PDA

View Full Version : Swordmaking questions.

EzzyAlpha
03-12-2012, 09:54 PM
Hi, I have a few questions about swords and sword making.

1- How long would a longsword take to be made by a masterful swordsmith?

2- Can gold be used in an alloy to make a sword? I am under the impression a pure gold sword would be too malleable.

3-Would a gold-alloy sword look like gold? If not, how could that effect be accomplished while also making it a good combat sword?

It's fairly important that the sword is golden.

Lil
03-12-2012, 10:01 PM
Would it suffice to gild the hilt? Or possibly have some sort of gilt design on the blade?

EzzyAlpha
03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Nope, it must look like pure gold.

Worse case scenario I'll say it's magic :Shrug:

Drachen Jager
03-12-2012, 10:09 PM
Has to be magic then. No traditional blacksmithing technique will give you a golden coloured sword that has any strength. It would break at the first hit.

As for time it depends a little on how masterful the swordsmith is, the period you're talking about and the techniques he uses. If he's folding in the Japanese style it would take much longer for instance.

EzzyAlpha
03-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Magic it is then.

MeretSeger
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
Unless bronze would work: it polishes up like gold. But don't even think about crossing swords with iron or steel. It would be like butter.

An alchemist would have fun with this one. Not only making gold, but gold strong as steel.

Drachen Jager
03-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Not to mention that gold would be twice as heavy as steel. Those things pushed the limits of human strength and endurance in battle to begin with.

thothguard51
03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Gold can be introduced into the molten stage of making steel from what I have read. Depending on the mix, it would give the finished product a gold glint when turned in the light certain ways. But, mixing any soft metal with steel, dilutes the strength of the steel, depending on the thickness of the blade and the skill of the sword-smith.

Snick
03-12-2012, 11:51 PM
It might be possible to have it coated with iron-bronze. Gold wouldn't mix with iron, and copper doesn't mix well. It might be possible to have the color after tempering be something like gold.

Buffysquirrel
03-13-2012, 01:45 AM
Handwavium. Works very well :).

ironmikezero
03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Handwavium. Works very well :).

Especially when alloyed with unobtainium...;)

Drachen Jager
03-13-2012, 02:28 AM
Dilithium crystals and energon too, to give it power.

frimble3
03-13-2012, 07:17 AM
Make a really good sword, in iron or steel, then cover it in gold leaf, and a layer of varnish. A paper thin layer of gold, but real gold. You'd have to line the sheath, probably, to stop the gold wearing off too quickly, and carry a little package of gold leaf and 'size' to adhere it to the sword (for touch-ups). But if you flourish the sword before the fight, and tuck it away quickly afterwards, the damage should be hard to spot.
But I would think the malleability and weight of gold would make people suspicious of the 'golden' sword.

thothguard51
03-13-2012, 08:15 AM
If set in modern times, the is alway electro plating...

EzzyAlpha
03-13-2012, 06:43 PM
It's Epic Fantasy of sorts.

I was thinking of making it from a rare ore the dwarf analogues use instead of gold.