion that erupts inside the store behind him.

Page 10
Breathless, Mrs. Loveless bursts through the store’s doors, wearing its apparel. The owner, ranting in a foreign language, follows after her.
Lov: (shades eyes against the sun, trying to catch a glimpse of the car) Was that…them?
Ang: (timidly, steps away from mom)
Lov: Oh Ange, I swear you’re completely useless most of the time. Don’t walk away from me. (catches Ange by the shoulder and presses her against her body) Now, tell mommy what you saw.
Ally: She saw nothing because she was too busy gawking at a boy in the car.
Lov: A boy? Your age I suppose. Well now…(wags her finger in Angela’s face while smiling) No, flirting for you until you’re your sister’s age. (releases her)
Ang: (exhales)
Lov: Amelia, come on, we gotta split!

Page 11
Aml: (exits store wearing a yellow hat) Mommy, don’t you think this hat looks just lovely on me.
Lov: Yes dear, now get in the car.
The boys are already in the car and Angela is about to get in.
Aml: (bumps into Angela as she squeezes past her and into the front seat)(smiles)
Owner: (rants)
Lov: Thanks for the clothes, just charge it to my account k. (winks eye at the store owner and zooms off) Love ya!
Owner: (folds arms and grumbles)

Page 12
Family, except for Donald, is standing outside the car admiring their new 1-story house with garage. All enter house except for dad and Donald.
Dad: Donald, get out the car.
Don: (grumbles and grudgingly comes out) I’ll come out but I’m not going inside.
Dad: Fine, then you can sleep out here.
Don: (under breath) I’m looking forward to it
Dad: (turns away from Donald and goes inside)
Don: (kicks rock) Stupid town…why did we hafta move…I was perfectly happy where I was. Just me and my crew. (sits down on steps)
Lady 1: (walks across lawn towards him with jell-o mold in hand) Hey there!
Don (th): Maybe if I close my eyes, everything will return to the way it was. (closes eyes)

Page 13
Lady 1: (standing over him) Wake up sonny-boy and lemme git a good look at’cha
Don: (opens eyes) Definitely not the way it was. (stands)
Lady 1: (examines him) Ah, now you’re a handsome fella. Bet your parents just as good-looking. They here?
Don: (while looking at her peculiarly) Mom, company!
Dad: (opens door) Hello!
Lady 1: (slaps Donald on the shoulder) Now, whaddit I tellya. (chuckles)
Dad: I’m Mr. Trenton, please come in.
Lady 1: Don’t mind if I do. (enters house)

Page 14
Don: (grasps head and groans) Why me? (plunks down on steps and looks up)
Several other women, some with children, and all carrying jell-o molds, walk towards Donald.
Don: Oh look, there’s more of them. And they brought their spawns of evil.
The women completely disregard Donald and walk inside his house.
Don (th): Oh yeah, open invitation. Just walk straight into my house…hey, did I just say my house (notices there are now a group of whispering children looking at him)
Girl 1 (wh): He’s kinda mean looking.
Girl 2 (wh): Yeah, but he sure is cute.
Don: Do you want something?
Group of kids part in the back.
Eins: Move it! Outta my way! I said move, people.
Don: (stands up to see who approaches)

Page 15
Eins: (pushes himself through kids to Donald) Hello, maybe I can be of some assistance.
Don: (grimaces at his nerdish garb) Who are you?
Eist: My name is Einstein, the genius of the town, and I’ve come to give you some information. But first…(turns attention to the kids) Go away, all of you. There’s nothing to see here.
Kids turn to leave.
Don: Why’re you tellin them to go. (picks ears) I was hoping they’d like to play a game or something.
Hopeful, the kids turn back around.
Don: (smiles at them)
Eist: Oh ho. That’s just it. Around here, we don’t play games. It’s one of our “implied” rules. (gestures with hands)
Don: (glowers down at him)

Page 16
Don: (steps towards him) No, here’s the deal. Because I despise this town so much and I’m really in the mood for startin some trouble, I’m gonna make it my business to break every rule I can. Starting with this one.
Girl 1: See I told you he was scary.
Girl 2: Uh huh.
Eist: (shrinks away from Donald) Alright, as long as it’s a quiet game.
Don: (smiles) Cool, we’ll play prison break. (places hand on Einstein’s shoulder) And you’re gonna be our first prisoner.
Eint: (forces a smile)

Page 17
Inside Angela’s house which is dimly lit and having few pieces of furniture including a television that is sitting on the floor. Mrs. Loveless has a jell-o mold in hand and is preparing to leave out the front door.
Lov: (yells) Alright kids, you all have fun doing whatever it is that you do. I’ll be back tonight. (steps out door and is surprised to see Nathan leaning against house) Oh, Nathan, you scared me.
Nath: Evening, Mrs. Loveless, is Amelia ready?
The rest of his crew silently watches them.
Lov: I guess. Is she going somewhere?
Nath: Yeah, to that new family’s house.
Lov: Well then, she’ll be out in a minute. You guys have fun. Bye. (walks away, swaying her hips)
Nath: Bye (smirks at his crew and they smile in return)

Page 18
Angela’s house-- Amelia is preparing to leave.
Aml: (smoothes blouse) C’mon boys.
The boys enter the living room from a side hall.
Ally: We’re comin. I just had to get Andy dressed.
Aml: (opens door)
Ang (wh): Am I going?
Aml: No, you stay here. I wouldn’t want you to embarrass me in front of Na…(turns to see Nathan smiling at her) Hey, Nathan.
Ally and Amelia exit house.
Andy: (whispers to Angela before leaving) Ange, I’ll bring back some jell-o for you.
Ange: (partly smiles)
Door closes and she is left in the dark house.

Page 19
Nathan, Amelia, and crew walk down the street towards their new neighbors’ house.
Nath: So, you ready to meet this new kid?
Aml: Yeah, I was born ready. (th) Even though I’ve never welcomed in a new member, before. (frowns) What is that awful noise?
Standing across the street from the new house they see a group of kids playing prison break on the lawn. Holding hands, the kids are divided into two long lines, facing each other.
Screaming the entire distance, Einstein runs across the field in a nerdish manner and tries to break through a link in the opposite line but is easily repelled. Angela’s brothers grin at each other in amusement then turn to look back at Amelia.
Aml: (glowers at brothers)
Ron: Apparently, Einstein didn’t inform him of the rules.
A.J.: Yeah

Page 20
Nath: Then let’s pay our friend a visit
The two girls who have a crush on Donald prepare to call over the next prisoner.
Girl 2: I call…
Girl 1: (whispers in Girl 2’s ear)
Girl 2: (coyly) Donald!
Don: (smirks) Don’t think I’ll go easy because you’re girls.
Kids: (unison) Prison Break!
Don: (sprints towards them)
Girls: (giggle as they try to hold their composer)
Girl 1: (looking towards street) Look
Girl 2: (looks)
They slowly release each other’s grip.

Page 21
Don: (Easily sprints through their hands, expecting resistance. He tries to slow himself down but ends up slipping and falling instead.)(Stands with fists clenched) The point of this game is to stop me from breaking through. (turns around) What part of that don’t you understand?!! (sees Nathan and lowers fist)
Nath: (Standing between the two lines) Donald, is it?
Don: So, I see you’ve come for me. (looks down, smirking to himself) I knew my old leader would send out the good word for me. I just didn’t expect you to come so quickly. (reaches out to shake his hand) It’s a pleasure to meet you

Page 22
Nath: (looks down at Donald’s hand) Einstein.
Don: (embarrassed look and is still holding out his hand)
Eins: (hesitantly breaks away from line) Yes boss.
Nath: I thought I told you to tell him about the rules.
Eins: (approaches him) I did sir. (glares at Donald) But he wouldn’t listen.
Nath: A tough guy, I see.
Don: (lowers hand) Toughest around. I’m sure you were told of my accomplishments. I’ve been apart of three gangs and this will be my fourth…
Nath: What makes you so sure we’ve come here for you?

Page 23
Don: Well I just thought…
Aml: We came here for your sister.
Don: (baffled) My sister? What possibly could you want with her?
Ron: Our crew is only composed of teenagers. The real question is…why would we want a kid like you.
A.J.: So is your sister in the house? Or not?
Don: (annoyed) Yes
Nathan and his crew walks away.
Nath: And do us a favor, stop playing that silly little child’s game.
Don: (prepares to go after him but is subdued by kids)(growls) You’ll regret this!

Page 24
Aml: Cute kid.
Nath: He’s a little too stubborn for me but he’ll come around.
Crew: (smirks)
Nath: (opens door to Donald’s home) Now, let’s find this girl.
Donald’s mom is at her daughter’s bedroom door.
Mom: (knocks on door) It’s me, dear.
Silv: Come in
Mom: (enters dark room and flicks on the light)
Silver’s room is bare except for a bed and dresser. Silver is lying on her bed.
What are doing in this dark room?

Page 25
Silv: Nothing
Mom: Well get up. I just saw a sweet bunch of teenagers walk in and I’m sure they won’t mind your company.
Silv: Mom, I don’t do sweet teenagers.
Mom: Why not?
Silv: Because they’ll think I’m a freak.
Mom: (frowns) Silver Trenton, you get up out that bed now.
Silv: (grudgingly gets up)
Mom: (Come on. Grabs her by the hand and ushers her out the room.)

Page 26
Mom (th): (looks down at Silver as they walk through hall) I’m tired of you sulking around in your room all the time. If I’m gonna make new friends in this new neighborhood, so will you. (Stops a few yards from where Nathan’s crew is standing. Nathan is holding a cup.) There they are.
Nath (th): (scans room and sees Silver) There she is.
Silv: (whines) Mom
Mom: (glares sternly)
Silv: Fine, I’ll go.
Mom: That’s my girl

Page 27
Mom: (smiles at Silver who approaches Nathan)
Nath: So, we finally get to meet you. I’m Nathan and this is Amelia, Ron, and A.J..
Silv: (looks at them suspiciously) My name’s Silver. And, why did you want to meet me?
Nath: (smiles) Make her feel comfortable, Sam, and explain the gist of our operations.
Aml: (smiles at Nathan and links her arm around Silver’s) Well, to start with…
Mom: (walks away smiling)

Page 28
Night falls and the last family leaves. Mom is sitting on the couch, rubbing her temples and dad collapses beside her.
Dad: (exclaims) I never knew neighbors could be so friendly.
Mom: (moans) Mn. I need to take a couple of pills.
Don: (walks past them with shoulders slumped and a scowl on his face)
Mom: So how did your evening go, Donald?
Don: Fine (turns down side hall)
Dad: (glances at wife) I’ll go talk to him
Mom: Good luck

Page 29
Dad: (knocks on Donald’s door) May I come in son?
Don: Yeah, whatever.
Dad: (enters)(Donald is lying on his bed with his face in the pillow.) You know Donald, I’m very proud of you for trying to cope with this town by playing with those children today.
Don: I hate this place
Dad: Well, that’s beside the point. This is your home know and tomorrow you’ll start your first day of school.
Don: (groans and sits up to face his dad who is holding a uniform in his hand) What is that?
Dad: Oh this, its your new uniform. Your teacher dropped it by. (holds up uniform)
Don: (grimaces) I’m not gonna wear that.

Last edited:

emerald dragonfly

Registered
Reaction score
VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!! I am impressed............ :Clap: I may not be an expert on comics/magna or anything in that form, but this "reading" kept me reading and wanting to read more. Good job!!

emerald dragonfly

Satori1

thank you very much for replying and I'm sooo happy that you are impressed. Makes me want to write another issue. *wanders off* Until Next Time

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I enjoyed the story, and I thought you'd had a pretty good grasp of dialogue. What puzzled me was your page numbers. I see no seperation between panels and now and again only a little artistic direction. Obviously, there's no tried-and-true wayto write a comic book script, it's up to you, but it puzzled me a bit. Is each dialogue exchange a seperate panel on the page? Or did I miss something?

Still, it read well, and I did enjoy it. So bravo. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.