PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever taken a serious personality quiz?

Puddle Jumper
12-22-2005, 03:41 AM
There have been some fun quizzes posted but I was wondering if anyone here has ever gone through a serious personality quiz - such as attending a seminar or taking one in class or a serious one on the internet, etc... If so, would you care to share any of your results?

I attended a seminar some years ago and found the results to be right on. It gave me tons of information, but here's one little paragraph that sums it up nicely...

Advocate/Peacemaker/One who is an agent
Advocates can be very detail-oriented. They are steady, sociable individuals who strive for positive relationships at work and at home. They tend toward individualism and independence. It is difficult to change his/her mind once it is made up. They like people and tend to support the underdog. They may take opposing sides of a disagreement and feel frustrated if things do not go their way. Advocates need to be accepted as part of the team, and they want people to like them. Decisions are difficult for them to make unless their parameters of authority are clearly defined. They tend to be moderate, thorough, and dependable.

Anyone else have anything?

scarletpeaches
12-22-2005, 03:44 AM
Personality tests seem to be universally tactful, which, if you want true answers, isn't helpful. I've yet to see one that says, "You're selfish, disloyal and overbearing."

That said, I tend to avoid personality tests as it would take too long to do one for each personality I have.

Puddle Jumper
12-22-2005, 03:52 AM
Personality tests seem to be universally tactful, which, if you want true answers, isn't helpful. I've yet to see one that says, "You're selfish, disloyal and overbearing."

That said, I tend to avoid personality tests as it would take too long to do one for each personality I have.
Not the one I took. The one I took had a couple lists. One list listed the strengths and weaknesses of my personality and the other listed how my behavior is when I'm under control and when I've lost control of my emotions. So it gave me a fair and honest look at my personality type - both the positives and the negatives.

For example. . . under control I'm reliable but out of control I'm dependent. Under control I'm softhearted, out of control I'm easily manipulated.

It explained that weaknesses are strengths pushed to an extreme. So if I'm pushed to far I can start to exhibit the following weakenesses - stingy, fearful, indecisive, selfish, shy, etc...

So in my opinion, a good personality quiz will tell you both the positive and negative aspects to your personality.

rtilryarms
12-22-2005, 04:00 AM
I did.

I failed.

Whatever that means.

Unique
12-22-2005, 04:10 AM
The weirdest one I ever took was called the Edwards Personal Preference Schedule. I seriously could not and still cannot fathom how they could gather useful information from it.

It asked questions like:

Would you rather have sex with your mother or your father? (HUH? ICK!)

If you were going to kill (X) would you prefer to stab them or bludgeon them? (SAY WHAT?)

All I really remember about is that 99% of the questions were weird. You couldn't pick NONE of the above - that wasn't an option. I never forgot the name of it because I asked, 'What the *&^^ was that test?' And Edwards was part of the name of a local university. So it always stuck in my mind.

It was creepy. If any professionals care to debate the questions - feel free. Those were the types of questions I had and that was the name they told me. Never again. I felt nasty just reading the questions.

Yeshanu
12-22-2005, 04:43 AM
Wow! Unique, I'll have to look that one up.

I took psychology in undergrad, so I've taken a few of them. I was also shown how often the descriptions on said tests are so general as to be fairly useless...

The one I've run into most is the Myer's-Briggs Type Indicater, and on that I'm an INFP, or Introverted (I tend to recharge by being alone), iNtuitive (I gather information via intuition, rather than my senses), Feeling (I make decisions based on my gut reaction, rather than "the facts") and Perceiving (which is the only label that doesn't fit with the description -- it means I'm flexible and disorganized).

It's fairly accurate, although at times I (and everyone else) uses their "weak" areas (I can be logical, and make decisions based on facts, for instance).

There's lots of different tests out there, and they all tend to be losely based on Jungian archtypes, although I admit that this Edwards Personal Preference Schedule is over the top in weirdness...

Moondancer
12-22-2005, 04:56 AM
The MMPI, which is more for detecting personality disorders and psychosis, Myers-Briggs, and the Ineagram (sp?), and I can't remember how many others... They are part of what I studied in college. I figured out how to fake the MMPI which isn't easy since it's a mile long. I've always considered the Myers-Briggs to be one of the weakest tests I've ever seen yet it always seems to be the most popular.

Yeshanu
12-22-2005, 05:00 AM
I've always considered the Myers-Briggs to be one of the weakest tests I've ever seen yet it always seems to be the most popular.

... possibly because it's the most promoted, and easy for a layperson to understand. Advertising dollars and simplicity count, even in personality testing. (Sad, isn't it?)

scarletpeaches
12-22-2005, 05:01 AM
I believe you can tell a lot about someone's personality from what they're like.

SusanR
12-22-2005, 05:05 AM
I took the MMPI when I was a resident in psychiatry. It told me I would make a good caregiver, that I liked to be in charge, and that I tended to suppress and minimize personal problems. Also they told me my test results were valid.

I was underwhelmed.

SusanR

veinglory
12-22-2005, 05:26 AM
The Minnesota Multiphase is a blast. Last normed mid-America mid-50s--if it said I was normal I would be worried. It had questions like 'are you attracted to tall woman' -- according to the calculations yes=wimp, no= homosexual

many big companies still use this test

Optimus
12-22-2005, 07:23 AM
I've never really understood many businesses using non-job-performance-based personality tests to pre-test for job performance (this baffles both me and my I/O psychology professors). I think it comes from a vast miscomprehension on the companies' parts of: a) what the tests are actually "measuring" and b) what qualities actually significantly contribute to job performance.

*shrug*

Oh well. As far as personality tests, the MMPI isn't really used all that much anymore, at least not by many people in psychology or psychology research. As someone else, mentioned, both it and the theories behind it are so outdated it's laughable.

The main personality test used these days is based on either the "Big Five Factors" or the "Five Factor Model" of personality (things like conscientiousness, openess, agreeableness, extraversion, etc.) The two approaches are pretty much the same (separating personality into 5 main components, each with its own continuum scale) yet do have slight differences. There are several scales available, based on either the Big Five (B5) and the Five Factor Model scale (FFM). The most commonly used these days is the NEO-PI-R.

I've yet to take it but I've read many studies on it. Seems to be pretty reliable and a lot more useful than past tests (like the MMPI) have been. Here's a link to an article which explains them, if anyone's interested.

http://www.personalityresearch.org/bigfive.html

*shrug*

Who knows. I'm interested in it, now, so I may take it next month just for the hell of it.

Actually, it might be a fun idea to let a few people here take it, and I'll score it, and send them the results.

Lemme stew on that one first, though, and see how many people are interested and if I have the sanity...er...I mean...time to score them. ;)

Azure Skye
12-22-2005, 07:26 AM
I believe you can tell a lot about someone's personality from what they're like.

Score!!

I've taken those tests. They're kinna fun but I don't need a test to tell me I'm messed up.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Optimus
12-22-2005, 07:31 AM
I kind of agree with scarlet, et al.

I've yet to see a test whose score says, "You're a d!ck."

But, I sure can tell that someone is by talking to them.

Dawno
12-22-2005, 07:37 AM
When my father was taking psychometry he gave my sister and I the MMPI. If he shared the results I don't remember it. I do remember him saying they normed it against the family members of people in an asylum...

At work (I was in HR) I took Meyers-Briggs and it was evaluated by a certified consultant. (ENTJ here) as well as ID (Instinctive Drives) which is a group out of Australia. That one is quite different and very interesting. Both tests were pretty accurate based on feedback I got from my peers and supervisors.

Pat~
12-22-2005, 07:40 AM
I've taken the MMPI and Myers-Briggs (I was INFP)...

reph
12-22-2005, 08:27 AM
An online, short version of the Myers-Briggs found me to be an INTJ. The profile explained some things pretty well. It gave me some "So that's why..." moments. It said I dress for comfort and utility, I like things to make sense, and I don't understand social rituals. Maybe those last two points are related, huh?

I haven't taken the test Puddle Jumper took, but the description of PJ from that test fits me, except the part about wanting people to like me.

Shadow_Ferret
12-22-2005, 08:30 AM
I don't think a "serious personality test" is any less generalized than one of the blog for fun ones.

I don't see how a list of questions, no matter how detailed, can give you an accurate mapping of your personality.

I think only a trained professional psychoanalyst can accurately assess youre "personality" after several sessions.

Puddle Jumper
12-22-2005, 08:36 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Myers-Brig test?

The one I took was an all day seminar and the test was called D.I.S.C. I was a high S. D's are the outgoing task-oriented leaders, I's are the outgoing people-oriented group, S's are the reserved people-oriented group, and C's are the reserved task-oriented people. While the test gave you generals for each of those four groups, based on a series of questions you answered you plotted your answers on a graph and based on the way your graph looked, it directed you to a much more precise personality profile. So being an S personality is rather general but within the S category there are six more specific and precise personality profiles which I fell under the Advocate profile which was a lot more specific than the overall description of what S people are like. D's, I's, and C's each had five specific profiles each under them. From all the personality tests I've seen and taken, this was the most extensive, but maybe because I actually went to an all day seminar.

I've looked it up on the web site, unfortunately it's rather expensive to buy one of their tests and they don't have an online deal.

reph
12-22-2005, 11:16 AM
A test similar to the Myers-Briggs is here:

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

It doesn't look exactly like the one I took. There are variations around.

writerterri
12-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I found IQ.com and took the test. At the end they wanted 9.95 to send me the results. I guess they were hoping I was stupid. Duh-

Celia Cyanide
12-22-2005, 06:46 PM
I took the MMPI when I was going to donate my eggs. I flunked. Not only did they think that donating my eggs would not be good for me, but they told me I needed a therapist right away, and gave me a bunch of phone numbers. They said they found evidence of post-traumatic stress syndrome.

PeeDee
12-22-2005, 07:39 PM
Taking personality tests is just another way for the Big Five to ensure they know where all their little minions are. It lets them know how to control you! Instead of taking the tests, wear tin foil hats instead.

I mean, I don't need a test to tell me I'm normal. ;)

writerterri
12-23-2005, 02:21 AM
Taking personality tests is just another way for the Big Five to ensure they know where all their little minions are. It lets them know how to control you! Instead of taking the tests, wear tin foil hats instead.

I mean, I don't need a test to tell me I'm normal. ;)

Or to tell you you're off. *grin*

wearing my foil hat....

veinglory
12-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Nothing like learning about a technology to lose all respect for it. In one clinicl psyc course i covered personality and IQ tests and got a D class certificate in ussing the physiogrph ('lie detector'.)

Fortunately I now know how to fake any of these to give whatever result seems called for :)

DamaNegra
12-23-2005, 02:54 AM
I once did an online test for knowing what I did best (or what was the best career for me). Oddly enough, the results page always opened blank. Other members of my family tried it and they got their results just nice. No matter how many times I did the darned thing, I still got my results page fully loaded except for the part that was supposed to give me my results. :( It basically told me I wasn't fit for being anything.

Unique
12-23-2005, 02:55 AM
No, no! Dama, it's telling you that you can be anything!

writerterri
12-23-2005, 10:44 AM
I like to pretend like I'm psychotic, which isn't hard. The end result is a phone number where I can get help.

Carole
12-23-2005, 04:45 PM
Which one of your personalities said that?!

*grin*

Carole
12-23-2005, 04:47 PM
My results usually say generous, warm hearted, kind, affectionate, submissive, introverted yet social (?) and that sort of thing, but I have never known if that is the conditioning I have received most of my life. Maybe I just answer the questions the way I have believed the world wanted to see me. Maybe the way the world wants to see me has finally taken over. Maybe underneath, I am actually Jackie the Ripper. *shrugs*

Shwebb
12-24-2005, 08:08 PM
I've had the MMPI--which said I could be psychotic (but I'm not--I just have a good imagination).

I had the TAT (Thematic Apperception Test) where they show you pictures and you make up stories. Don't know how I did on that one.

Also had the Rorshach test. (You know, the inkblots?) That test was exhausting, believe it or not. You go through the cards saying what you see, and then you have to explain what it is about the cards that makes you think it looks like two ducks playing cards at a table. I seem to remember that something about that test result said I had schizophrenic tendencies. (WRONG, again!)

I had an IQ test once when I was severely depressed, and the guy who gave the test wasn't too impressed w/ my performance. He asked me for some schooling background, and I'd mentioned I'd been in the gifted classes. He wrote in his report that my IQ was 89, and that I did not appear "gifted" to him. I was pretty succinct in my answers to him; he did not appear interested in anything I had to say, so why say it? (I still have a good laugh over that one!)

A lot of these tests require a good history to give a grounding point on the person being tested. Given that most people who do intake couldn't care less about the person sitting in front of him/her, I can't imagine that the test results could be that accurate.

It was amusing to take these tests--never found a problem w/ the tests, just the people giving them and interpreting the results.
(The only thing I really learned is that I'm an elephant in a room full of blind men.)

cool_st_elizabeth
12-24-2005, 08:55 PM
I'm an Architect, INTP I believe, for whatever that's worth.

Mike Coombes
12-25-2005, 12:36 AM
I once took a serious personality test.

Turns out I don't have a serious personality.

PeeDee
12-25-2005, 01:28 AM
You get re-directed to a page that says:

"THE POLICE HAVE BEEN ALERTED.

Please remain where you are peacefully.

Thank you."